Ruger is introducing their Blackhawk and GP100 in .327 Fed. Mag.!

This is a discussion on Ruger is introducing their Blackhawk and GP100 in .327 Fed. Mag.! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Blackhawk will have "8 beans in the wheel" and the GP100 will be a "seven shooter"! The Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Blackhawk will have "8 beans in the wheel" and the GP100 will be a "seven shooter"!

The Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel will be "the cat's pajamas" for an all-around "woodstramping" as well as medium-sized game hunting revolver! (If you can't take a whitetail deer with a 115-grain Gold Dot hollowpoint leaving that barrel at 1725 fps, you would be better off taking up knitting!)

Scott

I too am pretty impressed with the ballistics of the 327FedMag and have been inches from buying an SP101 in the same chambering for my wife.

I would definitely like one of those blackhawks, but none of the local gun shops seem too interested in them. Good thing I live 35 miles from the factory....

Now if we could get Winchester and Marlin to introduce lever actions 327 FEDMAG the fate of the 327 would not be in question. The stew pot runneth over. Varmits beware. I was hoping they would release 327 in Single Six, or even a Bearcat weight platform. But the Blackhawk 8 hole will work just fine.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If Ruger would have put the 327 in the Single Six I would have been impressed. The Blackhawk and GP100 are just too heavy for a Trail Gun, which is what a 327 is. If I am carrying that much weight it will be a .357, 44 or 45 LC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Now if we could get Winchester and Marlin to introduce lever actions 327 FEDMAG the fate of the 327 would not be in question. The stew pot runneth over. Varmits beware. I was hoping they would release 327 in Single Six, or even a Bearcat weight platform. But the Blackhawk 8 hole will work just fine.
    Well, first, you'd have to convince Winchester to start making lever actions again...last time I checked, production of the '94 ceased a couple years ago, and has never been restarted.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I dont think they will ever put that in a Single Six platform, the 22LR/Mag will own that spot forever i believe. The SP-101 will probably be the smallest available in 327. I think a good ol'e six shot Blackhawk in 327 would be nice, not too heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Another caliber to re-load, sigh.

I can see the 8 shot Blackhawk in a 7 1/2 inch as a Varmit hunter and if you didn't already own a 6 inch 6 shot .357 magnum I could see owning one in a 5 and half inch barrel to fill that role... but I still don't think it has the versatility of the .357/38 in that role. I see very little use for it myself.

One more cartridge to excite the market. It doesn't do anything better than a .357, so if you have to have one, by all means get one.

You haven't seen what happens when they rechamber a 6 1/2" barreled S&W Model 16 (in .32 H&R Magnum) for the .327 Fed. Mag, have you? It has taken a number of deer, bobcats and other rather tenacious game.

Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    You haven't seen what happens when they rechamber a 6 1/2" barreled S&W Model 16 (in .32 H&R Magnum) for the .327 Fed. Mag, have you? It has taken a number of deer, bobcats and other rather tenacious game.

Think about it.
    Does it do a better job than a 686?

Bravo Foxtrot Delta.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I agree, the 327 is best suited as a varmit cartridge in open country. How does this best the 357 / 38 in anyway? I just don't see it.
    It would make a great Jack Rabbit lever gun but a .223 is better..............

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    If Ruger would have put the 327 in the Single Six I would have been impressed. The Blackhawk and GP100 are just too heavy for a Trail Gun, which is what a 327 is. If I am carrying that much weight it will be a .357, 44 or 45 LC.
    I'm with you RebelRabbi, the weight to payload ratio doesn't work for me. I hope nobody tries to take a whitetail with one. Would be more of a stunt than a sporting proposition.

It has been done numerous times with converted Single-Sixes and Model 16-4 revolvers. The beauty of this arrangement is the light recoil and multiple cartridge capability. It shoots the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Fed Magnum. You can only load the .38 Special so light. While it may not have the use on heavier game, the .327 Federal will perform beter than you think.

There's been a 9.5" barreled Ruger Single-Six in .32 H&R Magnum, that's been relisted a number of times. Rechambering that for the .327 Fed. Mag. would be an easy operation, and it would be an effective hunting revolver.

Perhaps you should try thinking "outside the box" for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    I agree, the 327 is best suited as a varmit cartridge in open country. How does this best the 357 / 38 in anyway? I just don't see it.
    It would make a great Jack Rabbit lever gun but a .223 is better..............
    A 32 cal revolver doesn't best the 357/38. But there is a valid application for it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links