410/45 mouse cannon

This is a discussion on 410/45 mouse cannon within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone give me stats on a 410/45 pistol for defense? I know 410 would be handy for snakes, and heard that the #4shot has spread ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 410/45 mouse cannon

410/45 mouse cannon

Anyone give me stats on a 410/45 pistol for defense?
    I know 410 would be handy for snakes, and heard that the #4shot has spread of a dinner plate @15yrds....but what about stopping power?
    Is it true that muzzle speed is cut in 1/2 opposed to a 20" barrel?
    .... maybe I should just get "shot" rounds for my .45

2. Remove Ads

45 great, after all its a 45, 410 more than likely gonna piss somebody off.If I had to shoot someone with a 410 it would be in my single shot , full choke H&R. But only if I had to, there are a lot better choices out there.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You can research numbers until the end of time. But I think a facefull of .410 ga. #4 shot at any speed would be extremely discouraging.

There's not much to .45 snakeshot or any other pistol round for that matter. Very close range only.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Shot in a 45 may not cycle it, if SA.

I have a friend that carries a Judge and he's as happy as can be. He's a heavy equipment operator and he's dispatched a few critters with ease from the cab. It's not a "take it to the range for an all day shoot" kind of gun but it does as advertised.

I've always wanted one of these

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

This has always been my philosophy . . . first round in my firearm is always a "shot" round. Why? Because if accidentally discharged, the round wouldn't likely penetrate through a wall of a house, thereby lessing the danger of accidentally firing the weapon and killing an innocent bystander. In a self-defense mode, the "shot will damage/hurt an intruder, but the second and third round would be lethal.

Each of you will do whatever you want, it just what I do.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

thanx

thanks guys...
    I thinks I just rather stick with what I got. Besides, the Taurus 45/410 is actually over an inch longer than my Para-Carry.45
    I'll just make sure my ColdSteel camping shovel is kept handy for them snakes

Guns Magazine, June, 2003 by C. Rodney James
    'The .410 slug capable or comical?'
    The .410 slug capable or comical? | Guns Magazine | Find Articles at BNET

.410 slugs

Source - The 410 slug

I personally would have no problem with using .420 slug as against a human being so as for intent to stop a threat, if for some odd reason I had no access to .45 LC.
    With a choice between the two though it's seems to me to be a no brainer as to which way to go.

'Bond Arms SNAKE SLAYER 410/45 Long Colt'
    YouTube - Bond Arms SNAKE SLAYER 410/45 Long Colt

- Janq

Edit: Zacii beat me to the punch. I'm with you man. If I were to choose a true 'mouse/pocket gun' that is what what I'd run with.
    Why go .380 when you can have a shotgun pistol firing slugs or a .45 LC in hand with no worry about is it going to cycle to fire or will the projectiles penetrate at all muchless deeply enough to be effective.

http://www.bondarms.com
    "Not Available in California or Massachusetts"...Which means it probably doesn't suck!
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've always wanted one of these

I saw one at the gun show. When I asked the guy how it fired out of curiosity, he replied "It's a 45 derringer. It fires how you think it would"

My parents have a 38 derringer, and that thing is so small no matter how hard you grip it, it rotates up with the recoil and fires 6in above POA at 15ft.

Still fun as hell though. The 45 has a bigger handle if I remember correctly. The 38 fits maybe between the ring and middle finger as far as where the grip comes to. Wouldn't carry it though obviously.
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

winchester has a new .410 loading that sounded real nice to me...essentially 3 discs that catch the rifling acting as bullets backed by shot pellets. not sure if its out yet but here is a teaser video (would love to see more of the testing/results)

YouTube - The Taurus .410 Judge at SHOT Show 2010

kpw
    Forget the birdshot for defense. We had an incident here a couple of years ago where a couple guys were stealing ATVs from a lady's barn. They shot at her when she went out to investigate. A friend of hers pulled up and engaged the shooter with his Judge, loaded with BS. The shooter fled on an ATV into the woods. They caught him later and he had multiple pellets in his skin but was otherwise ok. No penetration.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

For the weight and price of a 2-shot Bond Arms, you could carry a G26, or a Charter .38 snubby.
    The Judge might work for night-stand duty, or snakes if you're out tromping around the woods, but too big for regular carry, IMHO.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You can research numbers until the end of time. But I think a facefull of .410 ga. #4 shot at any speed would be extremely discouraging.

There's not much to .45 snakeshot or any other pistol round for that matter. Very close range only.
    It would definitely be hard to identify the guy who shot you.......
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Forget the birdshot for defense. We had an incident here a couple of years ago where a couple guys were stealing ATVs from a lady's barn. They shot at her when she went out to investigate. A friend of hers pulled up and engaged the shooter with his Judge, loaded with BS. The shooter fled on an ATV into the woods. They caught him later and he had multiple pellets in his skin but was otherwise ok. No penetration.
    And Dick Cheney shot a man in the face with 'birdshot' who went on to shake it off and later apologize to the V.PoTUS for being in his way to get shot, in the face (!).

Keep in mind though that just like buckshot and slug, birdshot is not one type of ammo but actually comes in a wide variety of projectile types, size and payload weight.
    One 'birdshot' shot is not that of all. There are specific type & size birdshot that are functionally appropriate for human defense.

Source - Shotgun Ammo and more Shotgun Ammo! ShotgunWorld.com is Your Best Source for Shotgun Info on shotgun ammo.

Source - Steel vs. Lead: Differences You Should Know

For specific SD/HD use as when firing at humans within close quarters, as rather than birds on the wing at distances measured in yards by the tens as far out as 60 (180 ft.!), the correct selection of shot type, size and payload is what makes the difference. Same as with selection of handgun or rifle ammunition.

Birdshot in specific size of BBB to F as in either steel, lead or in the last decade new high density shot as available in tungsten alloy and bismuth are all appropriate for SD/HD use as at typical and expected combat distances.
    Nobody is going to be defending themself or their home, inside or out, at 40 to 60 yds. (!)...Never mind using a shotgun or for that matter a handgun firing shot of any sort or shot type to do so.

Buckshot comes in various sizings as well including the very much applicable to SD/HD #4 shot

People shooting 'target' loads as commonly for use to break clays (a very small diameter high pellet volume but low energy type of small bird intent 'birdshot') are why people fail with birdshot.
    They buy that stuff because it's relatively inexpensive and/or they don't know what they are doing to start so they just go to Dicks, WalMart or the local 'gun shop' and buy a box of whatever is on sale and store that away with the gun for general purpose use from shooting pumpkins to clays to oh snap there goes Deebo runnin' off with my stuff...shootin.

Same as with handgun and rifle, regardless of use, you have to wonder/ask what _specific_ type of shot/projectile payload was employed as part and parcel to the failure, or success.

- Janq

"Shot size can be adjusted for the game being hunted." - Hunter-Ed.com
    Last edited by Janq; January 27th, 2010 at 05:48 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links