Trijicon offers to stop putting biblical references on military scopes - Page 4

Trijicon offers to stop putting biblical references on military scopes

This is a discussion on Trijicon offers to stop putting biblical references on military scopes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I once recall a story that British troops in the 1800's greased their bullets with pig fat. This was supposedly prevented a Moslem from going ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Better way of ******* the "great unwashed" off.

I once recall a story that British troops in the 1800's greased their bullets with pig fat. This was supposedly prevented a Moslem from going to that plce with the 77 virgins (Paradise?}.

Maybe we should do that and really anger them

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Silly, did I mention I'm a Jew? Just silly.
    Nah, there ain't no rebbis south of New Jersey.

Bruce in New York and good Shabbos.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

What Yankee says Ain't

Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    Nah, there ain't no rebbis south of New Jersey.

Bruce in New York and good Shabbos.

and what Yankee says Ain't? Shalom!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    How about the people that object to these model numbers being based on biblical passages don't get paid in US currency, seeing how "In God We Trust" is printed right there on it?

Yeah, didn't think they would go for that.

So the fact that an obscure reference to a bible verse (I'll bet most religious people couldn't tell you what those particular bible references were) is part of a model number on a weapon used for killing is somehow an intolerable act of prostelyzing? Seems to me it should be argued that it is defaming the Christian religion by putting it on a weapon.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    What I want to know is how a sight company writing references on their products about bringing light to the world is offensive? It sounds like clever marketing to me.

If it referenced some of the many scriptures where God directed the Jewish people to destroy certain cities or groups of people etc... then I might be more understanding how that could be offensive. The way I see it, this is just a shorthand way to reference a marketing slogan using commonly accepted litterature, and not in any way a "breach of contract" or whatever else people are getting all upset about.

Now the customer asked that that marketing be removed (stupid and pointless, but whatever, the sqweeky wheel gets oiled) so they are complying with the wish of the customer. Doesn't our government and military have more important things to worry about than a serial number on a sight?
    Walk softly ...

Senior Moderator
    Doesn't our government and military have more important things to worry about than a serial number on a sight?
    Apparently not.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Like I stated earlier, its much ado about nothing.

Unless of course, one has nothing better to do.
    Exactly! It was their business practice for decades. Their biggest customer requested a change and they complied. Not much of a story.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Exactly! It was their business practice for decades. Their biggest customer requested a change and they complied. Not much of a story.
    The "story" isn't about whether Trijicon complied or not. It isn't about whether the gov requested that Trijicon change their serial #'s.

It's about the back-story whereby people feel it's acceptable and proper to make racial and religious remarks and at the same time force/require our own military to carry weapons touting those religious sayings even if they disagree with them.

I thought that "free exercise of religion" means that YOU aren't allowed to FORCE me to abide by your preferred religion. Even in the military I get a choice of Chaplan & which denomination and faith I prefer and which I want for my last rites. The inscriptions take away that choice.

I just don't get why some people feel that they have to shove their religious preferences into my face. And, if those folks mark the equipment that I'm required to carry, I can't even "turn the other cheek." Nor can I "ignore it." I'm stuck carrying something I may not agree with and/or which offends me through my preferred faith.

It isn't the "religion" that is objectionable. It's the fact that I didn't get to CHOOSE. Which means that my constitutional freedom to choose and worship my preferred religion was stolen from me.

THAT is the real "story" here. And what is sad is that some here think it's perfectly OK.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    The "story" isn't about whether Trijicon complied or not. It isn't about whether the gov requested that Trijicon change their serial #'s.

It's about the back-story whereby people feel it's acceptable and proper to make racial and religious remarks and at the same time force/require our own military to carry weapons touting those religious sayings even if they disagree with them.
    Racial and religious remarks? Touting religious sayings? It's a few numbers and letters that can be used to reference certain biblical quotes if you choose to do so. If you don't, they are just numbers and letters.

I thought that "free exercise of religion" means that YOU aren't allowed to FORCE me to abide by your preferred religion. Even in the military I get a choice of Chaplan & which denomination and faith I prefer and which I want for my last rites. The inscriptions take away that choice.
    The inscriptions take away nothing. You still have your choice of chaplan, denomination and faith. You aren't being forced into anything except carrying a scope that has a bunch of numbers and letters on it. It only has meaning if you choose it to.

I just don't get why some people feel that they have to shove their religious preferences into my face. And, if those folks mark the equipment that I'm required to carry, I can't even "turn the other cheek." Nor can I "ignore it." I'm stuck carrying something I may not agree with and/or which offends me through my preferred faith.

It isn't the "religion" that is objectionable. It's the fact that I didn't get to CHOOSE. Which means that my constitutional freedom to choose and worship my preferred religion was stolen from me.

THAT is the real "story" here. And what is sad is that some here think it's perfectly OK.
    Nobody is shoving anything in your face. They didn't mark the scopes with the quotes, just numbers and letters that can be used to reference them if you wish. If you don't, just ignore them.

A decade or two ago, nobody would care one way or another. Today, people are so easily offended by the minutest things. It's taking a risk of offending someone to wish a Merry Christmas or say God bless you when they sneeze.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you don't like it, scratch it off plain and simple.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Racial and religious remarks? Touting religious sayings? It's a few numbers and letters that can be used to reference certain biblical quotes if you choose to do so. If you don't, they are just numbers and letters.

The inscriptions take away nothing. You still have your choice of chaplan, denomination and faith. You aren't being forced into anything except carrying a scope that has a bunch of numbers and letters on it. It only has meaning if you choose it to.

Nobody is shoving anything in your face. They didn't mark the scopes with the quotes, just numbers and letters that can be used to reference them if you wish. If you don't, just ignore them.

A decade or two ago, nobody would care one way or another. Today, people are so easily offended by the minutest things. It's taking a risk of offending someone to wish a Merry Christmas or say God bless you when they sneeze.
    You don't get it. It's not I who chose to give meaning to those "numbers and letters." It was someone else and then they tried to conceal it by omission. Just like if I dressed up your bible in a Koran book cover and gave it to a Muslim. "It's just letters on paper unless you want to give it some meaning" could be used to cover the same scenario.

Again, it's not the religion. And, it's not the serial numbers. It's what they mean and what YOU intended them to mean regardless of what I choose for them to mean. It's the fact that you are FORCING ME to obey your ideals. And, it's the fact that you can't see or admit that it's WRONG for you to steal my rights. Or that you can't see that it's wrong for you to proselytize your beliefs upon me behind my back and then try to tell me that I'm the one who is at fault for it.

You have NO RIGHT to secretly conceal religious stuff and then blame those who object to being required to display or "speak" it.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    If you don't like it, scratch it off plain and simple.
    Umm, NOT! You MAY NOT "alter" or "deface" military property.

This sums it up pretty well. The majority has to conform to the minority so nobody is offended, problem is that now the MAJORITY is offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    You don't get it. It's not I who chose to give meaning to those "numbers and letters." It was someone else and then they tried to conceal it by omission. Just like if I dressed up your bible in a Koran book cover and gave it to a Muslim. "It's just letters on paper unless you want to give it some meaning" could be used to cover the same scenario.
    You are personally offended by Trijicon's actions because they inscribed letters and numbers on their products that could be used to reference biblical quotes if one so chooses. It bothers you that they didn't ask you or anyone else and you presume they were hiding the fact for decades because they didn't anounce it. They did seem pretty forthcoming about it when asked so maybe someone should have asked decades ago. I'm sure there are one or three of us that figured it out a long time ago. As for the rest, they didn't get offended until the story broke. Until then, they were just numbers and letters. I get it just fine.
    As to your Koran-Bible scenario, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one that would be offended. It's the content of the book that has meaning, not the ink and paper it was written on.

Again, it's not the religion. And, it's not the serial numbers. It's what they mean and what YOU intended them to mean regardless of what I choose for them to mean. It's the fact that you are FORCING ME to obey your ideals. And, it's the fact that you can't see or admit that it's WRONG for you to steal my rights. Or that you can't see that it's wrong for you to proselytize your beliefs upon me behind my back and then try to tell me that I'm the one who is at fault for it.

You have NO RIGHT to secretly conceal religious stuff and then blame those who object to being required to display or "speak" it.
    Nobody is forcing you to do anything. If you saw 1C16:13 or Q63H inscribed on your scope, you can choose to investigate the reference or ignore it. Either way, it only has meaning to you if you choose it so regardless of what it means to anyone else. If they had put the actual quote on the scope, I'd agree with you. The fact that they chose numerical references to biblical quotes to incorporate into the serial number shouldn't bother anyone anymore than if they used Heisman winners jersey numbers.
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Another notch of America goes down the tube.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links