charter arms action

charter arms action

This is a discussion on charter arms action within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im new to this forum, Im toying with purchasing an offduty 5 shot 38 double action only charter arms. Anyone own one? And also Im ...

charter arms action

Im new to this forum,
    Im toying with purchasing an offduty 5 shot 38 double action only charter arms.
    Anyone own one?
    And also Im wondering how difficult it would be to disassemble to slick up the action?
    I dont have my ccw yet, but thinking of applying.
    I own a ruger sr9 but its a little large for carry (IMO)
    Any help is appreciated

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    My friend has one and it a recent model. Probably less than two years old. Works great. Not as nice a fit & finish as a S&W but certainly functional and reliable. I don't have any advice about the internals as I have never seen one taken apart.

thanks , I was going to go with the LCR but theres 100 dollar difference and Im not sure its worth it.

I wouldn't discount the $100 difference. Now, I've never shot the LCR, but I've heard that it's the sweetest double action out there, shoots controlled pairs as well as any semi-auto. Also, never discount the investment aspect of gun buying. If you do buy the LCR, you will get your money back. If you buy the Charter, you're likely to lose money, if you don't like it and want to sell it. YMMV OMO.

PS, don't the Charter guns have exposed hammers vs. the LCR? That may or may not be an issue with you, depending on your carry method. I would think that a hammerless revolver might be better for pocket carry?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

If you want to smooth up the action first clean the gun and lube it. Next, dry fire and keep dry firing and lube. I have Three Taurus Snubs, One SP101, and Two Smith Snubs this has worked on. I dry fire at least 2000 times be for I ever go to the Range.

If you want a work of art, go with a Smith or something like that. If you want a good utilitarian, nothing fancy, not have to worry about beating it around gun, go with the Charter Arms.

I carry the Charter Arms offduity 90% of the time in a cross draw position. It is small and doesn't get in the way. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a little more fire power like my Sotager Cougar but it is certainly better then nothing.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

VIP Member
    Nothing against the LCR, but first year production guns often have bugs that have to be worked out... for the price difference, I would look at the Smiths or SP101... The Charter snubbie won't hold it's value, so the $100 difference quickly becomes much greater, once it's yours...OMO... The only Charter I'd be interested in would be the .44 special...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Links