Outdoor plinking in NH

This is a discussion on Outdoor plinking in NH within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody else from NH know what the rules are for shooting outdoors? I've heard of various folks who live in slightly more rural areas shoot ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wkientz1

Thread: Outdoor plinking in NH

Outdoor plinking in NH

Anybody else from NH know what the rules are for shooting outdoors? I've heard of various folks who live in slightly more rural areas shoot in their backyard all the time. I live in a condo and the association rules do not allow for OC or target shooting/hunting on property. Right on the edge of the property are the power lines that have plenty of trails that hunters use though. Just not sure where you can and can't shoot in "public" space. Seems a lot more sensible to go out in the woods to shoot my 22 than going to the range.

2. Remove Ads

I shoot my 22 in my basement...
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

I believe it varies from town to town,some towns better than others.I have shot in a friend`s backyard backed by woods in New Boston with no problem.In Bedford,not within 300 yds of another dwelling,but the neighbors would all freak out,so why bother.Check with the Merrimack Leos?

Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    Anybody else from NH know what the rules are for shooting outdoors? I've heard of various folks who live in slightly more rural areas shoot in their backyard all the time. I live in a condo and the association rules do not allow for OC or target shooting/hunting on property. Right on the edge of the property are the power lines that have plenty of trails that hunters use though. Just not sure where you can and can't shoot in "public" space. Seems a lot more sensible to go out in the woods to shoot my 22 than going to the range.
    Well I have shot full auto 9mm and 45 in my buddies back yard in rural New Hampshire, they also shot full auto 50 cal in a nearby quarry!!!

YouTube - Ma Deuce test Fire in New Hampshire

Tint Bob (UK)

I just use my head and shoot at safe places.In the woods out of the city limits are good.Just ask around in your neck of the woods.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dstringf View Post
    From: Frequently Asked Questions about New Hampshire Gun Laws | Free State Blogs

Q: Where is it legal to shoot?

A: Per state law (RSAs 207:3-a, 207:3-c, and 644:13), you may not shoot across or within 15 feet of a road, or “within 300 feet of a permanently occupied dwelling without permission of the owner or the occupant of the dwelling or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow is situated.”

You also may not discharge a firearm within the “compact part of a town or city,” defined as “the territory within a town or city comprised of the following:

(a) Any nonresidential, commercial building, including, but not limited to, industrial, educational, or medical buildings, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all such buildings without permission of the owner.

(b) Any park, playground, or other outdoor public gathering place designated by the legislative body of the city or town.

(c) Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent dwellings and the spaces between them where each such building is within 300 feet of at least one of the others, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all the buildings in such area.”

Further, it’s just common sense and courtesy to ask permission of the landowner to shoot on private property, even if there is no “permanently occupied dwelling” within 300 feet.

Hmmph.. I moved up here because of the FSP. You'd think I would have seen that posted already.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post

any public land unless posted any private land with permission land must not be" compact area"
    300 feet from buildings of land owner of land your on, not abutters of land even if closer than 300 feet 15 feet from roads
    all this I got from fish and game, but be nice and warn or ask anyone close and use common sence

I live in a farming area peppered with small towns all over. Twenty years ago there was just one range to shoot at in the next county. It was about 25 miles (round trip) away and they had the super bogus No Rapid Fire rule. No problemo...I shot at gravel pits FREE and rapid fire all I wanted. Now it's all neighborhoods or the roads are gated and locked. The only other range available is about 45-50 miles round trip and they also have the 'No Rapid Fire' Rule. Plus the range fee is around $15+$5 of targets and gas it's kinda pricey for me.

The last decent place I would go shoot at is DNR land that was setup as an Off Road Riding Area. There was a mutual understanding with the off roaders who had a vast area for their activity while the shooters used a small area. In all the years I went there I never heard of an accidental shooting with the off roaders. Unfortunately for me my specific spot was gated and locked for logging and was never reopened for shooters or the quad folks.

Once when I was done shooting I was picking up and bagging my spent shells and ripped up targets when a DNR truck rolled up. He wanted to know what I was doing. I politely told him I always police up my range before I leave so that DNR would not lock the shooters out. He thanked me but we were locked out all the same a few years later.

If the balloon goes up in my lifetime there will be plenty opportunity to get in some range practice at that time.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by mominy23 View Post
    any public land unless posted any private land with permission land must not be" compact area"
    300 feet from buildings of land owner of land your on, not abutters of land even if closer than 300 feet 15 feet from roads
    all this I got from fish and game, but be nice and warn or ask anyone close and use common sence
    This, but to add to that make sure. I went to some public land that people hunt on. I mean common sense if you can hunt and trap you can discharge firearms in other forms. So I go walking around with everything and find a nice embankment to use as a back stop and set up my targets. I finish up about two hours later and go back to my car. On my window is a card from my local PD telling me to give them a call. I called and the officer informed me I can't target shoot there and that if I do it again I'll be subject to whatever the penalty is (I forget what it is btw). I asked him how does that make any sense if you can hunt and trap there why can't you target shoot. He had no answers and said to call fish and game who make the rules on that. Fish and game told me because people don't pick up after themselves so target shooting isn't allowed (as I'm sitting next to my garbage bag of spent casings and shredded targets). I asked where that rule is stated because it sure isn't posted. so he directs me to their website that says that no firearms may be discharged unless its for hunting or trapping. Talk about annoying right? Anyway I ask him if there is any land in NH that I can target shoot on and he said no. All land owned by NH is under the same rules. So unless you are lucky enough to know someone with land (I happen to have gotten luck thank goodness) than you must suffer the pain in the neck that is the public gun range.

Links