self defense and christianity

self defense and christianity

This is a discussion on self defense and christianity within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking for some counter to the "turn the other cheek" and "thou shale not kill" responses to self defense. I think I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: self defense and christianity

Thumbs up self defense and christianity

I have been looking for some counter to the "turn the other cheek" and "thou shale not kill" responses to self defense.

I think I have found what I was looking for.

A Biblical Framework: Self Defense and Christianity, Part 1

I am not well versed, but it seamed to me that much of the argument was just a bit off level of what was written in the bible. these 4 pages explain what I knew but could not find. I hope someone else finds this helpful.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Senior Moderator
    Wasnt that written by one of our members here?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When Jesus returns...his angels will be carrying Glocks!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Wasnt that written by one of our members here?
    Yep, MinistrMalic

You may also be interested in
    The Bible and self-defense

and
    What does the Bible say about self-defense?

I have an article/lesson I wrote about this topic when i was still in ministry and Missouri had just passed its concealed carry law. A lot of parishioners were wondering about it. When i find it I'll post it. (or a link) I pretty sure the old floppy it's on is corrupted, but I have a hard copy somewhere. Discusses the legal and moral context of "turn the other cheek", Peter's sword, selling cloaks to buy swords and use of force in general.

And thanks for the links!
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

VIP Member
    I was thinking about this earlier today and wondered how many of us remember chapters 8 and 9 of the book of Esther. We remember Esther and Mordecai, but in chapter 8 and 9 we find that the way God delivered the Jews was by a decree giving them the right to defend themselves and notifying the governors and rulers of the provinces of that fact.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think there was just a discussion on this topic a day or so ago

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=christianity

A lot of good discussion, and a little back and forth, but we covered a lot of the bases.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I think there was just a discussion on this topic a day or so ago

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=christianity

A lot of good discussion, and a little back and forth, but we covered a lot of the bases.
    AH, great link. sorry I missed that discussion.....
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Thanks for the blog plug tbrenke!

The articles aren't perfect, but hopefully they help. Please use the information wisely, and when having a discussion about biblical stuff remember the "gentleness and reverence" part of 1 Peter 3 and the "in love part" of Ephesians 4:15 okay?
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Thanks for the blog plug tbrenke!

The articles aren't perfect, but hopefully they help. Please use the information wisely, and when having a discussion about biblical stuff remember the "gentleness and reverence" part of 1 Peter 3 and the "in love part" of Ephesians 4:15 okay?
    Ya mean we can't slay 'em with the jawbone of an ass?
    That's biblical...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

ah, when you're being told that the "armor of god" is enough and you do not need a gun, it is nice to have something to reference.

when your mother desides that the christan thing to do is pacifism, it is nice to have something to reference.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    They'll probably have some AR's too... I bet they won't need optics though...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Self Defense and Christianity

Questions:
    "I have been looking for some counter to the (1) "turn the other cheek" and (2) "thou shale not kill" responses to self defense."

I'm thinking:
    #1 - means to forgive those who offend you?
    #2 - I understand the literal translation is; Thou Shall Not "Murder". Murder of course being an illegal taking of a human life.

God does not oppose justified (or honorable) violence and I believe He expects us to engage in "Righteous" (good) violence. Defending the weak for example . . . being a sheep dog?

Example:
    You intervene in a violent act being commited against a child (kidnap, attempted molestation and/or murder) and the intervention escalates to combat and the perpetrator receives serious injury or death . . . (and if your action is reasonable under the circumstance) . . . I do not believe the LORD will see this scenario as a sin. Just my opinion.

Thoughts . . ?

Con1
    Romans 10:13
    Psalm 25:1-3
    Psalm 144: 1-3

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nah, don't you know that angels prefer a Weaver over an Isosceles stance? They're all outfitted with XD45 tactical.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Con1 View Post
    Questions:
    "I have been looking for some counter to the (1) "turn the other cheek" and (2) "thou shale not kill" responses to self defense."

Con1
    Romans 10:13
    Psalm 25:1-3
    Psalm 144: 1-3
    The turn the other cheek is a reference to being dishonored, not being attacked.

Matthew 5:39 (New International Version)
    39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Most folks are right handed. How can a right handed person strike you on the right cheek? By slapping you with the back of their hand. At the time this was a serious insult, but not a serious threat. So it speaks to not responding to an insult with violence. I don't believe it speaks to not responding to an attack with violence. See Job for the reference to striking the cheek.

Job 16:10 (New International Version)
    10 Men open their mouths to jeer at me;
    they strike my cheek in scorn
    and unite together against me.

For self defense in the home see this.

Exodus 22
    2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; 3 but if it happens [a] after sunrise, he is guilty of bloodshed.

There is good info here from Pax as well. There is more at the bottom. Great site all around. The best quote from here is "First, Christ's disciples were normally armed: Peter had a sword. Jesus wasn't surprised when Peter's sword came out (there are also other passages where Jesus refers to His followers' swords)."

Cornered Cat - Christianity & Pacifism

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links