Ever have a safe in a house fire?

This is a discussion on Ever have a safe in a house fire? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone here had the bad luck of having a house fire with guns in a safe? Was it fire rated? Was water damage an ...

Thread: Ever have a safe in a house fire?

Has anyone here had the bad luck of having a house fire with guns in a safe? Was it fire rated? Was water damage an issue? How long till you could get access to it?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Administrator
    I have not, but have had customers who have. The worst story was water and heat equals steam. Wood doesn't do well in a steamer.

I've also had a customer who's guns were untouched after a fire in his basement where is safe was. Different brands and construction techniques makes a big difference, as does the type of fire.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have not, but have had customers who have. The worst story was water and heat equals steam. Wood doesn't do well in a steamer.

I've also had a customer who's guns were untouched after a fire in his basement where is safe was. Different brands and construction techniques makes a big difference, as does the type of fire.

That is interesting. Would you be able to name any brands or models of gun safes that stand above the others in terms of protecting guns during some disaster?

Administrator
    Yeah. I wouldn't buy a safe with a wrapped door, solid panel only. I wouldn't buy one with exterior hinges. I would insist on lock pins on all four sides of the door and I want one that is guaranteed water tight. I want glass lockers and a UL listing.

Brands names...most are junk. But I'm not going to get sucked into another argument with people justifying there purchases. Shop wisely, you'll find the best rather easily.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Has anyone here had the bad luck of having a house fire with guns in a safe? Was it fire rated? Was water damage an issue? How long till you could get access to it?
    Actually I have recently. I will likely start a thread about it when I have time, plus complete all of my insurance obligations.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My inlaws lost their house in one of the big SoCal fires a few years back. Not a drop of water was ever put on their house due to lack of resources. So the whole house burned. They had a safe. The safe survived but it got so damn hot that everything inside it melted.

Glock polymers are tough, but they were not engineered for that. It was like Glock soup. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Actually I have recently. I will likely start a thread about it when I have time, plus complete all of my insurance obligations.
    Thank, you, I'm looking for first hand experience, sorry you're the guy.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Thru my research..I have found a lot of the Browning models to be very well built...but you may find others.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Older model AmSec's have solid door, internal hinges, lock pins on all sides, and seals on the door. UL rated for both fire and water. That is not by any means a guarantee since ratings are for specified temps and durations, but does buy you some time and at least a chance. If it gets hot enough for long enough, everything will be toast.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links