NATO vs + P ammo pressures (9mm)

This is a discussion on NATO vs + P ammo pressures (9mm) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NATO 9mm ammo, "made for law enforement" and at "military levels " ..... what I find is that it is loaded 10% more than normal ...

Thread: NATO vs + P ammo pressures (9mm)

NATO vs + P ammo pressures (9mm)

NATO 9mm ammo, "made for law enforement" and at "military levels " ..... what I find is that it is loaded 10% more than normal standard 9 mm luger.

What is +P ammo loaded to ?

My question is, are these two equivalant in terms of pressures ? Are they essentially the same ?

2. Remove Ads

9mm NATO vs. 9mm Luger Gun Nuts Media

"Now that’s a fun topic right there – as in, what’s the difference between ammo that’s loaded to 9mm NATO pressures and ammo that’s loaded to 9mm Luger pressures? First off, you have to establish that there is a difference, because there are people out there who will fight and argue that NATO spec ammo is exactly the same as commercial 9mm Luger. It’s not, trust me. Aside from the obvious difference in bullet weight (9mm NATO is 124 grain, most commercial plinking 9mm ammo is 115 grain) rounds that are loaded to NATO spec are loaded to a higher pressure than rounds loaded to industry standard.

The ammo industry uses something called SAAMI Standards to establish the pressures that ammo should be loaded to. The SAAMI pressure for 9mm Luger ammo is around 35,000 PSI, and C.I.P (think European SAAMI) rates 9mm Luger ammo at 34,080 PSI. According to documentation, the 9mm NATO rounds are pressured at 36,500 PSI (again according to CIP). That means that when compared to standard 9mm ammo, the 9mm NATO ammo is running a higher pressure, analogous to a 9mm +P load, which SAAMI rates around 36,000 PSI.

So what does this mean for you? Well, a lot of people recommend treating 9mm NATO rounds the same way you’d treat a 9mm Luger +P, which is to say understand that it’s loaded to a higher pressure than your garden variety 9mm Luger ammo. For the casual shooter, this means a couple of things: don’t put 9mm NATO ammo in older guns. Only use it in modern, robust guns in good condition."
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

This might be a strange question, but will a weapon chambered for 9mm NATO cycle properly with a 9mm luger round? Is there enough pressure to work the bolt properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    NATO 9mm ammo, "made for law enforement" and at "military levels " ..... what I find is that it is loaded 10% more than normal standard 9 mm luger.

What is +P ammo loaded to ?

My question is, are these two equivalant in terms of pressures ? Are they essentially the same ?
    What is +P ammo loaded to? Depends on the caliber. Check SAMMI for listing.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I use Nato 124gn FMJ to practice with & a few Speer 124gn +p JHP and both shoot same POI in my EDC ;-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

This is 9 mm - 124 gr FMJ NATO ammo, made by Winchester. It was an overrun on some ammo for Law Enforcement.

Winchester notes this NATO ammo is loaded on the 'average' 10% higher than std 9 mm ammo.

What I can find on 9mm is :
    std 9 mm is 35,000 psi
    + 9 , is 36,500 psi
    NATO ... can be between 38,000 to 42,000 psi. If this is truly 10% , that would put it about 38,500 psi.

Now, I have to find if the guns can handle it.

VIP Member
    My P228 has about 10,000 rounds of 9mm NATO ammo through it... Can we put it in the "can handle it" column? :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I read somewhere that CIP and SAAMI use a slightly different measureing system. I havn't found a conversion though. I've been trying to figure out if my 24/7 PRO will handel some 115gr +P+ ammo that I picked up at a gun show. Does anyone know about that?
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Links