410/45 mouse cannon

This is a discussion on 410/45 mouse cannon within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by hudsonvalley It would definitely be hard to identify the guy who shot you....... Disagree. A .410 shell of birdshot isn't going to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 410/45 mouse cannon

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    It would definitely be hard to identify the guy who shot you.......
    Disagree. A .410 shell of birdshot isn't going to do much damage, even at almost point blank range. A ski mask would probably stop some of the pellets. Even if they managed to penetrate through the skull to the brain, they would make wound channels too narrow to gurantee a stop. That is assuming you make a perfect hit. Anywhere else on the body and the target will still be close to 100%. It's not like they are going to instantly bleed out from holes that small, even if an artery is hit. Could you kill someone with a .410 shotshell? Sure. But you can also kill someone with a blank round, or a BB pistol. If you want to use a gimmicky gun like the Judge for HD, load it with a quality .45 defensive round. Anything that can penetrate bone and tissue deeply enough to stop the bad guy is going to go through a few layers of interior gypsum board so plan accordingly.

2. Remove Ads

With out going into every post I betting you are referring to the "judge"... shot one not too bad of a recoil real manageable, kind of bulky (long in the cylinder) but there is nothing that can be done about that, great snake gun, now you want real bad mouse gun try my Derringer with .410 on the top n .357 on the bottom that is one real hand full to shoot...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I don't know why the .410 gets a bad rap.
    A .410 with buckshot is the same as a 12ga. with the same shot.
    There are simply fewer pellets.
    Each of those pellets would do the same damage as a 12 ga. pellet.

Bird shot from a .410 and bird shot from a 12 ga. would have similar results.

Although the Judge is sort of a gimmick, there are stories of people successfully defending themselves with one.

The owner of the range I shoot at actually MISSED a snake with the Judge. And he is not a bad shot. Too much spread. Also check out the box o truth test

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Keep in mind though that just like buckshot and slug, birdshot is not one type of ammo but actually comes in a wide variety of projectile types, size and payload weight.
    One 'birdshot' shot is not that of all. There are specific type & size birdshot that are functionally appropriate for human defense.

For specific SD/HD use as when firing at humans within close quarters, as rather than birds on the wing at distances measured in yards by the tens as far out as 60 (180 ft.!), the correct selection of shot type, size and payload is what makes the difference. Same as with selection of handgun or rifle ammunition.

Birdshot in specific size of BBB to F as in either steel, lead or in the last decade new high density shot as available in tungsten alloy and bismuth are all appropriate for SD/HD use as at typical and expected combat distances.
    Nobody is going to be defending themself or their home, inside or out, at 40 to 60 yds. (!)...Never mind using a shotgun or for that matter a handgun firing shot of any sort or shot type to do so.
    I'd agree that shot size makes a difference. The problem is, in .410, #4 is about as big as you can find until you go to buckshot. Although it may be a deterent, possibly lethal at close range, I'm not going to stake my life on irritating someone. I'd feel more comfortable using a .22 than a .410 revolver loaded with #4 shot shells. It's good for snakes, not for people that might be trying to kill ya.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I've got a 3inch Judge,
    and must say it is the gun world equilvalant to the squid sport bike.
    but man-o-man is that thing fun.

but any one who doubts the H/D power of that thing come on down and kick My door in.

Any one in My home can pick it up and hit anything with the short barrel shot gun range that the gun designer had in mind.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopard125 View Post
    I've got a 3inch Judge,
    and must say it is the gun world equilvalant to the squid sport bike.
    but man-o-man is that thing fun.

but any one who doubts the H/D power of that thing come on down and kick My door in.

Any one in My home can pick it up and hit anything with the short barrel shot gun range that the gun designer had in mind.
    Don't doubt it a bit, as long as it's loaded right. Does seem like a fun gun. I haven't shot one yet.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links