I want to build a 1911

This is a discussion on I want to build a 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For the last few years I've kicked around the idea of building a custom Commander sized 1911. I have no more gunsmith training than any ...

Thread: I want to build a 1911

I want to build a 1911

For the last few years I've kicked around the idea of building a custom Commander sized 1911. I have no more gunsmith training than any other 1911 owner. What I need is for builders to chime in and let me know how it worked out for you. I don't want to buy junk parts and end up with a doorstop. Information on parts sources and cost involved will be great. I know there are hundreds of variables but we can be specific later. I've done some research but alot of the articles online are out of date.

If you tried your own build and it didn't work out please chime in. Also, if you feel the need to try to talk me out of it then that's valuable advice too.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

I just got finished building one. I bought a stripped frame and slide by STI from brownells, fit the slide myself. I used a cylinder and slide trigger pull kit for most of the internals. On the money side it cost me on the order of about 900 bucks since I really didn't skimp on anything. Brownells is the single best place for parts they have a wide selection of pretty much any component. You can pretty much do all the work yourself with hand tools, and patience. It would not hurt to buddy up with a local gunsmith that would be willing to give advice.

The single greatest piece of advice is to think before your start fitting and filing. It can be way too easy to ruin a $100+ part.

I say do it, its the greatest way to become very familiar with the mechanics of how 1911s (and guns in general) work.

Feel free to ask my any questions you might have.

Here's the link to the thread about my gun:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ew-1911-a.html
    Kimber Pro Carry II
    SIG Sauer P229, 238, Mosquito
    Beretta 92FS
    Custom STI 1911
    Glock 17 Gen 3
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I won't try and talk you out of it, it is the greatest experience you can have with a firearm. There are many places to get parts. Plan on spending as much or more than you would for a new factory built gun.

Since I'm not sure about your mechanical skill's I'll suggest going to Fusion Firearms and getting a prefit kit. It has the frame, Slide and barrel prefit in the white. A lot of the fiddlely details are already handled for you, the price's run around $695 on gunbroker.

Brownell's is an excellent source for parts if you want to get them from someone other than fusion.

Check the m1911 forum for techincal info and The gunsmithing section is excellent help if you get hung up.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Administrator
    Brownell's - Call and ask for their 1911 catalog. It's Free.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

go to Ed Brown's website and get his cd on building a 1911. Lots of great info to help do it right the first time.

I did it and it was a fun project. I bought an Essex frame from Brownells and bobtailed the grip. Once that turned out well, I bought the rest of the parts. Ended up with a Fusion slide & barrel in 10mm, Commander length. The internals were a bunch of stuff a friend gave me for a project he abandoned...mostly Ed Brown, Wilson, and Chip McCormick stuff. I spent about $1200...but that includes 2 barrels as I got carried away with the feed ramp on the first one. It runs about 98% reliably with Mec Gar magazines. I use it as a range toy.

i did several back in the 80's. i was building "race" guns for matches. not hard to do. back then you could get all the parts for a build at the guns shows. and there were only one or two places to get the "race" gun parts. not to day. go to a 1911 site and you will find all the information on how to do it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks for all the great information guys. I'll be taking the plunge as soon as Uncle Sam sends me my tax refund. I'm looking at either Fosters or Fusion.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Links