Granddaughters' Self Defense "attitude" ....

This is a discussion on Granddaughters' Self Defense "attitude" .... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My 13 yr old granddaughter has been pushing me alot more to move to shooting semi-autos (10/22) and a semi-auto pistol. I asked why, just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granddaughters' Self Defense "attitude" ....

Granddaughters' Self Defense "attitude" ....

My 13 yr old granddaughter has been pushing me alot more to move to shooting semi-autos (10/22) and a semi-auto pistol. I asked why, just to see what she said. Her answer, well.... if someone came into the house and were going to attack me, I want to be able to shoot more than once if I need to in order to stop them.

Did I ever say, I love that girl .... she does not have a victim mentality.

Before she ever shot, an example of her mentality ; A 5th grade boy, known by all to be the top bully of the school, picked on one her friends when she was in 2nd grade. She is a petite girl and he was 2 1/2 times her size.

I got stopped by the teacher when I picked her up from school that day , saying "we need to talk". Then the teacher proceeds to tell me (while laughing) that "we are just not sure what to do " . ..... then goes on to tell me that my granddaughter was so ticked by this guy pushing her friend around and bullying her, that she went over and gave him a talking to, threatened to beat his tail-end, and the 5th grade bully was so scared , he went to the teachers and wanted protection. The teacher said, this boy is totally afraid of her now.

The teacher could not quit laughing. You have to understand the "size difference" between these two. They decided to punish the bully for the bullying, and to warn my granddaughter to not pick on him anymore.

My real point, they learn NOT to be a victim at an early age, dont' wait to teach them. Secondly, self-defense rarely has anything to do with size, and everything to do with attitude.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Good for her!

And good for you too!

Looks like you brought yours up to bring their up right!

Love that story. Good for granddaughter. Good for the teachers.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

sgb
    Your Granddaughter is rare kid, good on you, mom and dad.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

RMS
    Great story!! Thanks for sharing.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds like the school's staff have good heads on their shoulders. Had that been here your granddaughter probably would have been suspended and the bully would have been given in-school detention.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Your granddaughter is awesome! Clearly, she has parents who are raising her right...obviously because THEIR parents did the same! WTG on your entire family!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Good for her!

Congratulations...that is great to hear. You definitely have a winner there sir!
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    "My real point, they learn NOT to be a victim at an early age, dont' wait to teach them. Secondly, self-defense rarely has anything to do with size, and everything to do with attitude"

isn't that the truth....!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I would love to have been a fly on the wall when she braced the bully. Good for her and good for you as a role model.
    Wisdom of the Older Gunner:
    To carry a firearm and not have to use it is a blessing
    To not carry a firearm and need one is avoidable and sometimes fatal stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    ... pushing me to move to shooting semi-autos (10/22) and a semi-auto pistol. I asked why ...

well.... if someone came into the house and were going to attack me, I want to be able to shoot more than once if I need to in order to stop them.
    It's that simple. Good to see, in a kid. She's obviously using that big lump on her shoulders. Kudos!

Attitude and mindset. Obviously her experience with the schoolyard bully showed how powerful it can be. It often won't be sufficient, but it is a critical element.

Had a similar experience myself, in 6th grade and then again in 7th. Wouldn't stand for a friend being pounded, so I compelled the attacker to go elsewhere. And in the 7th grade I wouldn't stand for a friend to attack me, so I turned his aggressions back on him and showed him what the meaning of defending against attack really meant. In neither case did either bully come anywhere near me or anyone else the remainder of those years.

My real point, they learn NOT to be a victim at an early age, dont' wait to teach them.
    Most DO indeed learn from their environment, and learn it too well. Just listen to the humming of the message all around us, spread daily by the media and "entertainment" messages in the culture. Everyone and everything around promotes one basic message: to be a victim, think like a victim, to NOT lift a finger if threatened since this will only aggravate the situation, and to not even think of defending since fighting is baaaaaad.

Reality is, failure to defend gets you hurt in the short run, and it simply spurns the attacker to worse things later. It most certainly does not help the victim not be one.

Which begs the simple question: what's the goal, here? Is it to avoid being a victim, or not? If so, then there really are precious few steps to take. But they must be taken, else you're not going to have much chance.

Secondly, self-defense rarely has anything to do with size, and everything to do with attitude.
    Yup.

Mindset can play a large part in one's ability to withstand attack and turn it on the attacker.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Good for her!

And good for you too!

Looks like you brought yours up to bring their up right!

What he said^^^^^^^

In this day and age this is all you can hope for.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Good deal! Learning to shoot should be a rite of passage for all people.

Your Granddaughter has a great attitude and you should be very proud of her.

Now, get her shooting semi autos and train her up!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links