I got published... - Page 2

I got published...

This is a discussion on I got published... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Very cool. Nice job!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Very cool. Nice job!

Good article

Congrats on a great article...I was just looking throught the magazine...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well done. Congratulations.
    God, country, family.

Congrats!

Reminds me I would like to renew my subscription.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Congrats! I guess I'm going to have to join/subscribe now!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

VIP Member
    I did not get mine yet. Looking forward to it.

Well I haven't received my copy of the magazine yet, but then again I have only received 2 copies in 5 month's.

Im not complaining about USCCA, they even sent me a 2nd members pack after the 1st failed to get here, I wonder if my mail man is reading my stuff?
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Good deal! Congratulations!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I just saw the article. Good job and congratulations. You're famous now.
    Wisdom of the Older Gunner:
    To carry a firearm and not have to use it is a blessing
    To not carry a firearm and need one is avoidable and sometimes fatal stupidity

Congtrats on getting published!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    At long last, they finally put the article online.

First Aid to Survive a Lethal Force Assault

First Aid to Survive a Lethal Force Assault
    Alan W. Rose

You and your family are on your way home from dinner when you realize that you need gas, so you pull in to the next station. It is well lit and clean. As you are entering your PIN at the pump, you realize that a group of three youths in gang colors are closing on you fast from the fence on the other side of the pump. The leader makes eye contact and says, "Hey, got a smoke?" then pulls a silver semi-automatic pistol out of his pocket. The two accomplices move laterally around the pump to flank you on both sides. You are trapped. You draw and fire on the lead man just as his accomplices rush onto you, pumping their arms into your sides. You see muzzle flashes but hear nothing. The lead man falls down motionless, pistol cast off to the side, and his cohorts run away. You hear screams coming from inside your car. Your shirt feels wet. The world is spinning, and the bright lights of the gas station canopy seem to be on some kind of erratic dimmer switch. You imagine hearing Jimi Hendrix's guitar screaming psychedelic melodies in your head.

This is a nightmare scenario. You are injured, probably severely. The wetness you feel is blood. You weren't being punched; they had knives. One or more family members in your car may be shot, and so may you. You have several minutes before the police arrive and give EMS permission to enter the crime scene. You are in charge of your own emergency.

There are no guarantees that you will emerge uninjured from a lethal force encounter. Endless pages have been written about mindset and tactics that will give you an edge before and during the fight. Now we will face the aftermath. You are about to learn what to do in the moments after you or another have been seriously injured, basic first steps you will need to take to improve your odds of survival. These techniques are primarily for the benefit of you and other victims. I will not debate whether you should treat your adversaries. That can rage on elsewhere. Neither will I attempt to integrate self medical care with tactical issues. Big kid rules are in effect here. In a dynamic environment you have to decide for yourself when it is appropriate to treat wounds.

So, where do you begin? Having a plan is essential. First, you must develop a sense of survival. People who believe they will survive have a much better chance of doing so. Those who believe they will die if shot or stabbed will not fare as well. Case in point: A woman heard a negligently fired shotgun blast behind her and passed out; then she stopped breathing. Her pulse rate began to slow. She was dying. The medics could not find any wounds, and neither could the emergency room staff. Finally the doctor began yelling in her ear that she was not injured and would not die. Within a few minutes she awoke, and was discharged home in perfect health. Mental conditioning is paramount, just as it is in deciding to take a life, and to win the fight.

First aid equipment is like having a gun. It's not important until you need it, but it is very important when you don't have it. No one has spare room in their pants to carry bulky trauma supplies, so what you have will be minimal, and possibly stowed in your car, office or home.

Must-have supplies include: Gauze dressings, menstrual pads, elastic rolled bandage, masking tape, tampons, aspirin, wide trouser belt, and a small package of moist towels or baby wipes. Even better, have trauma dressings, CAT one-hand use tourniquet, blood clotting agent such as QuikClot or Celox, and health care hand sanitizing towelettes. All these items can be kept in a reclosable plastic zipper bag.

For generations, medics have been taught their ABCs to keep people alive: Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Expose.

A pathway for air to move in and out of the lungs is your first priority. Make sure the head and neck don't end up in a position that will make it difficult to breathe if you pass out and or vomit (see D below). Any foreign objects in the mouth must be removed to prevent them falling or being sucked into the throat. A finger sweep should be sufficient.

Breathing is a subconscious activity until it is compromised. If you must work to breathe, you are in trouble. A penetrating chest wound can cause a pneumothorax, otherwise known as a sucking chest wound. The affected lung will collapse if you don't fix this. Cover the wound first with the bare hand, and then as soon as possible with the empty zipper bag or other plastic film such as a cigarette pack wrapper. Tape it in place on three sides, leaving one side as a vent. If the breathing worsens, it means the lung may be punctured and the chest is filling with air, blood or both. The other lung is being compressed. Lift the dressing's vent to release pressure. If there is difficulty breathing from a blunt force without penetration, look at the chest. If you see a portion of the chest wall moving opposite the surrounding area, this is a flail chest. Place your hand over the flail segment using gentle pressure, or tape a bulky item such as a wallet or towel over it.

Circulation means that blood goes around, not out. External bleeding may be hidden by hair and clothing. Internal bleeding will exhibit swelling and light bruising. Penetrating wounds may not bleed much externally. Many organs and blood vessels will bleed heavily, quickly leading to loss of life if not addressed immediately. Facial lacerations will bleed briskly and may compromise the ability to see or breathe. Conversely, bleeding below the elbow and knee do not usually require rigorous management. Often, assault victims do not know that they have been shot or stabbed, or how many extra holes are in their body until a careful search has been made by the EMS or ED staff.

Disability: If you become lightheaded or cannot stand, lie on your side with your head resting on your arm.

Expose the body by loosening clothing, and then run your hands around the body, frequently looking for blood on your fingers.

Follow this step by step process until bleeding stops: Immediately apply direct pressure with your bare hand. Apply clotting agent if available. Apply gauze pad or trauma dressings. Hold pressure. Pack additional dressings over the wound, and tightly wind elastic bandage around the wound. For an extremity injury, apply the tourniquet or tighten the belt above the wound.

Insert a tampon into chest (not for pneumothorax) and abdomen wounds. If possible, lie down and try to remain calm. More blood to the brain, less to the street.

An ongoing reassessment is crucial because things can change unexpectedly. Recheck everything, including injuries, treatment, and the search for hidden injuries.

There are special considerations to keep in mind: Being in a lethal force fight is stressful enough without being wounded. Adrenaline will be coursing through your blood vessels and playing havoc with many of your body's functions. You may experience dizziness, jitters and muscle tremors, and you may become nauseous or vomit. Adrenaline is also a potent cardiac drug called epinephrine.

If, in the ensuing minutes you begin to experience chest pain or pressure; difficulty breathing; weakness; arm or back pain; noticeable or unusual heart beat; or cool, clammy skin, you may be having a heart attack. You need to be in a cardiac catheterization lab equipped hospital right now. Since that is not possible, make sure 911 is activated immediately for all patients. You may be overlooked by a single EMS crew that is focused on treating a gunshot wound in another patient. If you are not bleeding internally, chew and swallow at least four baby aspirin or at least one uncoated adult aspirin. Swallowing whole coated (enteric) aspirin is not recommended because it will not work as quickly to dissolve any clots that may be restricting blood flow to the heart muscle. This will buy you some time until a doctor can screen you for in-patient anticoagulant therapy.

Stress will spike your blood pressure. One-sided weakness, difficulty walking, speech and visual disturbances, unequal pupils, and headache are stroke symptoms that you must not ignore. Aspirin use is controversial in undiagnosed stroke patients. Depending on the cause or the stroke (clot versus hemorrhage), it may either help or hurt.

Slashing wounds can cause grisly injuries. If intestines are exposed, they must be kept wet at all costs. Dry intestines are dead intestines. Bullets can pass completely through the body and into other parts. In one case, the victim was so concerned about his arm wound that he was unaware the bullet had passed into his chest. One gunshot does not necessarily mean one wound. Bullets can also travel bizarre paths in the body. Suspect internal injury anywhere.

Assaults with knives, blunt objects such as baseball bats, and improvised weapons like beer bottles or a screwdriver can cause injuries as significant as any firearm. A single strike to the head, chest, or abdomen can be deadly. Any open wound or significant blunt trauma, especially a human bite, should be evaluated in the emergency department. Serious conditions may develop over the next several days. Complications may include a slowly developing brain bleed, infection, blood trapping in the muscle, and clot formation and migration in critical organs.

The steps you take in the moments after a significant injury can save your life or the life of a loved one. They can also minimize the extent of the damage done, giving you a quicker recovery time. Don't let a serious injury become fatal. Be your own lifesaving hero.

Disclaimer: This article does not constitute medical advice or formal training. It is presented as informational only. You should discuss all lifesaving techniques with your own physician, taking into account your personal state of health, prior to implementation.

Alan Rose is a Paramedic employed by Medical Transport, LLC and is assigned to Southampton County, Virginia's EMS system. He has more than 25 years experience in ambulance operations, with a background in EMS instruction, corrections and private security. Alan can be contacted at: paramedic70002@yahoo.com.

CONTACTS:

QuikClot
    QuikClot® adsorbent hemostatic agent speeds coagulation & rapidly stops blood loss .: Z-Medica Corporation
    (203) 294-0000

Celox
    Celox Home Page
    (011) 44 (0)1270 500019
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I can just see it now...double mag carrier, one half populated with a tampon...with the string blowing in the breeze.

Nice article.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Congrats!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links