Soldier shoots himself at range

This is a discussion on Soldier shoots himself at range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Friday, 05-12-06, a soldier at the gun shop/indoor range I usually buy from and go to rented a pistol and shot himself in the head. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier shoots himself at range

Friday, 05-12-06, a soldier at the gun shop/indoor range I usually buy from and go to rented a pistol and shot himself in the head. Police haven't released what type of pistol but the soldier is in the hospital in bad shape. This range is only a handful of miles from Ft. Bragg, NC, and gets a lot of business from the military. No motive has been released, if it is in fact known. Same thing happened at the same range in 2003. Have any of you heard of this being a common occurance? Just curious. Keep the soldier in your prayers.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Feel bad for the individual and whatever problems that he may have to make him think that life wasn't worth living. I hope he finds peace in either life or death (sad to believe he probably will never function on his own if he lives, though). I also don't like these stories as they feed the "Anti-fire".
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Assistant Administrator
    <shudder> - bad all round.

Bad for the dude, his family and yes, sad to say I have to always also be aware of what bad press accrues.

I think tho this is something will always from time to time occur - no way to stop it unless you closed all ranges and, even then - anyone with determination will find a way to do the deed. Very sad and tragic aspect to life today.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

As terrible as this is this is the exact reason our range put cameras in the lanes. Unfortunately it was an old friend of mine that did it.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Quote Originally Posted by czman2006
    Friday, 05-12-06, a soldier at the gun shop/indoor range I usually buy from and go to rented a pistol and shot himself in the head.
    are you talking about jims pawn shop by chance?

VIP Member
    Ranges that rent guns will have suicides and attempted suicides at a rate based on the size of the population area they serve. The one in NoVA probably averages 1 a year over time. Some years they don't have any, one year I recall they had at least two. It is something that is going to happen. Not a lot you can do about it as the range operator.

-Scott-

Have any of you heard of this being a common occurance? Just curious. Keep the soldier in your prayers.
    A "common" occurence...no. Does it happen..unfortunately, yes. While stationed at Parris Island, a young MP decided to shoot himself in the head with a Colt 10mm that was being passed around the room for everyone to admire. He was the father of a newborn baby girl... No suicide note was found as I recall; it wasn't his weapon. It just seemed to be a spur-of-the moment thing. Some months before I arrived there (November 1991) a Marine Captain managed to get himself vaporized at the PI grenade range...not sure if that one was a suicide or accident.

Ditto with what WJP9 said... After being clinically dead for a (thankfully) brief time in a car accident in 1993, I fail to understand why anyone would want to end their life prematurely, especially since 99% of these peoples "problems" are no where even close to being worth killing themselves over...

One of my favorite quotes, even before almost losing *my* life, is the following famous quote that was found written by an unknown Marine* on a C-ration box at the battle of Khe Sahn :

"For those who have to fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered will never know."

Indeed... The truth of these words can 't truly be appreciated until one has experienced it for themselves. I could use a billion of the most eloquent and decriptive words in the world to describe what chocolate tastes like to someone who has never tried it...and they would still be clueless until they actually take a bite for themselves.

Why someone chooses to throw away all of their tomorrows over some petty Bull is quite beyond me...

(*Could have been my Dad for all I know..he was there at the height of the mostly artillery vs. artillery battle, and had some literary/philosophical propensities)
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

erh
    "Life ain't like no bowl-a-cherries..."; wish his mind was a little tighter, but a man (or woman..) can see things/ do things, that are hard to bare! I'm sorry to hear this, I Love to hear that our Soldiers are all OK but they (We...) are not always able to overcome... Lets think well for his family and friends. Again Sorry to hear about it..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

erh
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    As terrible as this is this is the exact reason our range put cameras in the lanes. Unfortunately it was an old friend of mine that did it.
    I'm sure a camera would have deturred the situation..!
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Friday, 05-12-06, a soldier at the gun shop/indoor range I usually buy from and go to rented a pistol and shot himself in the head. Police haven't released what type of pistol but the soldier is in the hospital in bad shape. This range is only a handful of miles from Ft. Bragg, NC, and gets a lot of business from the military. No motive has been released, if it is in fact known. Same thing happened at the same range in 2003. Have any of you heard of this being a common occurance? Just curious. Keep the soldier in your prayers.

Jims?

Guns Plus?

I hope the soldier recovers and gets the help he needs!
    This sort of thing happened at a local range in my area. Since the occurance the range instituted a new policy. Their policy is they will not rent you a gun unless you came into the range with a gun.
    We also had a gentelman walk into a local gun shop asked to see a pistol. He took the pistol pulled ammo out of his pocket loaded it (while running out of the store) and shot himself outside the store.
    I guess no matter what if you are hell bent on killing yourself you will do it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg
    Jims? Guns Plus?
    has guns plus built an indoor range? i remember when they were just a small shop in a strip mall there in spring lake, and then they grew into their new building but when i left fayetteville a couple years ago they didnt have an indoor range. jims on the other hand, was awesome.

Can the range in some strange way be held legally/civily responsible for this incident? That'd be a true shame.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erh
    I'm sure a camera would have deturred the situation..!
    Not likely for deterrence, but definitely a liability protector. Just in case someone questions whether or not he shot himself or if some crazy unsafe situation caused it. Although, the gun in hand usually verifies it, but people will try anything to push the blame. That would definitely be a tape handed over to the authorities for them to keep. I wouldn't want the liability of it getting out all over the internet or something.

(Crap, I rambled again.)
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links