.380 talk vs. others

This is a discussion on .380 talk vs. others within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; what is everybody thoughts on .380 pistols...Small I know, but how reliable???...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .380 talk vs. others

Cool .380 talk vs. others

what is everybody thoughts on .380 pistols...Small I know, but how reliable???

2. Remove Ads

There is a lot of opponions about the 380acp.

My P3AT is 100% and loaded with HP ammo gives good defense performance.

Some love 380 and some hate 380, I for one like it and trust it but I know that if thing really get bad in these good old United States I will up gun and up caliber also.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I agree, some like it, others hate it. Lots of bodies buried six feet in the ground having been shot by a .380. I consider it an up close and personal defensive round. A gut shooter. That's why I carry the Ruger LCP pocket 380.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Really can't beat the size. I have a Kahr P380 and it really goes anywhere, the chances are I'm never going to need it but I feel pretty confident in the 380 round. It's a step up from what I used to carry which was a Kel Tec P32. The Kahr is alot easier to carry than lugging my CZ Rami (which is a sub compact but weights a ton) around.

I owed a Walther PP 30 years ago and let it get away from me. I've had a Kel Tec P3AT for 5 years now.

.380 ACP is uninspiring in my view. The older blow back pistols I've fired seemed to have a lot of recoil for the puniness of the round. The P3AT actually is more comfortable to shoot. In my opinion it is not "almost as good as a .38 Special" despite some claims to the contrary. It is the best round going in the really small automatics.

I do my best to leave it behind in favor of something more potent and more shoot-able.

I've got a Beretta Cheetah in .380 ACP that has never jammed in my hands. My sister jammed it once, but she had never fired a pistol before so that's hardly conclusive. I think it's a fun little gun, and it's been very reliable thus far. Only bad things to say about it are the fact that it has a magazine safety and slide safety (neither of which belong on a DA/SA defensive pistol IMO). They're supposed to be about 70% effective with the best loads, about the same as a standard pressure .38 special, so if that sounds good to you then go with it. You could certainly do a lot worse.

Count me in

The .380 I have is a beautiful piece of artistry. I love the way it looks, feels, handles. It's also very well balanced and I love to shoot it, BUT, there just isn't any ammo available.
    It's easily concealable for me which is big for me. I'm only 5'9" 150lbs so trying to conceal my Glock 19, 9mm, double stack isn't easy except in winter when I can wear a leather coat.
    Jack
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Quote Originally Posted by brian2070 View Post
    what is everybody thoughts on .380 pistols...Small I know, but how reliable???
    Well, that's a two part question actually. My thoughts on the .380 cartridge? Reliability? Well, it can be a two part answer then. I think the cartridge has come a long way in the past ten years as for PD offerings. If it's your choice for carry caliber, then I really have no right to interfere nor sway anyone into thinking otherwise. We all make due with what we have and that's a fact. I had a Mauser HSc in 9mm kurtz (.380) at one time. In a way, I wish I still had it, but what's done is done. These days, I don't look at the .380 as a viable carry alternative for reasons I can carry a 9mm or 40cal in the same size effectively....and be more effective. You know I don't bash anyone's caliber nor brand choice for CC since any choice to CC demands a respect of it's own. Downing one on their choice of caliber is just as bad as downing one on their choice of brand name pistols........it just shouldn't happen. Although sometimes we look to places to educate us better in our choices, it's sometimes difficult to filter out the subjective from the objective, and either way, they're just simple opinions with some links to sites or tests, or manufacturer's portrayals or something else that either boosts, or dispels those claims. What I can tell you from my experiences is that if I had to carry a .380auto and depended on it, it would probably be a SIG. I've had experience with both......the cartridge, and the pistols. As with any choice of caliber, the pistol comes first.....you've got to be sure the message gets delivered before you can assess it's effectiveness. Always do your best with what you have at the time, and most times that will be more than enough to keep you on top. You see....that's a two part theory as well.

I like the 380 as a round. I dont like the 380 philosophy that has been adopted. Such as if it says 380 on it then it has to be bought immediately even if there is no ammo available.

Also, the term 380 is now synonymous with tiny pocket guns like the LCP. The Beretta 84 which is 100 times the gun that an LCP is and it has been around a whole lot longer. The average person shopping for a "380" has no idea what a Beretta 84 is and if you told them about this Beretta 84 they would think it is a gun that could fit in your jeans pocket.

And finally, I dont like that no matter how many options there are out there, there seems to be this notion that the pocket 380s are Gods gift to CCW. They are not perfect but the gun community has led us to believe that there is no better option.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The .380 is a good cartridge with a long history. Like anything else, it has its limits, both in quality of the firearm and ammo.

The .380 was the carry caliber of choice of LEOs for years in Europe, and it sure managed. It has adequate power for most cases, but then no cartridge is for all cases.

A good pistol in .380 with good ammo will peform fine and there's no reason not to carry one.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Wow..., You guys are great...Thanks !! I also own a glock, and never have had a miss fire. I just want to be cofident with a smaller weapon as I am with my 26....GLOCKS ALWAYS FIRE AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY...
    P.S.Just hard to change

Quote Originally Posted by earlthegoat2 View Post
    I like the 380 as a round. I dont like the 380 philosophy that has been adopted. Such as if it says 380 on it then it has to be bought immediately even if there is no ammo available.

Also, the term 380 is now synonymous with tiny pocket guns like the LCP. The Beretta 84 which is 100 times the gun that an LCP is and it has been around a whole lot longer. The average person shopping for a "380" has no idea what a Beretta 84 is and if you told them about this Beretta 84 they would think it is a gun that could fit in your jeans pocket.

And finally, I dont like that no matter how many options there are out there, there seems to be this notion that the pocket 380s are Gods gift to CCW. They are not perfect but the gun community has led us to believe that there is no better option.

That's what I'm talking about. I really like my little Beretta.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2070 View Post
    Wow..., You guys are great...Thanks !! I also own a glock, and never have had a miss fire. I just want to be cofident with a smaller weapon as I am with my 26....GLOCKS ALWAYS FIRE AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY...
    P.S.Just hard to change
    If the Glock G28 (sub-compact .380) were available in the states for sale, I think Glock would seal the deal on sales forever. Now is too late IMO....the current availability of ammo in the cartridge has sort of screwed things up there now if there ever was a possibility. Just my 2¢ Then again...for the same size pistol.......why not the 9mm?

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, that's a two part question actually. My thoughts on the .380 cartridge? Reliability? Well, it can be a two part answer then. I think the cartridge has come a long way in the past ten years as for PD offerings. If it's your choice for carry caliber, then I really have no right to interfere nor sway anyone into thinking otherwise. We all make due with what we have and that's a fact. I had a Mauser HSc in 9mm kurtz (.380) at one time. In a way, I wish I still had it, but what's done is done. These days, I don't look at the .380 as a viable carry alternative for reasons I can carry a 9mm or 40cal in the same size effectively....and be more effective. You know I don't bash anyone's caliber nor brand choice for CC since any choice to CC demands a respect of it's own. Downing one on their choice of caliber is just as bad as downing one on their choice of brand name pistols........it just shouldn't happen. Although sometimes we look to places to educate us better in our choices, it's sometimes difficult to filter out the subjective from the objective, and either way, they're just simple opinions with some links to sites or tests, or manufacturer's portrayals or something else that either boosts, or dispels those claims. What I can tell you from my experiences is that if I had to carry a .380auto and depended on it, it would probably be a SIG. I've had experience with both......the cartridge, and the pistols. As with any choice of caliber, the pistol comes first.....you've got to be sure the message gets delivered before you can assess it's effectiveness. Always do your best with what you have at the time, and most times that will be more than enough to keep you on top. You see....that's a two part theory as well.
    Very eloquently put, could not have said it better
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

This has been gone over several times lately

is .380 enough

Mousegun rant

Mousegun poll
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links