When kids used to be able to play with guns

This is a discussion on When kids used to be able to play with guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I still have my old Daisy pump BB gun and 1911 BB pistol, as well as a snub cap gun (the red plastic circle caps) ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When kids used to be able to play with guns

I still have my old Daisy pump BB gun and 1911 BB pistol, as well as a snub cap gun (the red plastic circle caps) and a set of metal revolver cap guns that took the red paper rolls. I had a toy tommy gun too. We ran around with these toy guns and BB guns from the time we were able to walk. Nowadays, a kid would get expelled from school for pointing his fingers in the shape of a gun. I'd like to find one of those Matel green stick-em cap guns today. That's cool!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    The good ole days - when guns weren't bad - bad guys were bad & good guys used guns to fight them.
    For God, Family and Country!

Who remembers gun racks full of long arms in the pickups crowding the high school parking lot in the early 1970s. Our small town high school had plenty of guns on campus.

Oh man did that bring back some memories!

I had one of those, I believe it was the Mattel Fanner 50. I loved that thing too, with the Greenie Stick-em Caps and spring loaded plastic bullets.

Wonder what the sell for on E-bay?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I grew up in the 90s mostly and I used the cap guns that took the red paper roll caps and the cap revolvers that took those little plastic ring caps. The cap guns were often made of cheap plastic and wouldn't last no more than a couple weeks. I did have a few die cast metal cap guns but the trigger mechanisms would often break.

The 1950s and 60s must have been good times for you older folks out there!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

GM
    That was cool!!!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Who remembers gun racks full of long arms in the pickups crowding the high school parking lot in the early 1970s. Our small town high school had plenty of guns on campus.
    No kidding. In the country, we all went hunting and fishing after school. We all carried pocket knives too. We got in plenty of fights where you mainly ended up rolling around on the ground and spent a week in detention with the other guy and came out best friends afterwards. We also had a smoking area on campus!!!!! Yep, that's right...teenagers smoking. We didn't wear seatbelts either. My car didn't even have them in it. Go figure.

Neat!

I mostly remember the pot metal six shooters that took the paper caps on a roll and I still remember how they smelled! I bought a paper roll type cap gun for my four year old son recently and it uses those same types, I couldnt believe it. Of course its fluorescent green.

I also bought him some of those nerf dart type guns, once is a 6 shooter and the other is a side by side coach gun. You break it open to cock it and load the "shells" and put them inside the barrels. Fire it, one two, then break it open and the empty "Shells" come out. Were trying to instill simple rules with them and will work up from there.

I remember things being very different when I was a kid even, Im 33 now. Like most of you mentioned, when I was a kid, if two boys got in a scuffle, it was no big deal. Who all can remember the terms of "be home before the street lights come on"? I guess the saddest part is the inability of the law makers to see the correlation between all these things we've been forced to change and the exact opposite of the promised effect being the result.

Heck, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out if all those car laws concerning pollution are the solution we do we still have a pollution problem that seems to be getting worse?

I think I would have liked to have lived in the 30s. Everyone had guns and because everyone had the uninhibited freedom to have them no one needed them as bad as they do today.

Alex!

I played with toy pistols during the late 50s and earley 60s I used to mow lawns and also sold newspapers on a street corner to try and buy every new ons that came out and I loved every minute of growing up in that period Now the big question: What the Hell happend to our country? What happend to our people? What happend to our society?

Ha that's great, I remember seeing them in toy stores and I actually had one (back when I was a kid) that came with two cap guns and the holsters! One of the best toys I ever had lol. I tried doing a search the other day for it and came up with nothing, but couldnt remember who made it. Now that I know I have to find one again, sweet! ty

I was just telling my son and niece how as kids my friends and I played cowboys/army all the time. I had a room full of toy guns: Fanner Fifty (like in the video), civil war musket, and several what was called "pop" guns. They looked like Winchester repeaters. Cock the lever, pull the trigger and they would let off a loud pop. We'd spend hours playing...
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

You guys are depressing me. I can't even imagine being able to bring a toy gun to school let alone a real one, and a pocket knife? Only if you want to be expelled and arrested! I was born in 91 and we would get in trouble if we just ran around in the grass pointing fingers making pew pew noises, or drew a crude picture of a rifle. Zero Tolerance and all... Sometimes a trip to the school psychologist would even be in order.

I never even got a cap gun until I was 11 or 12, and believe me it wasn't easy to convince my mother that I wasn't going to go on a rampage with my cheap plastic, orange blaze cap revolver.

Cap guns were all over my neighborhood in the 50s. We also, as teenagers(16 and older) used to take our .22s and ride our bikes out to the old gravel pits to shoot up a bunch of tin cans and stuff. No one ever said a word to any of us about it, even the odd p0olice officer who passed us on the way there or back.

Those were the days. From what I can tell, all of this political correctness seems to have had the opposite affect on the younger generations. They seem more violent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Our children now grow up in a sterile world, shielded from the accidents of rough play, but exposed to pictures which would have gotten someone arrested --or certainly shamed-- in the days before Playboy, Playgirl, and similar inventions of a slightly more recent time.
    The gist of what's stated above is the most profound common-sense statement WRT the big diffrences between now and 'back then'.

What is shown on CNN is not what many of us saw (or were allowed to see) on the evening news back when........

Our schools don't teach or allow what was 'common' back when.

We, as parents, (I count myself in this statement) don't/can't/arn't allowed to teach our children in the manner 'we' were brought up. If I misbehaved in the grocery store, I got swat on my bottom (at the very least) right then. If a child gets spanked in the Wally-World parking lot someone's dialing 911. (and these days it's kinda warrented, isn't it?)

There's no one answer and every generation seems to have the same gripes about the 'younger' generation. I'm starting to believe it's our own undoing. We want, and try to, make (or even create) a better, safer America for our young'uns. This sheltering has become symptom of issues rather than the soultion 'we' were hopeing to achieve.

Just my early morning thought's aftera couple cups of coffee.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links