Circle Completed

This is a discussion on Circle Completed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BTW, can you think of a reason why a V gun would have British proof marks applied in 1957? Another mystery. Actually, that's the least ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circle Completed

OD*
    BTW, can you think of a reason why a V gun would have British proof marks applied in 1957? Another mystery.
    Actually, that's the least of the mystery, re-imported lend-lease weapons were required to be so marked.

Prior to 1955 they also were required to carry the "NOT BRITISH MAKE" inscription. The Birmingham Proof and nitro proof marks were combined into a single Birmingham Nitro Proof, (BNP) in accordance with the Proof Act of 1955. Your idea of a 4th gun sounds the most likely.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Actually, that's the least of the mystery, re-imported lend-lease weapons were required to be so marked.

Prior to 1955 they also were required to carry the "NOT BRITISH MAKE" inscription. The Birmingham Proof and nitro proof marks were combined into a single Birmingham Nitro Proof, (BNP) in accordance with the Proof Act of 1955. Your idea of a 4th gun sounds the most likely.
    Thanks for the info. I expect that is what happened and only my uncle and his brother ever knew about the replacement. My cousin was born in 1951 so he probably would have been too young to have picked up on it and my aunt would not have heard about it if they did not make a point of telling her. It also makes sense that they would have looked around for another gun like the two they already had.

Of course the source of that gun is not really important. The important part to me is that it is the .38 that my father used and it is now united with the .22mag derringer that he also used to thwart the robbery attempt.

By the way, there has not been an armed robbery attempt on that business since that day in July 1975 when my father stopped that one. The robbery in July 1974 was the first one our business experienced. One of those two surrendered and turned states evidence. He received 5 years. The other was sentenced to 6 20 year terms to run consecutively. The two who tried in '75 were killed. Evidently the word got around about that business not being one to rob. There have been attempts at other small businesses more than 5 miles away, but none any closer in nearly 31 years. Capital punishment properly applied is a deterrent.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

OD*
    Amen sir!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links