Kel-Tec PF-9: Any Caveats?

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF-9: Any Caveats? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Stumbled up on a lightly used PF-9 (S/N RJ6XX) this morning for $225.00 out the door. Gun looks very good but needs cleaning. Came with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PF-9: Any Caveats?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Kel-Tec PF-9: Any Caveats?

Stumbled up on a lightly used PF-9 (S/N RJ6XX) this morning for $225.00 out the door. Gun looks very good but needs cleaning. Came with the manual, hard case and lock but missing the lock tool.

Since it was a spur-of-the-moment purchase, I did not have time to do any research. However what research I did do, after the fact, seems to not turn up any serious issues other than the normal ones associated with small guns (minor FTE, FTC or ammo sensitivity issues) that time seems to cure.

So, is there anything I need to watch out for or gotcha's?

Thanks in advance,

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I beleive that the kel tec warranty is only good for original owners.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Exclamation My 2 cents...

Got both a PF-9 and a P32...both are very reliable. I suggest you visit this site for more details:

KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    I beleive that the kel tec warranty is only good for original owners.
    That's how they word it but from what I've seen that's not how they do it. They seem to take care of everyone. My only drawbacks with the gun are lack of night sight option, and very snappy recoil which is to be expected on such a light gun. It is a absolute pleasure to carry.

watch out for rusting/pitting on the slide. the PF9 is meant as a deep concealment piece; the littlest bit of sweat will eat up the slide. my brpthger bought one, and he wore it to work. by the end of the day, it looked like a bad penny. Keltec took care of him, though. he called and complained; they had him send the slide to them, and they sent him a whole new slide. the new one had no problems with the finish.

the pf9 is a great gun. I carried one everyday for over a year. I have over 1000 rounds through it and have not had any problems exept for a few brands of ammo it didn't like to much, lawman ammo would jam every once in a while. I shoot some really cheap Hungarian ball ammo through it all the time and it never once has had a ftf or fte. when it's not at the range it's filled with federal 147gr HP's, I carry it still quite a bit during t-shirt weather since I'm pretty small and it gets tricky hiding a .357 mag.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER13 View Post
    Got both a PF-9 and a P32...both are very reliable. I suggest you visit this site for more details:

KTOG.Org - Kel-Tec Owners Group
    +1...
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Great pistol, love mine.

I have a p11 as a bug not a range gun for sure but a great sd firearm.

Only issue was FTL with some 147g HP self defense loads, a little polishing of the feed ramp and it was great. I got a leather pocket holster and use it for deep cover carry. NOT a range gun, snappy recoil and it beats up your hand, but you won't care if you need it.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

It's got kick but if you get a Hogue handall Jr. slip on grip it doesn't cut into your hand at all and I actually enjoy shooting it now for extended periods.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Only issue was FTL with some 147g HP self defense loads, a little polishing of the feed ramp and it was great. I got a leather pocket holster and use it for deep cover carry. NOT a range gun, snappy recoil and it beats up your hand, but you won't care if you need it.
    i forgot to menton the ammo thing. my brother's didn't like 147g. of any brand; otherwise, it ate up everything else it was fed.

I love my PF9. I had a few ftf's and fte's until the gun was broken in but since I've been using 115gr. critical defense ammo by Hornady, I've had no problems and the recoil was cut way down. It's still not a range gun. It was made for SD and does the job very well. High Noon Holsters makes a very reasonably priced Mr. Softy that carries the PF9 nicely.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

For you guys that polished the feed ramp what kind of head did you use on the dremel to do it?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Thank you all so much for the input. I have found DC to be the "go to" place for solid information and it has yet to fail me.

Not sure if I'll carry the pistol or not - I really like my 637 and LCP for daily carry, depending on the environment I will be in for a given day but for the price I got the PF-9 for, I could not pass it up.

It may turn into a trade piece for a 442 (which is what I want) but who knows. I just wanted to make sure I did not buy a piece of junk.

Again, thanks all, much appreciated.

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links