Defensive Carry banner

What should I look for in a Starter Pistol

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
If I was to pursue this following our discussion from <thread> what should I look for in a Starter Pistol? Obviously quality really doesn't matter and I would like to keep it inexpensive but... I think you guys all know what I mean.

Thanks!

#2 ·
My parents both officiate bicycle races and rely on starter pistols quite a bit. Revolvers are the way to go, and you don't want one that has to use the crimped end blanks. The open end blanks, while sometimes harder to find, are much louder. Also avoid the .22 cal ones.

Edit...ignore all of this...see my post below. I'm ignant.

#3 ·
All you need is an Airsoft or BB/pellet projectile firing air pistol.

I have had for years a Walther P90 Compact as by Crosman that is CO2 powered, all metal (magnesium) and has a blowback slide that I use outdoors in my back yard for point shooting training....And it is an excellent gun fearful starter gun to introduce persons to safe firearms handling. I paid $69 on sale at Dick's like 5 or 6 years ago.

You can these days find similar for as little as $30 NIB.
Crosman C11 CO2 Airgun .177 BB/Repeater Semi Auto - Pistols
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols?p=

Why invest money in something that will serve you no specific purpose when instead you can meet your primary need and still have it be a functional firearm tool for other purposes, and not spend a lot of money at it either.

Two or more applications for same or less than the price of one otherwise useless starter gun.

- Janq

#5 ·
No adrenalin, you were/are on point.

In that other thread the suggested piece is "starter pistol".
But as within that thread the other applicable options include;

A "weapons" is defined as a rifle, shotgun, pistol, airgun, and STARTER PISTOL. Yes, starter pistols - those little guns that fire blanks at track and swim meets - are considered weapons...and do NOT have to be registered in any state in the United States.
My suggestion is in kind with the totality of the text, as being an airgun.
Like a starter gun airguns also are not required to be registered in any state nor do they require a permit or license to keep...Not even in MA (if you are aged 18 or greater).

So I suggested an airgun for purpose of maximized bang for the buck use as opposed to that of a throw away starters gun.
You though were not off track in your post. I just happened to answer from an alternate direction of view.

- Janq

#6 ·
Here's my take on the whole idea:

I was asked about this by an individual whom does not have any idea of the complexity of firearm laws. I told him I thought it was a very bad idea unless:

He wanted to become conversant/expert with the laws in any state in which he boarded or deplaned;
As well as TSA Rules and Regs; and
Airline Regs

This is ignoring federal rules that might apply

I think it is a pretty stupid idea but for the truly educated that want to run the ropes.
For those that want to, and are able to keep it all straight, I'd go for it. My friend, no. He's a scientist, not an attorney.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.