How Much Practice?

This is a discussion on How Much Practice? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maintaining proficiency with a tool you may literally have to bet your life on some day is critical. How much do you practice in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Practice?

How Much Practice?

Maintaining proficiency with a tool you may literally have to bet your life on some day is critical. How much do you practice in a given month? This should be interesting.

I personally shoot 1,000 rounds through my 1911 in a given month. It consists of both target shooting and various drills.

2. Remove Ads

I go to the range every other weekend and put between 200 and 300 rounds down range with two or three weapons.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I practice on my .22lr everyday in different ways -- racking, moving, covering, draw and point, etc. I still shoot round paper plates every now and then but mostly trying to polish my techniques. Then once a month with my CCW and my BUG at an outdoor range. I used to like indoor ranges but since I got the feel of outdoor ranges, indoor ones doesn't cut it for me anymore. I don't know how much ammo I shoot -- I just shoot until I run out or I get sick of just static target shooting. I like to move.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

I currently go to the range 2x a month and practice specific drills, usually between 50-100 rds.

I shoot one IDPA match a month for extra practice.

I dry fire 2-3x each week.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Distinguished Member
    Now it's once or twice a week while I bone up on some new acquisitions. Plus some sporting clays now and then.

I like a membership to the range that way you can go and do 20-50 rounds and not feel like you are wasting the opportunity. Easier on the wrists.

I practice once or twice a week (sometimes more) plus compete at least twice a month. I shoot IDPA, ICORE and USPSA.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Me and the wife are going to hit the indoor range today matter of fact (after the gun show). We shoot whenever we can. Steel Challenge starts up again in March, looking forward to it. Probably throw in a few of the regular IPSC matches again this year and whatever works with our work schedules best. Used to be on a regular schedule for range time....that was twice a week, when I lived two miles from the range and had a better work schedule. Now, it's 65 miles to our club range, 30 miles to our nearest outdoor public range, 4 miles to the nearest indoor range, eight miles to the next closest indoor range, etc...... Sometimes it's difficult to decide to pay for the indoor range, or take the expense in gas to go to the outdoor range. We're probably down to shooting twice a month now, and the weather has more of an impact now than our schedules or travel.

The holidays and my deployment schedule have been limiting factors recently. I used to go twice a month and dispose of at least 500 or so rounds. A new indoor range opening up close by will help me get a little more range time.......much to my wife's dismay.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    As much as I can, time and money permitting. The average is 100 round a week, sometimes more if I can make it to the league shoot on Wednesdays.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I try to get at least 20 rnds through my EDC (weather) permitting, Sometimes
    moore sence ammo comming back arround, but I get 6the most out of my 20rnds As I draw & point shoot 3-10 yards, The resr good ole trusty .22's ;-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by naking View Post

I personally shoot 1,000 rounds through my 1911 in a given month. It consists of both target shooting and various drills.
    I couldn't afford that in money or time, even reloading. I'm down to about 3000 rounds a year in all the various rounds and guns I shoot.

In 2009 I shot 337 rounds through my carry gun, a P2000sk, a bit over 500 through a gun I'm testing for carry, and only 37 through my Seecamp, (I usually shoot about 100 a year or so, but good .32acp hp is really hard to find).

I try to dry fire and do tap-rack-bang drills at least 3 x a week. Range time varies.

I have been dealing with a shoulder injury (right of course) since early November and that has kept live fire practice to a minimum. I have probably been to the range 4 times since Thanksgiving.

Between holding 2 1/2 lbs of gun and recoil I am typically ready to hang it up after about 100-125 rounds down range. Draw practice has been impacted as well.

I think the ortho doc finally hit the sweet spot with this last cortisone injection so hopefully in another few weeks I can get back someplace to "normal".

I find that even consistent dry fire practice is helpful on the range. It helps prevent anticipation and flinching. If I dry fire for 4 or 5 days prior to a range trip I am much better than if I haven't or only did a day or so before.

Shooting skills are perishable and I have heard from someone in a course that even after 72 hours of non-practice that you are less sharp.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I couldn't afford that in money or time, even reloading. I'm down to about 3000 rounds a year in all the various rounds and guns I shoot.

In 2009 I shot 337 rounds through my carry gun, a P2000sk, a bit over 500 through a gun I'm testing for carry, and only 37 through my Seecamp, (I usually shoot about 100 a year or so, but good .32acp hp is really hard to find).
    Casting your own lead which you obtained for free from a friend who owns an auto shop really helps save cost.

I practice every night...Pulling the gun, reloading with extra mag, tap rack drills etc..... I wait till the wife goes to bed and start. I go to the range twice a month to practice my point shooting. In april the bowling pin comps start, Im looking forward to that.

i try to go twice a month and do about 500 rounds total but i have a range opening 2 miles from my house so hopefully i can go more often but will have to break up my ammo usage 45 auto aint cheap neither is .357 but by god i can shoot my .22lr all day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links