.380 talk vs. others - Page 2

.380 talk vs. others

This is a discussion on .380 talk vs. others within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My answer is “others”. Why getting a .380 if nowadays you can find very small 9mm? The .380 cartridge is hard to find, expensive and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GM
    My answer is “others”. Why getting a .380 if nowadays you can find very small 9mm? The .380 cartridge is hard to find, expensive and underpowered; then why a .380?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    My answer is “others”. Why getting a .380 if nowadays you can find very small 9mm? The .380 cartridge is hard to find, expensive and underpowered; then why a .380?
    For me, it was a simple decision. I have a Kahr PM9, which is one of the smaller and lighter 9mm guns around. IMO, it's not a pocket gun. It simply is too large for the jeans that I normally wear. The Kahr P380 is perfect for pocket carry since it is smaller.

I have no illusions that the 9mm is a much better round, but in certain situations, I'd rather have a .380ACP than nothing at all. I load it with Speer Gold Dots and hope for the best.

I think the main problem is that I dress the way I want and carry the gun to fit my clothing choice. Most people here do it the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    For me, it was a simple decision. I have a Kahr PM9, which is one of the smaller and lighter 9mm guns around. IMO, it's not a pocket gun. It simply is too large for the jeans that I normally wear. The Kahr P380 is perfect for pocket carry since it is smaller.

I have no illusions that the 9mm is a much better round, but in certain situations, I'd rather have a .380ACP than nothing at all. I load it with Speer Gold Dots and hope for the best.

I think the main problem is that I dress the way I want and carry the gun to fit my clothing choice. Most people here do it the other way around.
    I agree 100%....except I went out and bought a Rohrbaugh so it would fit in the jeans that I normally wear.
    To answer your question over 1,000 rounds of 380 through my LCP and P380 No malfunctions of any kind
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

The only real issue with the .380 caliber is penetration, and that is easily solved by using good ol' fashioned FMJ bullets.

I like the LCP enough to have two - one for me and one for the Mrs. With the pinky extension and CT Laserguard, it is easy to keep several magazine's worth of bullets touching at 7-10 yards. The gun is accurate enough.

There are small 9mm out there, but the only one the same size as the LCP, P3at and TCP is the Rohrbagh R9 - which is heavier and waaay more expensive. The 9mm is better than a .380 - but not 3 x better. My last LCP was only $289 locally.

Much as I love my Glocks, I find myself reaching for the little LCP more and more. With two extra mags, I'm confident enough in the little gun.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Last year, my first-ever .380s were a Ruger LCP and a Bersa Thunder; my bad-companion gun buddy showed off and said "Let's get both!", since we couldn't decided between them and he has been competing with me. They are for close range, to shoot hollow-point .380s into the guts, nuts and face.

Depends on the person. They aren't for everyone.

Some dislike the caliber, believing them insufficient to get the job done. Some dislike the puny, "mouse gun" size, instead preferring a more-substantial gun, or a gun that fills the hand better. In situations where closer-fitting clothing does not allow a larger firearm, though, I find that a small .380 pistol can fill the niche where little else does. For me, the .380 is a good backup addition to my primary 9mm semi-autos.

Kahr P380 .380ACP

Recently, I picked up a Kahr P380 .380ACP. It has only been to the range once and has swallowed 110rds so far: 50 American Eagle FMJ ball 95gr; and 60 MagTech First Defense JHP 77gr. Still in the break-in phase, everything is very stiff, but the MagTechs are almost perfectly reliable, very accurate. In another 500rds, we'll see how it's doing.

It is light, noticeably thinner and smaller than Kahr's PM9 9mm big brother. It is 4-7/8" long, 3-7/8" tall and 7/8" wide, weighing in at 10oz. Mine shoots about 3" to the right, at 5yds, out of the box, but that's easily adjusted. Groupings of 1.5" to 2.0" are common at 5yds, for me, though at this point I am still just sending ammo through in order to break in the gun.

For my money, the PM series of pistols from Kahr are simply the best format going. My original PM9 was a tad flaky, until it had seen the Kahr shop. It's too early to tell with the P380, yet, though I am hopeful. Currently, it's riding in a Pocket Defender Plus holster, from K&D.

I have also carried a NAA .380 Guardian from time to time. Heavy, and mine had extremely stiff slide/receiver operation until I got it polished and smoothed out. Now, it is nice. If the Kahr P380 turns out well, the NAA will likely get sold. Reliable, and easy to shoot, but it's twice the weight of the fully loaded P380 with dual mags and holster.

Anything larger, then I will simply go up to 9mm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links