I hate to say it, but I told you so...

This is a discussion on I hate to say it, but I told you so... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone that I work with had been putting off getting her CWP for about 6 months now. She has a Ruger 9mm handgun. She took ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate to say it, but I told you so...

Someone that I work with had been putting off getting her CWP for about 6 months now.
    She has a Ruger 9mm handgun. She took the gun safety class and got the certificate.
    For the past month or so I have been trying to push her toward getting her carry permit before it's too late.
    She said that (at times) she wasn't even sure if she would carry it all the time and "What's the point?"...Obama will take it away anyway eventually.
    Well I told her the more people who have their permit, the less likely they will be able to take it away from us.
    She should have it in the meantime anyway so as to be "Grandfathered in" should they stop issuing them so easily.
    She would agree and that would be that.
    She would always have an excuse as to why she couldn't afford the $117.00.
    I told her if she had put 10 dollars a paycheck aside from all these weeks, she would now have more than enough saved to pay for it.
    So..I go to work today and she tells me that she had been held up along with all the other customers at gunpoint at a local McDonald's here in the Tampa area. Now she wants to get her CWP as soon as possible.
    I didn't really "rub it in" but, I asked her what she would have done if she had her gun on her that day.
    She said: "I don't know it's hard to tell & nobody really knows."
    I agree with this but, I wanted to see how she thinks she would have responded, because I think the biggest weapon of all is not our firearm. It is the mind that is controlling it.
    Everyone was fine and no one was shot or hurt but, the burglars (who were completely disguised in black head to toe) had taken the money from the cash register & and also a purse.
    She also said the cops didn't get there until 5 minutes after the robbers had already left.
    Which again proves the theory. When you need a cop in seconds they're only minutes away.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

gezzz, I'm glad no one was hurt.

Unless your there it's hard to tell how one will react, many factors come into play.

again, I'm glad everyone got out alive
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Don't Mess with my Big Mac

I would have ate my Big Mac and then I would have made cripsy critters out of them!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I hope she learned a valuable lesson, and it is good that she didn't have to pay for it (other than emotionally). Good job not telling her "I told you so" That would probably not have helped the situation.
    Walk softly ...

I have made similar statements to people, who after some situation (never an actual armed robbery) stated they should have had their CC or needed to get a CC permit.

They tend to come to me because in the past, I was vocal concerning pro-2A.

I tend to be slightly aggressive in responding. As I often believe they are expressing something that might be the wrong motivation the next time around.

IMHO, just because there is an armed robbery does not mean it if time to pull and shoot. It is one of several factors that have to be considered very quickly.

So I tend to respond, much like I think the OP did, as the more important sunday morning quarterback consideration, if no one was injured, is what would you have done if you were armed.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Too bad she didn't dial 1911 on the robber.

Nothing like a 'Mc Stick-up' to change your mind about how quickly to get that permit...now she knows why.
    Thankfully, no one was hurt.
    Any news links to the robbery?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm glad everyone was alright. I agree with you on the premise that we should be armed but I agree not with the intent to take on armed robbers of a McDonalds who are just there for the money. My thought on this is if they would have started to shoot customers, then it's time to react and take action or if they are intent on taking a hostage and action must be taken, at least you have the means to do so if you wish or if you have the training to do so or at least ensure that you are not that hostage/victim or your family.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Ever since my Mothers regular grocery store got held up at gun point...she doest ask "why I have to always carry that thing".
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Tampa is really going downhill. She needs that permit, you tried to tell her. Thank God she wasn't hurt and she will be able to move forward with a more leveled out playing field.

I used to live in Wauchula (Hardee County) back in the day. The reports I hear about Tampa and Orlando are not encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    Tampa is really going downhill. She needs that permit, you tried to tell her. Thank God she wasn't hurt and she will be able to move forward with a more leveled out playing field.

I used to live in Wauchula (Hardee County) back in the day. The reports I hear about Tampa and Orlando are not encouraging.
    Guess where all the Haitian refugees will be heading
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post

Florida used to have the highest crime rate in the united states, not sure who is now. Tampa is pretty bad, and so is clearwater which is right beside tampa. I'm almost like an inch from getting my parents to buy a home protection gun, at least they'll have protection in their home where it counts most. Its just a matter of getting my step dad to fork over money to get one. He has the money to buy any handgun he wants, its just a matter of convincing him he might need one in the future. I almost bought them one for Christmas but I would have gone broke with all the presents I already bought.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

You want some McLead with that McCash
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

... she had been held up ... at gunpoint at a local McDonald's here in the Tampa area.
    Ever since my Mothers regular grocery store got held up at gun point...she doest ask "why I have to always carry that thing".
    Things are often sharper and clearer after the storm.

I didn't really "rub it in" but, I asked her what she would have done if she had her gun on her that day.

She said: "I don't know it's hard to tell & nobody really knows."
    When one is untrained and unprepared, it is exceedingly hard to tell.

Focused, effective training can help change that, can provide options that would otherwise not exist, and can help a person survive situations that are downright difficult to survive.

Can't use what you don't have. If you don't have the ability to defend against attack, it's hard to expect you'll survive an attack. A CHL does you no good sitting at home in the sock drawer. It's best when supported by effective, ongoing training in an attempt to learn the reality of criminal attack, how we are affected by and respond to such situations, and to help prepare to survive and prevail in such situations.

I think the biggest weapon of all is not our firearm. It is the mind that is controlling it.
    One guiding principle I try to never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Ain't it the truth.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Funny how a dose of reality brings people into thier right mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links