Pack a Gun to Protect Valuables from Airline Theft or Loss

This is a discussion on Pack a Gun to Protect Valuables from Airline Theft or Loss within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read this article and I was wondering if any of you were aware of this and had possibly tried this? It sounds like a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pack a Gun to Protect Valuables from Airline Theft or Loss

I read this article and I was wondering if any of you were aware of this and had possibly tried this? It sounds like a good idea in theory but I am leery of doing it with how different the regulations can be from state to state. What are your thoughts?

~ Brian

Something similar was suggested on one of the professional trade forums I read. Since the forum is largely populated by liberal sheeple they suggested an alternate to a gun- a starter pistol (since most of them don't own a gun anyway).

Honestly I'm not sure I would trust any of my guns to the FAA! I heard something a few weeks back on Beck's show about the FAA losing a pistol and while the flight went to Nevada the pistol ended up in Canada!!!
    ~ Brian

Quote Originally Posted by SG27 View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure I would trust any of my guns to the FAA! I heard something a few weeks back on Beck's show about the FAA losing a pistol and while the flight went to Nevada the pistol ended up in Canada!!!
    Thats why you buy a $20 starter pistol and don't worry about it.

I _love_ this!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Y'all didn't know that luggage with checked firearms go into the special handling category? Gets inspected right away, gets off the plane first, usually stored in a secure location at the airport. Of course the downside is that you have to check a firearm at the airport, and sometimes the ticket counter personnel are easily spooked.

Thumbs down Goofy

I was asked about this by an individual whom does not have any idea of the complexity of firearm laws. I told him I thought it was a very bad idea unless:

He wanted to become conversant/expert with the laws in any state in which he boarded or deplaned;
    As well as TSA Rules and Regs; and
    Airline Regs

This is ignoring federal rules that might apply

I think it is a pretty stupid idea but for the truly educated that want to run the ropes.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Good point Richard but I do not think that this is "Goofy".

The idea is to do something like this if you are flying with expensive equipment or something of value. Not on a regular basis although you could. Personally, I fly with a saxophone that due to its size and the airlines actually sticking to the size limits for carry on items I now have to check.
    ~ Brian

This is a great video to watch. Sounds like he knows the laws too. Not there's some NSFW language.

YouTube - Deviant Ollam - Packing and the Friendly Skies - LayerOne 2009

Also has a website with more info. Ranks the airlines on gun friendliness as well.

deviating.net

Looks interesting, but long...bookmarked for later review.
    Thanks for the post!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yep, Deviant is the best source of advice on the ins & outs of flying w. firearms. I started following his routine to the letter this year, and have had nothing but positive experiences so far w. airline personnel & TSA people at check-in. I use a surplus 81mm mortar case secured by a disc padlock. I did take care to sand off the original army stenciling on the that had scary words like, 'explosive projectiles' :-)

My wife had a great idea on the stencil theme - I found a good stencil font online and made my own, spray painted 'GUCCI' on each end for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    This is a great video to watch. Sounds like he knows the laws too. Not there's some NSFW language.

Also has a website with more info. Ranks the airlines on gun friendliness as well.

deviating.net

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post

deviating.net

Thank you for the additional information!!! This is exactly what I have been looking for!!!!
    ~ Brian

Since there are no markings or identification tags on the bag, I fail to see that carrying a starter pistol makes the contents safer.

In my experience after the inspection the bag goes on the conveyer, and comes off just like all other bags.

Regards,
    Jerry

Correct, Jerry however the bag is locked and is only inspected with you physically standing there beside it. If someone is going to jack something they're going to take the item from a bag. The probability of someone jacking your entire bag is substantially less. This is the added security you gain by placing a "firearm" in your bags.
    ~ Brian

Quote Originally Posted by SG27 View Post
    Correct, Jerry however the bag is locked and is only inspected with you physically standing there beside it. If someone is going to jack something they're going to take the item from a bag. The probability of someone jacking your entire bag is substantially less. This is the added security you gain by placing a "firearm" in your bags.
    Not always. There are several airports I've been through where, once the firearm is verified as being unloaded by the ticket agent and the firearm declaration is signed, the case is locked, placed on a conveyor, and later inspected by TSA. I have flown at least twice a month since early 2007. I've flown with a firearm at least 75% of those trips and can only think of a handful of airports where TSA inspects the firearm with the owner present.

I will say this though - I have gotten a TSA inspection notice every time I've flown with a firearm, but only a few times when flying without.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links