Head position while gaining sight picture.

This is a discussion on Head position while gaining sight picture. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm cross eye dominant (right handed, left eye), and in my dry fire exercises I am finding that I tilt my head slightly to the ...

Thread: Head position while gaining sight picture.

I'm cross eye dominant (right handed, left eye), and in my dry fire exercises I am finding that I tilt my head slightly to the right. This moves my right eye from directly seeing down the sight and gives me a clear sight picture with my left and allows me to keep both eyes open while acquiring a target. In other words I don't get a double sight picture.

Should I hold my head this way, or should my head be oriented directly forward, in line with the gun? Shooting with an eye closed is more uncomfortable than having a double sight picture for me, but this allows me to see the sight picture clearly.

Is this correct, incorrect, or fall under 'whatever works'?
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

VIP Member
    I'd say whatever you need to do to get a proper sight picture and produces results is the way to go.

I too am right handed but left eye dominant. Thru training, I have been able to detect when this is happening. A quick closing of the left eye forces the right eye to pick up the picture, and I can then open the left eye back up without reverting back to left dominance. Before I learned how to do this, shooting trap was pia.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I'd say whatever you need to do to get a proper sight picture and produces results is the way to go.

I too am right handed but left eye dominant. Thru training, I have been able to detect when this is happening. A quick closing of the left eye forces the right eye to pick up the picture, and I can then open the left eye back up without reverting back to left dominance. Before I learned how to do this, shooting trap was pia.
    Funny thing, I can trap shoot fine. I didn't realize I was left eye dominant until I started firing handgun. I guess I can force right eye dominance but practicing for speed and accuracy I always default to my left while dry firing or shooting my P11.
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

I'm also cross-dominate (right hand/left eye) with my right eye being "weak" and never having been able to focus on a sight and target effectively. I've always shot my long guns left handed because of this. When shooting my handguns I shoot them right handed and when using an Isosceles stance, I bring the gun to the left and my head to the right and we all meet up close to the middle. If you were looking at me head on, you probably wouldn't even be able to tell I was doing it this way. If I use a Weaver stance (seldom), I bring the gun a little to the left and rest my right cheek on my bicep in order to aim with my left eye.

FWIW, I shoot all my handguns, rifles and shotguns with both eyes open and don't recall ever seeing a double sight picture. I firmly believe when shooting a handgun, especially with the mindset of it being used for defensive purposes, you should train yourself to shoot with both eyes open...train as you fight and fight as you train.

I regularly shoot as an ambi.
    I am right eye dominant.

When shooting with my left hand (which is most accurate for finite bullseye type shots) I do not move my head...I reposition my shoulders and hands.

I'll drop my right shoulder and lift my left to properly align the sights to my right eye. I keep both eyes open and looking down range toward the target picking up the front sight the whole time.
    When shooting using my left though I will reference my rear sight more than usual to be sure proper alignment is made as relative to the front and by that the bore of the firearm. This applies to handguns and longguns.

Again both eyes open aware of the environment around me and I get no double vision issues what so ever.
    As to my head it remains in a natural and thus more comfortable and with that functionally sustainable position.
    It requires far less movement and muscle strain to slightly dip/raise a shoulder than it does to crane ones neck for a single shot muchless holding that for a series of shots fired.

Being able to shoot with either hand is a critical skill.
    As we discussed in yesterdays thread where that guy was shot in both hands during a defense scenario, if you happen to take a wound to your dominant hand can you adapt to the issue and remain functional?
    Time to know that is not in the seconds after but in the months and years as prior through training.

I have for years now practiced doing with my left hand anything and everything I can with my right from batting and throwing to draw, magazine reloads and firing at speed and as for fine accuracy.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Machina View Post
    Funny thing, I can trap shoot fine. I didn't realize I was left eye dominant until I started firing handgun. I guess I can force right eye dominance but practicing for speed and accuracy I always default to my left while dry firing or shooting my P11.
    That's because trapshooting is completely different than handgun shooting.

Running a shotgun involves pointing the firearm not aiming it.
    Where as a handgun is aimed.

Your cross eye dominance would not have been of functional concern (or notice) toward shotgun and clays because the primary aiming device is the length of barrel itself as a spatial relationship to the target that you see at X distance. As long as you have ability to see at all you can hit the target regardless of eye dominance or even lack of depth perception as I suffer as by birth anomaly...And persons who have who have lost an eye lose as a function.

While running a handgun using conventional type design sights, and not point shooting, does directly involve alignment of the bore as to the target through sight positioning.
    At that cross eye dominance then would have an effect as per relation of the sight to the dominant eye.
    This is why you never see eye dominance being an item of concern with shotgun training. It is not a factor of functional importance.
    Same applies to conventional rifle training as well because generally one eye is closed and that is the eye of the non dominant hand as when taking the shot...While using irons or a scope.
    Modern combat shooting as with 1x optics allow for both eyes to be open but again due to lack of sights as there is just a dot for an aiming point the concept of eye dominance is not applicable/nullified.

Remember that handguns are handguns and longguns are long guns while shotguns in specific, they are shotguns.
    Method and manner of directing their projectile fire does differ and is functionally specific. Even as the net result might be same, with a hole in the target at X, Y or Z distance.

- Janq

Edit:
    BTW I forgot to mention, a solid projectile such as fired from a handgun or rifle is not affected by the axis on which the firearm is aimed and fired.
    A gun fired on it's side or even as held upside down will have the exact same point of impact as one aimed and fired straight up and down.
    Key is to align the bore properly as in relation to where the desired point of impact might be, as across a distance.
    With handguns in specific and they generally being flat shooters at normally applicable ranges it matters not how the gun is aligned as long as it's bore is aligned...All thanks to the gyroscopic effect of barrel rifling.
    So again there is no express need to contort ones head & neck position so as to aim as like Horatio Caine and much of the rest of Hollyweird depictions.
    Keep it simple, and easiest for ergonomic application.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links