Republic Arms RAP 440 FTF-HELP!

This is a discussion on Republic Arms RAP 440 FTF-HELP! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently purchased this handgun. I loved it. I have shot probably 500 rounds through it with no issues whatsoever. On my last trip to ...

Thread: Republic Arms RAP 440 FTF-HELP!

I recently purchased this handgun. I loved it. I have shot probably 500 rounds through it with no issues whatsoever. On my last trip to the range, all of a sudden it would not feed. The bullet hit the bottom of the ramp and wedged itself there. I was able un-jamb it, I changed clips, and loaded another brand of ammo. Same result. the bullet hit the bottom of the feed ramp and would not load. I just got through with a thorough break down and clean/lube. Polished up the ramp, and put it together. I loaded a clip, tried to cycle a round, and it did the same thing once again. Any idea's on what could be happening here? Thanks for any help offered.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
    Republic Arms R.A.P. 440-Ruger SP101-Kel-Tec P3AT
    Member GOA, NRA and USCCA

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds like a problem with your magazines. Make sure your follower is moving freely and not binding. If you had your magazine dis-assembled prior to the problems make sure you didn't reverse the spring on re-assembly. Does it do it with all magazines or 1 in particular? Might also check to make sure magazine is seated fully in the gun, if not the bullet will contact the bottom of the feed ramp.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have two clips. One that came with the handgun, and another I purchased online. The second clip is for an Astra-75. Which from what I understand the RAP 440 is a clone of. I took the clips apart and put them back together. It started to feed a little better, but I still encountered FTF. I noticed that when there was only 3 rounds in the clip it loaded like a champ. No issues whatsoever.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
    Republic Arms R.A.P. 440-Ruger SP101-Kel-Tec P3AT
    Member GOA, NRA and USCCA

VIP Member
    It's possible it is time to replace the magazine springs. Not that expensive to do.

Springs for ASTRA A-70, A-75 Semi-Auto Pistols
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hello jonahex,

I think I have talked to you before about your RAP, as I have the 401 9mm version. I've had some of the same issues the last time I shot mine after more than 100 rounds. I put a new 15lb recoil spring in it, but have not shot it since. I too think the problem is with your mags, but would also change out the recoil spring along with the mag springs. Many use furniture polish on their mags to keep them running smooth.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Links