The Mountain Gunz ??

This is a discussion on The Mountain Gunz ?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Am considering one of the S&W Mountain Guns. (SS only)Cals.....45LC or .44mag. This, for general carry while ATV'in or scouting for hogs in the river ...

Thread: The Mountain Gunz ??

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar

The Mountain Gunz ??

Am considering one of the S&W Mountain Guns. (SS only)Cals.....45LC or .44mag. This, for general carry while ATV'in or scouting for hogs in the river swamps or at the club.(open carry)

???'s >> Will they handle the heavier loads? How 'bout hardcast? Howz the trigger? Are the factory grips adaquate? Holsters avaliable? Accuracy? Do you feel that the sights are adequate? Thank's for your reply. ---------

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    They should be as durable and reliable with similiar trigger pulls, equally good sights, etc. as the "regular" S&W revolvers. I think the main different between the Mountain Guns (MG) and the rest of the line are the MG's thinner-walled barrels and lack of a full lug; all done to reduce weight for easier carriage.

Recoil should be a tad heavier with these guns due to a reduction in weight, so whether the grips are enough to assist you with recoil control would be a subjective thing.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

They should be pretty decent gun .. if you want a magnum go 44 don't try to over rev the smith in 45 colt the cylinder isn't as beefy as a Ruger.

Holsters should be easy and i usually don't like any factory grips so your on your own there

My wife has a 44 Mag mountain gun. It is slightly lighter than my 3" regular N-frame 44 Mag, which has the standard barrel and no lug. The only difference I can see is the barrel, the mountain gun has the old-style really tapered 44 special barrel (or looks that way to me).
    Hers has the stock Hogue grips and mine has Spiegel boot grips in walnut (Dillon actually had some in stock a few years ago).
    Anyway...... they shoot just about the same. Hers is maybe easier to carry since the barrel is longer so there's more for the holster to actually hold, she can carry it in some mass-market holsters. Mine is in a Milt Sparks with the tension welt but can't ride in a mass-market holster, it just wants to fall out.
    They both have sharp recoil with full-house loads. We generally use a milder load around the house, about equivalent to a hot 44 special. With that type of load, I've carried mine for CCW, it's pretty controllable. Full magnum and the gun rises up quite a bit. They are both loud (as can be expected).
    My number one comment is an odd one, but.... any of these short 44s are flamethrowers with 44 mag loads. Almost blinding.
    I would have no hesitation buying another mountain gun. I like it a lot.

Assistant Administrator
    I like mine tho full house loads are not too comfortable to shoot too many! I added CT's to mine but actually they are a bit solid for comfort and Pach's or Hogues would be better.

Still - a nice revo and one I would carry if needed. Probably at its best with 44 spl loads.

Hardcast no probs IMO - sights very adequate. Plenty accurate enough for me.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I had one of those 629 Lew Horton specials at one time. You know... the one with a 3" barrel and custom wood finger grips...
    It was a blast to shoot.... and then some...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz
    I had one of those 629 Lew Horton specials at one time. You know... the one with a 3" barrel and custom wood finger grips...
    It was a blast to shoot.... and then some...

You mean something like this

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Bud, you brought up a good point(post #3)in the streignth of the cyl. Also if I go with the Ruger I can get the combo pkg.and the LC will come with an extra cyl. to shoot .45ACP.

That would be great for practice(I got a gazillion rds.) and killin' all the smaller critters that I come accross in my daily travels.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and info. --------

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    You mean something like this

exactly...except it had to have been 2.5 " on the barrel, or maybe even a two incher( your pic tells me this) in the early '90's, and then, it had adjustable sights and no stupid trigger lock...
    I couldn't hit the side of a barn with full power loads, but again... it was a blast to shoot.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I used to have one of the 44 mag Mountain Gun's. I liked it okay, but as has been mentioned it's one heck of a magnum muzzle blast. I also didn't much like the grips on mine. Don't they make this gun in the 45LC? That'd be a neat combo for the woods.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Bud, you brought up a good point(post #3)in the streignth of the cyl. Also if I go with the Ruger I can get the combo pkg.and the LC will come with an extra cyl. to shoot .45ACP.

That would be great for practice(I got a gazillion rds.) and killin' all the smaller critters that I come accross in my daily travels.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and info. --------

If they still make a blackhawk like that its been hit or miss on that past few years

Ya could go with a xframe 460 and shoot 454 and 45 colt ...lol

I like the 45 colt and if i wanted to load it to what it should be not magnum per say but loaded out of the stone age i would be leery of using a smith

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by artz
    exactly...except it had to have been 2.5 " on the barrel, or maybe even a two incher( your pic tells me this) in the early '90's, and then, it had adjustable sights and no stupid trigger lock...
    I couldn't hit the side of a barn with full power loads, but again... it was a blast to shoot.

Got one of them coming in fact its at the gun pushers now its my new walking the dog gun

I think some black hills 44sp round will be the ticket with it

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I have but one MG, a .45 Colt and it has proven to be a very handy revolver at the deer camp. Mine's not loaded all that hot at all, usually a 250 to 260 grain CSWC at about 900 ft/sec. It's been easy to control and I've cleanly taken one nice table doe with it.

I'll be trying out some of the new Corbon 225-gr. DPX in the near future.

Best.

Boy Stephen i like the look of that DPX ammo in 45 colt nice big open hole

1951 - 2011
    Hello. Yes, I noticed that too. I'm hoping that the listed 1200 ft/sec isn't just a tad too much recoil for the purpose this round is intended for.

We'll see.

Best.

Links