Dropped loaded G30 Today!

This is a discussion on Dropped loaded G30 Today! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This morning I was getting ready to leave somewhat in a hurry. I placed the G30 in the Smartcarry holster which was sitting on my ...

This morning I was getting ready to leave somewhat in a hurry. I placed the G30 in the Smartcarry holster which was sitting on my 5 ft. tall dresser as a standby to get all my tactical gear ready to go. The holster was on top of the dresser angled slightly business end up on some clothes when I put the pistol in it. Needless to say it slid out of course when I walked away falling about 5 ft. hitting the tile floor. No AD/ND today! (As if you were wondering!) The sound of this beast hitting the floor was so loud that my wife ran over asking if I was okay. I had no choice but to tell her the real reason why I was picking up pieces of broken tile. An AD never even crossed my mine. I first thought, "geeze brand new glock with scuffs, dents, missing coating!" This pistol is a freaking Tank! I can't believe it didn't leave a mark or even a slight trace that it fell. I am very impressed with Glocks! That Smartcarry material is slicker than it looks! I learned my lesson. Holster goes on first then pistol after! -------------------Anyone suggest a G30 holster that compensates for the gun's thickness? OWB or Shoulder type that you won't have to conceal with a trench coat in this sub-tropical climate? Thanks for any advise.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

I am glad the saftey features that have been included in your pistol successfully worked.

Good for not trying to catch it falling - We had a thread maybe a month ago reminding us not to try to catch a falling gun. There was an incident where a shooter at the range caught a falling pistol, pulled the trigger, and shot himself. I can't seem to find it at the moment.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the world of Glock.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have had a lot of different Fist IWB holsters, but during my recent adventures with OWB I have found this to be very tight to the body.
    FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the form from a fellow Glock owner!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Welcome to the group from a fellow Glock owner!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    I believe I've experienced that feeling with a G27.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-done-me.html

Glock, Sig, Colt, Jennings, High Point or whatever, they all have something in common and that is they are man-made mechanical devices. As well-designed that most are, in my mind, there are no 100% guarantees on a mechanical safety device.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Welcome to the forum. Gotta love those Glocks. I once watched a range instructor load the chamber on a Glock 19, grab the barrel and drive a nail into the wall with the slide. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! But, I was impressed. I have been in love with them ever since.

Glad the build in safety design worked! Glocks are tough
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Go to the Forum Mega Holster Links page. Look at UBG, HBE, FIST, Desbiens, Milt Sparks, Pure Kustom, Etc. Thatll get you started and all are excellent leathe rmakers, that will get you a very concealable holster
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

welcome (i'm new too lol)

glad to hear no discharge from the drop! thank goodness for glock's effective safety...

Welcome.

I carry my G30 in a high quality IWB holster at 3:30 - 4:00 o'clock.
    Loaded Glocks have been dropped off of five story buildings with no AD's.
    Glocks are ran through some of the most rigged testing in the world to make sure the safety features work.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

I've never dropped one (know on wood), but from what I have read the modern guns you are far better off letting them fall and never try to catch one. Most ADs from dropping guns apparently results from folks trying to catch them.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by solana View Post
    This morning I was getting ready to leave somewhat in a hurry. I placed the G30 in the Smartcarry holster which was sitting on my 5 ft. tall dresser as a standby to get all my tactical gear ready to go. The holster was on top of the dresser angled slightly business end up on some clothes when I put the pistol in it. Needless to say it slid out of course when I walked away falling about 5 ft. hitting the tile floor. No AD/ND today! (As if you were wondering!) The sound of this beast hitting the floor was so loud that my wife ran over asking if I was okay. I had no choice but to tell her the real reason why I was picking up pieces of broken tile. An AD never even crossed my mine. I first thought, "geeze brand new glock with scuffs, dents, missing coating!" This pistol is a freaking Tank! I can't believe it didn't leave a mark or even a slight trace that it fell. I am very impressed with Glocks! That Smartcarry material is slicker than it looks! I learned my lesson. Holster goes on first then pistol after! -------------------Anyone suggest a G30 holster that compensates for the gun's thickness? OWB or Shoulder type that you won't have to conceal with a trench coat in this sub-tropical climate? Thanks for any advise.
    Well, lesson learned I'm sure. Surprised a falling Glock broke the tiles without blowing your head off? Priceless. If I don't seem too excited, that's because I'm not. Glocks take a trigger pull to discharge plain and simple. On a side note, you can probably fix the marring on your Glock and make it disappear like it never happened.
    This pistol is a freaking Tank!
    They all are....they were made that way.
    All in all, I'm glad you shared this ordeal on the forum. Come to think of it, your tile repair will most likely cost as much as a new Glock when all is said and done. Feel good about it, and at least your wife still has a husband! Glock on!

Links