When kids used to be able to play with guns

This is a discussion on When kids used to be able to play with guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was surfing and found this 1950ish commercial. My, how times have changed. Kid playing with gun...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When kids used to be able to play with guns

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

When kids used to be able to play with guns

I was surfing and found this 1950ish commercial. My, how times have changed.

Kid playing with gun
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Early training gear using 'Simunitions'. :p

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    my cap guns as a kid didn't have orange tips, but they never shot green stick'ems!...I want one!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Now that is a cool toy. Of course such things are not PC these days.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    Yes, I played with many cap guns during the early 1950s. I don't recall much of an issue with even bringing them to school. Maybe, some teachers objected to the use of caps which actually put out a few sparks, but otherwise I don't believe they were contraband.

I know for sure that when I was in maybe 4th-6th grade we did not get in trouble for playing with knives. They probably were discouraged, but I recall playing with throwing knives in a vacant lot across the street from my public school during recess. Yes, we were not supposed to be there, but the teachers seemed to prefer to have us there playing with our knives than being bored stiff in the concrete paved play yard the school had.

This btw took place in what was then still a fairly decent area in The Bronx, that is, in NYC.

I still have a set of bone handled knives and a leather holster for them, one with about a 5-6 inch length and one about 3 inches, which were given to me as a present when I was about 11. I think they went with me to all my Boy Scout camping trips.

Play fighting, "cowboys and indians" "cops and robbers" was permitted so long as it didn't get out of hand. I seem to remember that water guns were prohibited, but that had to do with the mess they produced or could produce.

Our children now grow up in a sterile world, shielded from the accidents of rough play, but exposed to pictures which would have gotten someone arrested --or certainly shamed-- in the days before Playboy, Playgirl, and similar inventions of a slightly more recent time.

Senior Moderator
    We use to play mumbly-peg as school during recess all the time.

One time a friend of mine got gigged right on top of the foot. The little pocket knife cut right through his Converse tennis shoe and stuck. He pulled it out and started crying, I think it scared him more than it hurt him.

We were in the 5th grade. He ran over to the teacher and told her what happened, she told him that he should have moved his foot and sent him to the school nurse. She cleaned it, slapped a band aid on it and that was that.

Man...how things have changed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have this one with the belt. It was my moms. She nearly shot her moms eye out with it, IIRC. When you release the derringer out of the belt it shoots a small projectile I think. At least that's granny's story.

Mattel Remington Derringer Belt Buckle

That is one cool toy gun. I had a set of nice steel cap guns with turquoise grips and a matching rifle that was mom's too. Probably broke all of it, can't remember. I'm sure granny has it stashed away somewhere.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    That was neat.

Heck, now a days, that gets a kid sent to the Principles office, child protective services is sent in if not Juvenile Officers and and the kid is put on drugs for being gun happy and the parents are kid are sent to a child Psychologist to find out the childs deepest darkest secrets of why they wanted to play with a gun.

Sorry, got carried away there.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Yeah man,
    We ran around the WHOLE block, 6-8 or so boys with toy rifles, pistols, cap guns or otherwise, playing BG/Good guys, 2 or 3 times a week in the late 60's, and no one called the cops, no one thought we were hoodlums, (7-10yr olds),
    what a messed up world we live in today

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Man, what a memory JOLT. I had the Deringer belt buckle with belt & added to that the double 6 shooter cap revolvers with holster. Mine did not have the projectile caps, but did have the casings to stick the round adhesive paper caps to. Does anyone remember from the mid 60's the "Johnny Seven OMA"?

I have no clue what "OMA" designates, but what a gun (toy) 7 guns in one, can't even remember 'em all. Grenade launcher, tommy gun, dart gun, shot white plastic bullets, trigger grip detached as a hand gun, etc. what a "commando kid's" masterpiece. I even took mine to 5th grade show-n-tell ... I know the girls were bored stiff, but never a problem from the school's standpoint, boys commonly brought items from their proud arsenal to show off.

http://www.retro.net/db/images/Johnn...,_O.M.A./8883/
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Does anyone remember from the mid 60's the "Johnny Seven OMA"?

I have no clue what "OMA" designates, but what a gun (toy) 7 guns in one, can't even remember 'em all. Grenade launcher, tommy gun, dart gun, shot white plastic bullets, trigger grip detached as a hand gun, etc. what a "commando kid's" masterpiece.

TOPPER JOHNNY SEVEN O.M.A. OMA ONE MAN ARMY 1964 BOXED
    One Man Army.

Some times I wish we could go back to those times when every one wasn't so paranoid. A lot the kids today are on drugs along with there parents.

Hey that looked like Opie Taylor, or Will Robinson, I can't remember which.

Go running down the street with one of those now and there's a good chance someone's gonna freak out and call the law on ya.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I has one of these as a kid. For one bright, shining monent I was actually cool.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    That was neat.

Heck, now a days, that gets a kid sent to the Principles office, child protective services is sent in if not Juvenile Officers and and the kid is put on drugs for being gun happy and the parents are kid are sent to a child Psychologist to find out the childs deepest darkest secrets of why they wanted to play with a gun.

Sorry, got carried away there.
    Unfortunately you're not far off.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links