Deer SWAT team: Bambi in the crosshairs

This is a discussion on Deer SWAT team: Bambi in the crosshairs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050401821.html They use real bullets?????...

Closed Account Array Steelhorse's Avatar

Administrator

Interesting Article

Thanks for posting it.

Assistant Administrator
    Been hearing a lot about this DC deer problem - and seems only way to go is some culling.

Wish tho they'd get on with addressing the crazy no guns situation for the common man - and let him have some means of protection - not as if the BG's are particularly phased by such laws!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Interesting.

A suppressed Rem.700 .300 Whisper with a limitd range of about 300 yards would be the ideal weapon.

Sounds like a good plan and surprisingly the reporter interviewed people on both sides of the issue. That was kind of refreshing to read at least.

Administrator
    Actually, I was fairly surprised to see both sides represented decently equally.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Actually, I was fairly surprised to see both sides represented decently equally.
    Still didn't make people on the wrong side any less idiotic, but both sides should be displayed.

Lead Moderator
    This program has been going on for years, and it seems the Washington Post runs an article on it about one a year. This was one of the better ones I have seen.

I wish folks would realize that shooting a bunch actually keeps the rest from starving to death. Most of the Counties don't make announcements since when they have in the past the PETA people have come out in force.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    This was the comment that got me:

But on Nightshade Court, where houses border the park, some people already do. Tom Morton, 62, a graphic designer, said he doesn't see a need to kill deer.

"I just hate to see the poor things be shot," he said. "Why can't they just load their guns with tranquilizer and take the deer somewhere where they can live happily ever after?"

Brilliant comment! "Take them somewhere where they can live happily ever after" and where might that me. The deer population everywhere is too high. That is why states have lengthened the season and now have doe seasons as well. Even if people had not taken over the natural habitat of the deer there would be an overpopulation problem. One of the reasons for that is the absence of predators. The bear and cougar are not present in numbers big enough to control the population. What has replaced them in many areas is the coyote. And the coyote is not normally going to reduce the deer population by much.

In Alabama there has been growing concern with deer starvation because of overpopulation. I live in a rural area. The population of the county I live in is about 12,000 and the area is 724 sq. mi. To give you a feel of how big an area that is, it is about 75% the size of the state of Rhode Island. There are two small towns in the county. Marion with a population of about 4000 and Uniontown with about 2200. You would think that with that much land and a large portion of it a National Forest we would not have a deer problem. In fact we do. I have seen deer tracks in my back yard and I have three dogs. You would think that the deer would not come into a yard that had dogs in it during the day. The food problem drives them to places they would not normally go. Several times in the last few years people have had deer run into their cars while driving down the main street of town. So where does Tom Morton want to ship the deer so that they can live happily ever after? Perry County Alabama would appear to the uninformed to be a great place, but after just a little research one would discover that we have the same problems. Even though we are using different solutions. We don't need any sharpshooters. Alabama just extends the deer season and opens doe season. That said, the state has used organized groups to harvest deer on state land several times in order to reduce the population more.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    In the twilight years of my Naval career I was the armoror and rangemaster at a NAS. The whitetail deer started to become a nuisense for the A/C on the runways.

After lunch at the "O" club with the base CO,my boss wanted to hear the options on taking care of the problem.

I made a couple of calls to the Warden Service and after some negative replys I reminded them that the Armory and magazine compound was "mine" and the entire base was federal property.

After they did some checking, their boss called my boss and seemed that things were starting to come together. The wardens showed up to look at the area and we proceided to the magazine area and the "special" area that the Marines had the security duty to protect.

The M60 bunkers and towers seemed to make the wardens uneasy. Especially after they were told to disarm.

We got a "permit" to kill 34(IIRC) deer of either sex and we set up a night shoot. My boss invited the Marine Capt. and he came and got his sniper/night scoped stuff from my armory and we just had a ball. We killed 23 the first night and the rest the next.

The towns people herd about what was to happen and of course some of them had to protest at the main gate. The Marines always liked that. They had no mercy on them. They would spray them down with a garden hose that majically showed up at the gate house. Themz was the good ol' daze.-------

Good article, problem has been going on for awhile now,,,up that way a couple of years ago a bow hunter group got together and and was taking deer on private property for the people,,with the deer being donated to "hunters for the hungry"

Last 2 years NewportNews and Hampton have been discussing this,, and a couple of the county type airports have the same problem..

As these's are cull shoots no need for big bores, has been fopund that a surpressed mid -bore and head shots are all thats needed.

Crying shame of it is, there is one base in the SE part of VA that just shoots them and throws them in a hole ..

VIP Member
    "Real bullets?" "happily ever after?" Sounds like people living in a fairy tale world to me. Funny and sad at the same time.

And George is right. There isn't any other place that needs more deer.

Sounds like they have a great plan for using the harvested meat. I'm all for it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have an article(I have to find it) Greenwich Ct. paid a company called White Buffalo to cull deer -if I remember correctly the price was over $1000. per deer!!!

Links