Really wish that people would stop refering to their firearms as weapons! - Page 3

Really wish that people would stop refering to their firearms as weapons!

This is a discussion on Really wish that people would stop refering to their firearms as weapons! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; But a gun does qualify as a weapon. It's just that all weapons are not guns....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    But a gun does qualify as a weapon.

It's just that all weapons are not guns.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I bounce back and forth between weapon (NRA bad-word) and sidearm. Or just say Taurus or 45 or PT145 or...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I use the term weapon, quite frequently I might add.

If that offends I don't much care. If that gets some NRA Instructor's panties in a wad, I don't much care. If that annoys, scares or intimidates some effeminate male, I don't much care.

In short, I don't much care. You can call your weapons petunias for all I care. I will call them, use them, and treat them for what they are, deadly weapons.

Biker

Try telling a DI it ain't a weapon
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Breaking news:

An armed citizen shot an assailant that broke into his house reportedly in the leg and chest with a banana.

The intruder allegedly returned fire with ripe oranges hitting the homeowner in the head.

Police investigators said if the oranges had not been so ripe, the homeowner could have suffered much more injury.

The homeowner and the assailant, are listed in fair condition. Both are expected to recover.

Police are still investigating although some evidence seems to have been eaten.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Weapon as defined on the Merrium-Webster website.

Main Entry: 1weap·on
    Pronunciation: \ˈwe-pən\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English wepen, from Old English wę̄pen; akin to Old High German wāffan weapon, Old Norse vāpn
    Date: before 12th century
    1 : something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
    2 : a means of contending against another

Sure looks to me like my Glock is a weapon! And if it's good enough for Merrium-Webster it's good enough for me!
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I use the term weapon, quite frequently I might add.

If that offends I don't much care. If that gets some NRA Instructor's panties in a wad, I don't much care. If that annoys, scares or intimidates some effeminate male, I don't much care.

In short, I don't much care. You can call your weapons petunias for all I care. I will call them, use them, and treat them for what they are, deadly weapons.

Biker
    Tell us how you really feel Biker
    For what it's worth I agree 100%
    It's only the internet, people, and if little things like a certain term bother somebody that much...
    well they need to read the disclaimer at the bottom on my posts.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Call it a roscoe or a heater
    I call mine a roscoe. :)
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

The main point that I was trying to make is that people who refer to their firearm as a weapon just emmulates the mindset that they are dangerous to everyone. A weapon is anything that a person with the ability to choose right and wrong uses as such. (whether that be for defense or not). I guess I should not have said that I correct everyone, cause I dont (not good for business) but it still steams me.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    The main point that I was trying to make is that people who refer to their firearm as a weapon just emmulates the mindset that they are dangerous to everyone. A weapon is anything that a person with the ability to choose right and wrong uses as such. (whether that be for defense or not). I guess I should not have said that I correct everyone, cause I dont (not good for business) but it still steams me.
    Again, people who refer to their gun as a weapon are speaking the English language correctly. If it feeds some sort of foolish agenda to speak the truth, then so be it. Don't get hung up on liberal foolishness.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    A firearm is dangerous. You need to lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Breaking news:

An armed citizen shot an assailant that broke into his house reportedly in the leg and chest with a banana.

The intruder allegedly returned fire with ripe oranges hitting the homeowner in the head.

Police investigators said if the oranges had not been so ripe, the homeowner could have suffered much more injury.

The homeowner and the assailant, are listed in fair condition. Both are expected to recover.

Police are still investigating although some evidence seems to have been eaten.
    You should start writing for the Onion.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i wish people would stop calling turn signals "blinkers"....

pax
    Yeah, the NRA likes to pound this drum. But IMO, it's silly and a bit insane to think that the anti-gunners are against weapons. They're not. They are against guns. It's guns that scare these people, and they're against your guns regardless of whether you think of your gun as a tool or a toy or a weapon.

I carry a gun on my hip to defend myself. That's the stated purpose of a carry gun -- self-defense. Whether I ever use it to shoot someone else or not, I am using it as a defensive weapon at the moment I put it on my hip. It's a weapon because the only reason I am carrying it is to defend myself if I need to. I'm not carrying it to play a game and I'm not carrying it to hunt. I'm carrying it to defend myself.

My home defense gun is also a weapon. That's why I have one -- to defend myself from an intruder if I need to do so. Its stated purpose is defense.

A gun you never carry and never intend to use for defense isn't a weapon. It's either a tool or a toy. If I were into gun games, the guns I used for that purpose would be toys to me, because their stated purpose would be to play a game. If I were into hunting, they'd be tools, because their stated purpose would be to accomplish a specific task. But I'm not into hunting or gun games. I'm into self-defense, and all of my defensive guns are weapons. That's why I have them.

Of course you can use a range toy or a hunting tool as a weapon if need be. But that's not the stated purpose of such guns. For those of us who carry a gun, it's always a weapon when we carry it. That's the stated purpose of the defense gun: it's a weapon. The NRA doesn't like it and neither do the antis, but it is what it is.

It seems to me that by taking up the cry of the sport shooters, we are shooting ourselves in the foot -- because by surrendering the language, we are surrendering the moral high ground. By saying that the firearms we own for defense "aren't weapons," we are agreeing that it is wrong for ordinary people to plan to defend themselves if attacked.

Of course, firearms aren't the only weapon possible. For self-defense, I always carry a weapon. Usually, the weapon I carry is a firearm. Sometimes it's something else. But I always have a weapon.

The anti-gunners and the sport-shooters have been engaged in a joint conspiracy for years, trying to convince the whole world that there is no legitimate reason for ordinary citizens like myself to own weapons. It's okay, they say, if we own toys. It's all right if we own sporting goods. It's okay if we want to compete at poking holes in paper, or if we (sometimes, under some circumstances, but reluctantly and never happily!) "harvest" game using firearms "suitable for sporting purposes."

But ordinary people, with weapons?? Shock! Horror! Those don't belong in the hands of the common man... or woman. We should not be able to use a weapon against another human being! That's evil and wrong and --

And it's bullroar.

The sole and only purpose of the firearm I carry every day is to save my life in the gravest extreme, should I need it. It has no other purpose. It is not a toy. It is not a "sporting" anything. In order to fulfill its only purpose, that of defending my life if I am attacked, it will need to be wielded -- as a weapon -- against another living, breathing human being.

As soon as I start finding euphemisms for my carry weapon, I have conceded that I -- an ordinary citizen -- have no right to be proud of my decision to be prepared to protect myself from deadly violence should I need to do so.

And that, friends, is something I refuse to do.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i wish people would stop calling turn signals "blinkers"....
    And high beams brights!
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links