Charles Daly closed !

Charles Daly closed !

This is a discussion on Charles Daly closed ! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After days of rumors on the net this was posted this morning on the Daly forum. To all our friends, fans, supporters and consumers of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Charles Daly closed !

After days of rumors on the net this was posted this morning on the Daly forum.

To all our friends, fans, supporters and consumers of Charles Daly and by extension, KBI products, I regret to inform you that the rumors of our demise are true.

KBI is going out of business and closing its doors, effective today.

I don't want to go into each and every detail as to why this has occurred, except to say that there have been a multitude of events over the past five years that have contributed to our current situation.

For those of you with ongoing service requirements, please be advised that we are currently negotiating with several companies that will be performing after-sale service of Charles Daly, CD Defense and Jericho firearms. As soon as we have finalized a contract with one of these companies we will post the name, address and contact details of that company so you will know who to contact to obtain service on your KBI firearm.

We will allow this forum to remain open as long as all discourse remains civil. If any posts deteriorate to a level that is beneath the standards of this forum then the forum will be closed to all posters and will only exist for announcements from KBI.

Again, I wish to thank all of you that have supported our company, this forum and Charles Daly these past 20 years. This spells the end of KBI but I imagine it will certainly not mean the end of Charles Daly and CD Defense. Look for this excellent brand to resurface in the very near future.

Sincerely,

I can imagine that losing the deal with BUL on the G4 nailed the coffin shut. I'm also hearing sales on the Daly Defense line were a lot less than expected. The new shotgun line failed at the gate with junk from the factory. CDNN was selling them when they were released which is never a good sign.

I'm a fan or what Mr K was trying to do but at they end of the day he's only one guy. Customer service had been non existent for the last few weeks. Dropping the Armscor line of products to end up with nothing had to be an error.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Too bad to lose another firearms company.Did Charles Daly really make their
    own designs ? The ones I saw were remakes of other companies older models just
    reworked. In this day and age a company with no service is dead ! You have to have the ability to service your firearm lines which means you need ti invest
    money in training for employees.I not talking about staying after work when everyone gone home where the boss orders a couple pizzas and a case a beer
    while you watch a movie on how to perform certain tasks Charles Daly and Jericho
    pistols

Administrator
    Gee...I'd better get ready to get criticized but, in my opinion there are better firearms (in general) out there for not very much more spent with regard to money.

No super great loss to the world of firearms.

Capitalism reared its head and a ho-hum company bit the dust.

Charles Daly was mostly in importer. Their old 1911 line came from Armscor. They manufacture a whole boat load of 1911's. (RIA,Citadel,STI Spartan and the STI GI) Daly evidently had a falling out with Armscor and went back to BUL who was currently making double stack 1911s for them and Kimber I believe. Citadel picked up the line and now sells the heck out of them in the 400-500 range. They are a good buy and better quality than the American Classic stuff that i've been seeing.

The plan was to get BUL to make the 1911 that was designed with opinion from the forum. The G4 was born and a few of us had been waiting to buy one. BUL decided CD couldn't sell as many of them as they wanted to produce so the line was given to Magnum Research. MRI quickly insulted the intelligence of every 1911 owner with their advertising. Saying" It too nearly 100 years for the 1911 to earn the name Desert Eagle" What a joke ! As far as I know that gun is not yet released.

People were expecting the Tavor rifle to be a CD line released soon. That would have been big. CD has lost a few products along the way by not securing the deal before releasing the info to the public. The tac light on Sigs website is one of those issues. CD also had the ZDA (Sig 226 knock off) for a while but now I believe it's back to CZ. The whole CZ deal is another can of worms i'm not going to get into here. There was also a striker fired platform gun to compete with the Glock that was lost along the way.

Sorry of i'm long winded but once I get rolling it's over. lol

I hope Mr K get's rolling in the future and hires some better people to help him.

Clint Smith

Administrator
    Good informational post tapout1003. I learned a few things.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Daly used to be an honored name in firearms. Their demise came when they started outsourcing to third world countries. They were nothing but a remarked RIA.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I don't know all the details of why, but it has to say something for a gun manufacturer to close it's doors while everyone else is working 24/7 to keep up with demand.
    Sounds like sloppy management.

VIP Member
    Losing the Zastava contract to Remington probably hurt quite a bit.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    I don't know all the details of why, but it has to say something for a gun manufacturer to close it's doors while everyone else is working 24/7 to keep up with demand.
    Sounds like sloppy management.
    Ain't that the truth. Seems like everyone else is back-ordered.

So should we pass on buying any of their guns out there?

I would.

IMO Charles Daly products were way over priced. I have two 44-40 single actions that I bought, KBI importer with the Liberty name. They are made in Italy by ASM. I paid less than 200 bucks for each of them new.

When Charles Daly took over, the same gun, same actual manufacturer in Italy, Daly bumped the price up to 425 or so.

They are good guns for what I bought them for, but for the price Daly was asking, Vaqueros would have been the better deal.

Way over priced product for what you were getting, sorry to say it is no great loss in my book.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks QKShooter !

I will purchase any of the "old" armscor pistols at the right price. To me that's around 325.00 depending on condition and model. The all black first version was a good buy but a little lower quality compared to later models.

The first 1911 I personally purchased was a CD. I was very spoiled by my fathers Colt collection and I started slow. I paid somewhere around 350 NIB at a show. Within a month I added a Custom Royal Kimber for $600. The CD ate everything and the Kimber was a jam o matic. This was right around the time when everyone knew the Kimber warranty rep by first name on the gun boards for his bad reputation. I haven't bought a Kimber since.

I would also buy stripped AR lowers at a good price point. The ones I have played with were good quality. I'd like to know for sure who makes them. I've heard rumors but never knew for sure. The complete rifles were priced to high to compete.

Avoid any of the new shotguns. Some of the old ones were ok but the prices would have to be very low now without any warranty support.

CD as a company had some great ideas. I would have bought the CD9 after seeing it on paper. The same with the G4. There is a market for importing guns. Just ask Springfield and STI.

I personally believe Mr K was dealing with companies on a handshake and it worked against him. I feel sorry for the guy. He came online a couple years ago and really tried to fix things with their reputation.

Clint Smith

tapout...I respectfully disagree with your statement about Springfield and STI. I believe if the majority of people buying them knew they were mainly Filipino guns, the sales would drop dramatically. Bet that's why neither of them advertise the fact.

AZ

I completely agree. I was looking at more of a profit standpoint. The illusion of being American made sure helps.

The quality of the Springfield GI series is nowhere near what it seems. It doesn't even carry the Springfield logo. What was running through my mind at the time was the HS2000 before they renamed it the XD.

I love STI guns. INHO the spartan is overpriced but I would buy one for the right price. I've heard rumors the new GI is Armscor and some it isn't. Time will tell.

Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links