Texas Property Laws

Texas Property Laws

This is a discussion on Texas Property Laws within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I as reading something recently and it as a bit confusing. Mod's, please let me know if this thread is in the wrong spot, I ...

Thread: Texas Property Laws

Texas Property Laws

I as reading something recently and it as a bit confusing. Mod's, please let me know if this thread is in the wrong spot, I figured it was the best place for it.

Does anyone know what the deal is on shooting on private property in Texas or what the parameters are? Ive heard as a rule of thumb if its privately owned and over 10 acres your good to go. There was also a list of stipulations as to what coulc be adjacent, schools, public parks, etc...

Anyone have any info on this?

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

I'm not sure on the acreage, but I think it was supposed to be around 50 acres someone will come along and correct me on this. And here in Alvin, TX you also have to be out of the city limits, to discharge a firearm.

I am not aware of any acreage restriction, unless you plan to have a bonified shooting range. I shoot regularly on 8 acres outside of city limits. The bullets must end up on your own property,they cannot cross the fence/property line or any public road.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    you also have to be out of the city limits, to discharge a firearm.
    dont know about the size of land but you are responsable for where that round goes.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

VIP Member
    I checked on this recently and it is 50 acres. Of course if you are out in a rural area with nothing around no one will care.

Frankly I think the acre limitation is ridiculous. What should count is the terrain, the backdrop/backstop, what is in back of that, and the proximity of other dwellings.

I can easily see a situation where 50 acres would not produce a safe place to shoot and 10 would.

I think there is also a distinction between shotgun and rifle (pistol included) as far as the limitation and I seem to recall a 10 acre limit on shotgun use-- makes some sense.

The statute ordinarily does not apply to rural land in Texas, unless it is part of a city or within certain city extra-territorial juristiction.

§ 229.002. Regulation of Discharge of Weapon

A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or
    (2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of Search Term Begin 50 acres Search Term End or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

§ 229.003. Regulation of Discharge of Weapon by Certain Municipalities

(a) This section applies only to a municipality located wholly or partly in a county:

(1) with a population of 450,000 or more;

(2) in which all or part of a municipality with a population of one million or more is located; and

(3) that is located adjacent to a county with a population of two million or more.

(b) Notwithstanding Section 229.002, a municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and:

(i) more than 1,000 feet from:
    (a) the property line of a public tract of land, generally accessible by the public, that is routinely used for organized sporting or recreational activities or that has permanent recreational facilities or equipment; and

(b) the property line of a school, hospital, or commercial day-care facility

(ii) more than 600 feet from:

(a) the property line of a residential subdivision; and

(b) the property line of a multifamily residential complex; and

(iii) more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract;

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of Search Term Begin 50 acres Search Term End or more and:

(i) more than 1,000 feet from:

(a) the property line of a public tract of land, generally accessible by the public, that is routinely used for organized sporting or recreational activities or that has permanent recreational facilities or equipment; and

(b) the property line of a school, hospital, or commercial day-care facility;

(ii) more than 600 feet from:

(a) the property line of a residential subdivision; and

(b) the property line of a multifamily residential complex; and

(iii) more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(3) discharged at a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of a tract of land.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Some Statutes of Interest to Texas Gun Owners by Donald Burger, Houston, TX has many references for the Texas statutes regarding discharge of firearms, unfortunately they are not hyperlinks.

Thanks guys!

That gives me a pretty good place to start.

The reason this came up is someone mentioned to me they thougth you could shoot if you had more than ten acres, even if you where annexed into a city after a certain date.

I had never thought much about it but we live on 33 acres that was annexed into the city after 1981. And we seem to meet the other requirments, not near a subdivision, etc, etc...Lots of digging to do still be so far it looks like it might be possible. Still not sure if that includes rifle and pistol though.

We also work very closely with our local police with our scout troop, I could probably get some clarification from them as well.

Alex!
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Links