Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

This is a discussion on Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like you were bamboozled. . . Get married,(do not know where you are originally from), settle in Utah, and one baby, and one on ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

VIP Member
    Sounds like you were bamboozled.
    Get married,(do not know where you are originally from), settle in Utah, and one baby, and one on the way, and you are "doing what the Mrs. wants.
    are your parents in Utah? What caused you to live in Utah, and have you proposed the thought of her parents Migrating to Utah if they are retired??
    Sounds like you been bamboozled.JMHO

Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what? Hey! Where are ya going?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

So a little history so you guys can kinda understand my position better. My wife is originally from Illinois and I am originally from Utah. We met about a year and a half ago at my brothers wedding, she was a bridesmaid and I was a groomsman. We lived with a long distance relationship for close to a year only seeing eachother every couple months when one would fly to visit the other until we got married last august and moved her to Utah. Fast forward and she isn't happy here because she stays home all day tending our son and my niece for my sister while I'm at work and doesn't get out much because we can't afford it, I'm a mechanic and my paychecks go towards rent, food and bills so not a lot of disposable income.

We have talked about moving to be closer to the family she has here in Utah and we were planning to at the end of the month as our lease expires on the 28th but that's not going to happen now as she is planning to move by the end of the month.

Thanks for the advice everyone it is greatly appreciated

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy07 View Post
    So a little history so you guys can kinda understand my position better. My wife is originally from Illinois and I am originally from Utah. We met about a year and a half ago at my brothers wedding, she was a bridesmaid and I was a groomsman. We lived with a long distance relationship for close to a year only seeing eachother every couple months when one would fly to visit the other until we got married last august and moved her to Utah. Fast forward and she isn't happy here because she stays home all day tending our son and my niece for my sister while I'm at work and doesn't get out much because we can't afford it, I'm a mechanic and my paychecks go towards rent, food and bills so not a lot of disposable income.

We have talked about moving to be closer to the family she has here in Utah and we were planning to at the end of the month as our lease expires on the 28th but that's not going to happen now as she is planning to move by the end of the month.

Thanks for the advice everyone it is greatly appreciated
    Have you 2 set down and talked this through? You said earlier she wanted to get her old job back. Has she contacted her old employer and been told the job is available if she returns? Do you have any work lined up in the area your looking to move to? Where will you live until you both have jobs? What will you do for money to live on until you and her have jobs? What is the cost of living in the area you'll be going to versus the cost of living where your at?

While I understand she may be home sick, she has to be realistic and realize you and the children are her family and priority now. Not mom and dad and her old friends.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I believe she has spoken with her old boss and she can work there again and the plan, as of right now, is that she is goin. Move there first, and live with her parents, and save some money while I stay behind and do the same for a couple months so I can find work and save so I can pay for the moving truck and such and for a place when we find it. I have told her that I refuse to live with her parents, we get along fine I just don't want to feel like I'm mooching of them, I can be quite stubborn with some things.
    The biggest thing I'm worried about is that finding a job I think is going to be a real pain as I'm not going to be able to go in for an interview so I'm afraid that may hurt my chances as well as what positions I do find available may require someone to start immediately.
    Again thanks for the advise everyone it means a lot

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, that is a pretty respectable position to take, I can't argue with that. I don't know much about IL law, and I'll be the first to tell you I hate all things Chicago, but there has to be a silver lining some where.
    There are a lot of interesting areas to live...and guns are not everything in life.
    I 2nd this motion, family has to come first in my book. I'm just lucky my wife is from Missouri and if we have to leave Texas, Missouri is ok with me.

"Guns are not everything in life" Amen to that Sixto.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

kpw
    So you two are married with children, settled in Utah and she's going to move with or without you? I sincerely wish you the best of luck in the future. I'm afraid you might need it.
    91wm6 likes this.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I sincerely hope you both get jobs and get free daycare for your kids, because I used to live not far from where you are talking about, and it is a lot more expensive than just about anywhere in Utah (except maybe Park City).

You cannot conceal carry anywhere in IL unless you are a cop or an elected official. A resident of IL needs a FOID to purchase or own guns or ammo.

Don't get me wrong, I used to live in the suburbs and really liked it. Great food, great people, sports, museums, zoos, concerts, you name it. But Chicago deserves the reputation it has for corruption in government and police. And the state government isn't squeaky clean either (3 out of the past 4 govenors have gone to prison or are under indictment).

If you have a job as a mechanic, you know how hard it is going to be to get another one in this economy, right? Especially with all the auto dealerships that have gone out of business.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

While I understand she may be home sick, she has to be realistic and realize you and the children are her family and priority now. Not mom and dad and her old friends.
    +1 to that...

It sounds like you guys haven't been married for very long. I'm right there with you. However, I learned really quickly that my responsibility was to ensure the safety of the family, whether she likes it or not. That includes everything from finances to CCing. And let me tell you, she isn't always happy...she isn't going to be...I don't plan on doing everything she says will make her happy...it usually won't for long. I focus on what's best for the family.

All things considered, it looks like you can get a job about anywhere in your line of work, but it wouldn't hurt to line up jobs for both you and her before you move. Other than the gun laws, Illinois isn't a bad place to live. I grew up in central Illinois and I'm still very fond of the area.

One thing to think about though, you are from a mountainous part of the country, and you're moving to the flattest place on the planet. It's so flat it's going to be disturbing for you at first.

Having very little to do with guns I just could not do it. I know this thread isn't about weather you should do it or not, sounds like you already made the decision. IL is such a terrible place to live even putting there gun laws aside. Politics, it's flat, boring, ugly, I could go on forever. The worst part is, your going to have to tell people you live in IL. You both need to make sacrifices but it sounds like only you are. I have traveled there quite a bit over the last decade and I can say I have not found a single thing that would keep me there any longer than I absolutely had to be.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    So you two are married with children, settled in Utah and she's going to move with or without you? I sincerely wish you the best of luck in the future. I'm afraid you might need it.
    X2. Good luck.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Politics, it's flat, boring, ugly, I could go on forever.
    Guess you haven't been thru much of IL. Take a trip thru the Galena area, western IL between the IL and Mississippi Rivers, or thru any part south of I-64. You won't find any flat, boring, ugly ground thru any of that.
    To the OP, if you deer hunt then IL has some of the biggest whitetails in the world. According to Buckmaster they predict the next record whitetail will come out of IL probably shot in the Pike or Brown Counties area. Below are some pictures of deer taken in IL which, altho big, weren't record. This past fall a 27 pt and a 32 pt were taken in southern IL. My cousin's kid shot a 22 pt that field dressed a bit over 300 lbs, was bought by Bass Pro and on display in one of their stores. It was a nice deer but not a record.
    Small game hunting is on the rebound. A few years ago a long, heavy winter and then heavy spring rains killed a lot of small game. Goose and duck hunting along the Mississippi Flyway are generally very good to outstanding but it depends a lot on when the water freezes up north to push them down. If the lakes in Canada don't freeze until late then the birds aren't pushed down until later in the season.
    If you're into pistol shooting comp the Masters is held every year at Barry, IL near Quincy. If into trap shooting the Nationals are held at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex at Sparta, IL. The Single Action national shoots are also held there as are several other type matches.
    Since you won't be living in Chicago IL gun laws really aren't that onerous as many think and repeat without knowing. IL doesn't have CCW and with the current legislative members it's not likely to pass anytime soon. But IL does not have firearm registration, no limit on the number or type of guns, or no mag limits.
    I've already given you the link to the FOID card and provided you with info concerning legally transporting in IL. If you can answer the questions on a 4473 then you can get a FOID card without problem.

183 FBINA

sorry ispcapt, you may have some big bucks but even the "nicest" part of IL is nothing compared to the freedom and beauty yu get just about anywhere else. That's just my opinion, you live there so I guess theirs some reason your still there, their has to be something you like so good for you, one mans trash is another treasure....
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

What moral wrong have you committed if you refuse to obey an unconstitutional, illegal law? Legally, you are on your own if you get caught; but ethically speaking liberty is an endowment of birth that is both self-evident and inalienable; or so our Founding Fathers wrote.

Why worry about gun confiscations, if we would surrender them so easily on our own?

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    sorry ispcapt, you may have some big bucks but even the "nicest" part of IL is nothing compared to the freedom and beauty yu get just about anywhere else. That's just my opinion, you live there so I guess theirs some reason your still there, their has to be something you like so good for you, one mans trash is another treasure....
    You don't even know the nicest parts of IL since you said it's all flat.
    Vermont is nice. Been there several times. In fact I've been all over the US and in every state except Alaska (on my list) quite a few times. Lived in some of those states too. Some have some really nice areas. Still nothing there I would trade for what I have here.
    What I have here is about 3500 acres of farm ground, no state taxes on my retirement, and 2 grandkids. I don't care where you are from, you haven't got anything close to that which I would want to trade for.
    183 FBINA

You can't even bring your "Rights" to IL. Get her a web camera and tell her to get over it. That is one dumb reason to move to a Communist state.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links