Video: Guy tries to snatch LEO's gun

This is a discussion on Video: Guy tries to snatch LEO's gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Another who would have liked to see a more assertive and timely response from offer #2. And the other responders, for that matter....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video: Guy tries to snatch LEO's gun

Another who would have liked to see a more assertive and timely response from offer #2. And the other responders, for that matter.
    God, country, family.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    The reaction of the other LEO standing there was very slow! I wonder what in the earth he was thinking about so it took so long time before he helped his partner; it could have cost both of them their lives.
    Last edited by GM; January 11th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Cop #2 took way too long to react then took way too long to draw.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Why is this the ONLY video or mention of this instance on the internet? Something doesn't pass the sniff test.

Four words for the gun grabber: Future Darwin Award Winner.

This is why a retention device is nice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    gun removal by a suspect is an officers nightmare. I've had it come close, and believe me you move FAST. All bets are off...the fight is on, anything goes.
    yep....anything

we came close to breaking some arms/dislocating elbows in the academy and yearly training on weapons retention
    the reactions caused by this training is second nature, if I feel someone/something touch my pistol its on auto pilot, one of my buddies learned this a few months ago as he came up behind me (at the station) and grabbed my gun

it will be ugly if someone tries to get my pistol on the street

I think the first officer needed to be facing the other direction towards where people will be coming from and I think some more movement would be desirable too
    the second officer took way too long to spring into action
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

cj
    Good example of 'Condition White'.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    ...and that is why some sort of retention holster is necessary for open carry.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

When cop #2 got behind the idiot, he had his gun pointed at the idiots back.....now, what if he shot the idiot? Wouldn't it over penetrate at that close range and hit his partner?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    When cop #2 got behind the idiot, he had his gun pointed at the idiots back.....now, what if he shot the idiot? Wouldn't it over penetrate at that close range and hit his partner?
    could be bad ju-ju if he fired
    plus having the gun out at contact range isn't the best idea in the world either
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

I'm not a cop, and I am a firm believer that one does not know how they will act or react in a situation. But my first thought is why didnít cop one punch dude in the face? I think that would be my first reaction. Can one of the LEOs chime in; is that an acceptable thing to do or can an officer get into trouble for reacting to a threat in that manner?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    I'm not a cop, and I am a firm believer that one does not know how they will act or react in a situation. But my first thought is why didnít cop one punch dude in the face? I think that would be my first reaction. Can one of the LEOs chime in; is that an acceptable thing to do or can an officer get into trouble for reacting to a threat in that manner?
    no, will not get into trouble
    see my post above quoting Blue Jacket.....anything goes
    at this point the BG has attempted to get your firearm...a deadly weapon....we are trained to react at this point to do whatever it takes to stop that threat

story time....this was in training...as real as it gets without it really happening......
    In my academy hell week/swat week/whatever week its called in your area, we were subjected to scenarios to see how we would react
    me and my "partner" went up against a guy in a scenario where he initiated a fight with us, this guy was big and we both had an arm taking him down to the ground and when my arm hit it the concrete it caused my grip to come loose and our "BG" then pushed my partner against the wall as he was now on his hind end and catching himself/breaking his fall, and the "BG" went for his gun
    I immediately recognized this, verbalized, and put both my hands on the BG's hands on my partner's gun pushing it into his side adding to the retention (and keeping the "BG" from doing other things with his hands/arms), at the same time I said "he's going for your gun" my partner initiated a guillotine choke on the SWAT role player BG;
    the observer had to come in and stop the scenario as the role player's head was turning deep shades of purple and was going night-night
    they told us good job and it was all justified

when someone tries to get your gun they have escalated things to the deadly force level and at this point its whatever it takes to stop that threat...choke out, knife use (I carry a TDI that will be nasty on someone's arm trying to get my pistol), broken arms, etc.....it can be real bad
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Looked real enough to me. People react to things differently. My guess is a similar situation for Cop#2 in the future would definitely be handled quicker because of this. I think he was in a little shock or maybe disbelief. At the beginning of the incident I was thinking maybe it's an idiot cop friend.

Many years ago, a LEO had chased a person down my street (a dead end). My daughter was opening the door to get the mail when I heard a gun shot. I ran to the door, grabbed her back and told everyone to get on the floor. Looking out the door, the LEO was ducked down behind his cruiser and appeared to me to be praying. The perp had held up an elderly gentleman at an ATM, grabbed some money and jacked his car with his wife still in it. A minute later he speed pass the parked LEO who was shooting radar. He thought it was a simple speeding incident. The guy turned a couple streets, the LEO gave chase and then they hit my street. The perp jumped out of the vehicle at the dead end and fired a couple shots at the LEO. The LEO had ducked behind his cruiser when I started to witness what was going on (heard the shots, grabbed daughter and told everyone to get down.) I grabbed the phone and hit 911. They didn't know anything about it. The LEO hadn't called it in. He was in shock/fear and was still ducked behind his cruiser when officers began showing up a couple minutes after I called it in. The perp was caught a little later on a city bus. While talking with a detective that was on scene later, I noticed a tire on my truck was flat. After checking it, I noticed a hole and we cut it open. Sure enough, the bullet was inside. It had went through the tire and hit the rim and stopped. I talked at length with the detectives on scene that day (that's how what happened before I started personally witnessing it came out). We agreed that you can never tell 100% how someone is going to react in the heat of the moment no matter how much training they've had.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links