Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun? - Page 3

Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

This is a discussion on Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Remember if you have cc permit from Utah to keep it updated, it won't be good in Il., but it will be good in it ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

Remember if you have cc permit from Utah to keep it updated, it won't be good in Il., but it will be good in it a lot of states.
    "A man has a right to protect his property and his life"
    Robert Duvall
    Open Range

To the Quincy07:
    It sure is easy for some people to tell you how to live your life, particularly since you didn't ask for their opinion. People should mind their own business.

And for self defense I'll just have to leav the gun at home and find me a good folder and maybe some OC? I guess I'll have to research IL's knife laws
    OC is legal.
    IL does not have any restrictions on carrying any length of a knife. The only restriction is the intent for which the knife is being carried. IL law is specific in that reguard.
    Here's the IL statute concerning OC and knives. Note the important phrase "with intent to use the same unlawfully against another". If you are carrying any knife with the intent to use it unlawfully against another then it doesn't matter what length blade it is. The only impact blade length makes is if it is over 3" and used unlawfully against another then it ups the charge to "aggravated".

(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or
    (3) Carries on or about his person or in any vehicle, a tear gas gun projector or bomb or any object containing noxious liquid gas or substance, other than an object containing a non‑lethal noxious liquid gas or substance designed solely for personal defense carried by a person 18 years of age or older;
    183 FBINA

Thanks for the responses guys. IL and Chicago are nice to visit but I don't want to live there. I haven't been farther south than dupage county so I'm not familiar with the landscape and such of southern IL.

ispcapt- I have actually never been hunting, besides rabbit, but would love to go sometime ;-).

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    You don't even know the nicest parts of IL since you said it's all flat.
    Vermont is nice. Been there several times. In fact I've been all over the US and in every state except Alaska (on my list) quite a few times. Lived in some of those states too. Some have some really nice areas. Still nothing there I would trade for what I have here.
    What I have here is about 3500 acres of farm ground, no state taxes on my retirement, and 2 grandkids. I don't care where you are from, you haven't got anything close to that which I would want to trade for.
    Fair enough I don't want to get into a debate about what places are better, like I said your there for a reason. I have traveled all over the country and a good stretch of the world as well and lived in some nice places and some shoddy ones. I personally have never found a place I liked in IL but I have never lived there so you would surely know better than I. Those are some nice bucks in those pictures by the way
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 10th, 2010 at 09:33 AM.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I was born and raised in Chicago and moved to NW Indiana to afford my 1st house. Live along I80 and you could be in SW burbs in 30-45 minutes. My wife and I did it for many years. Munster and Dyer are nice towns. Just an option that gets you close to SW burbs and a shot at a LIFETIME CCW. YMMV. Good luck.

Oh yea if you do go to Il buy ammo and bring it with you.

I couldn't buy ammo at one store because I didn't have a FOID, no matter I was out of state and had a CCW. Stores are afraid of being shut down for violations.

Also don't mention CCW. At an outdoor store I had to go to the service desk to purchase ammo (to verify out of state license). She asked why I was buying 6 boxes of Golden Sabre. I said it was good carry ammo. She freaked and literally shrieked why do you carry a gun. Manager stepped in and moved her aside to finish the transaction. WOW just WOW. Last thing you need is a nut like this to call a cop. Be the grey man.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Actually downstate is flatter than the suburbs (I went to school in Champaign-Urbana and lived in Rockford, Downers Grove, Bolingbrook and Naperville). You get far enough west (near Iowa) or south (near Missouri), and yeah, you get hills. He's not going to be living anywhere near that far west or south. If you don't live near a major river in IL it is going to be flat.

To the OP: if you do end up living there, give me a PM and I can tell you where to shoot and get you into a private sportsmans' club, if you are interested.

Your life is going to 'suck' for a while...OMO
    You are going from UT to IL?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks autofan I'll for sure PM you when I get there. I'm prolly gonna be living in Bolingbrook, where my wife's fam lives, so it will be very helpful to have some insider info on where i can go shooting.

One thing kinda concerns me about the FOID card. I checked the link that ispcapt and it requires an IL drivers license or state ID number. If I had one of those numbers would I be considered a resident therefor making my possession of a firearm without the FOID card illegal? Even if I'm waiting for the application to be processed and whatnot?

I think that if a person just thinks about a gun in IL they are taken to jail...........no wait, that's Hawaii

Seriously, family first always, so I respect your decision.Once you are a resident, vote pro gun.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    I think that if a person just thinks about a gun in IL they are taken to jail...........no wait, that's Hawaii
    That's crazy talk. You know you're jealous of the state where you have to take a trip to the cops to get a permit to acquire every single pistol, wait two weeks, go back to the cops to pick up the permit, go to the gun store and get the gun, and then drive the gun right back to the cops (who already have the serial number from issuing you the permit) to register it. You also wish you could be required to take the NRA basic pistol course before you can buy any pistol, and to get a long gun permit that only lasts a year to buy rifles and shotguns, which must also be physically registered.

Suddenly Illinois seems like it wouldn't be THAT bad...

Quote Originally Posted by quincy07 View Post
    One thing kinda concerns me about the FOID card. I checked the link that ispcapt and it requires an IL drivers license or state ID number. If I had one of those numbers would I be considered a resident therefor making my possession of a firearm without the FOID card illegal? Even if I'm waiting for the application to be processed and whatnot?
    Once you establish your new address you can get an IL DL or ID card. There's nothing to say a person can't have 2 residences in different states. Once you get a permanent address in IL and get either the IL DL or ID card then you can complete the FOID card app.
    183 FBINA

Moving to Illinois, eh? Good luck.

My wife was raised in Springfield (the REAL capital) and lived in Chatham when we met. She has since moved to West Virginia after we married.

I know about going back to the Land of Lincoln for visits and dealing with Draconian firearms law, they are strict, but if you must go, I wish you all the best.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

When you do make the move, check out IllinoisCarry.com. It's an excellent site with very dedicated people working to bring Right to Carry to Illinois.

^^^ Thanks. I've seen that site before but haven't joined or anything so maybe I will and check it out a little more in depth. Nothing wrong with a head start right? Haha

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links