Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

This is a discussion on Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On a bright note it seems that IL has something of a castle law. I just read this on illinoiscarry.com in regards to Use of ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

On a bright note it seems that IL has something of a castle law. I just read this on illinoiscarry.com in regards to Use of force in defense of dwelling.

(b - In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this Section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or on behalf of any person acting within the definition of "aggressor" set forth in Section 7 4 of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.

So what I take from this is that should I have to use deadly force in a home invasion situation I would be immune from civil suits from the "aggressor" and/or their family? Am I correct in how I read that?

Note: Here is the IL law regarding use of lethal force in defense of dwelling. Again from illinoiscarry.com

However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:
    (1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent,
    riotous, or tumultuous manner, and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon, or offer of personal violence to, him or another then in the dwelling, or

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by quincy07 View Post
    So what I take from this is that should I have to use deadly force in a home invasion situation I would be immune from civil suits from the "aggressor" and/or their family? Am I correct in how I read that?
    There are no laws anywhere that make you immune to any suit. You can be sued for anything by anyone. All the laws do, like the one you referenced, is provide you a defense when you are sued. The other party will file a suit alleging you were either the aggressor or the injured party was not the aggressor but you acted improperly. As defense it will be your attorney's duty to provide your side of the case and that your actions merit protection under the referenced statute.

However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:
    (1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent,
    riotous, or tumultuous manner, and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon, or offer of personal violence to, him or another then in the dwelling, or
    It would be one of the forceable felonies where use of deadly force is justified.
    183 FBINA

Ok I'm not trying to sound brash or disrespectful here and I don't know you or your wife. However I dated a girl once and we were serious we lived together for 3 years,but lord this girl's mother just couldn't let go and vise versa.

We were both from RI but lived in Boston and my EX would just run for every little thing her mommy wanted,she never grasped the idea that as adults we let go of such things as we grow. In essence she never cut the cord and had to be in her home town so eventually she wanted us to move back and I said no.

I had a good job making great money at the time and wasn't giving that up. My parents,borthers and sisters lived in RI so its no like I had no ties there,I think this may be what's happening with you wife. She's homesick but the difference is my Ex and I were 21 and 22 weren't married and had no kids.

Again please don't misunderstand my comments I mean no disrespect to your wife or you I'm just saying be sure your wife wanting to go home to Illinois is for the right reasons. But as others have said you and your children are her family now good luck man and keep us posted.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I am resurrecting this thread to give an update, as requested. I moved to Illinois in June 2010 and got very lucky in finding a job that pays quite well after only a week of searching. My wife had my daughter in August '10 and we had another in July '12. We also bought a house in Bolingbrook last summer. I have gotten used to not being able to carry here but I do when we make our yearly trip back to Utah to visit my family.

Now for the really good news. My wife and I are planning to move back to Utah, hopefully this year. We are making a trip to Utah in May to visit and when we get back we are going to put our house on the market and will move as soon as it sells. Luckily we got a screaming deal on a foreclosure and put $30k in renovations to the house and have plenty of equity in the house to fund the move and have a nice down payment on a new place.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Not sure about the rest of the state but here is something on Chicago...

Chicago – Unlawful to possess switchblades. See, CHICAGO, ILL., MUNICIPAL CODE 8-24-020 (2005). Concealed carry of dirks, daggers, stilettos, bowie knives, “commando knives”, any knife with blade greater than two and a half inches, ordinary razors, and “other dangerous weapon[s]” prohibited. See, id. Unlawful for person under 18 years of age to carry or possess knife with blade two inches in length or longer. See, id. Carry on person or in vehicle passenger compartment of “utility knife” (e.g., box cutter) by person under 18 years of age prohibited. Certain exceptions apply. See, id. at 8-24-021. (Excerpted from Knife Laws of the Fifty States: A Guide for the Law-Abiding Traveler, page 48).
    Sounds like North Carolina knife laws, in fact very close to the same..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Now I just read your update. Congratulations all around!
    Last edited by SIGguy229; March 13th, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Glad your relocation went well, and hope your return to Utah goes equally well.

Thanks for the update.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Where are you moving to in Utah? We're in southern Utah, and there are a couple "northies" on here too.

We're looking into the West Valley area. I'm originally from Davis county just north of Salt Lake.

I wouldn't move to, go to or travel through IL for all the tea in China.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    What part of Illinois are you looking at? Is it possible to live in an adjoining state and still and make your wife happy? IN, KY, and MO are all gun friendly states that border IL. Just a possibility that might work out.

Don't know what kind of a grace period you have to register your guns and get a FOID, but if you contact the office of responsibility for issuing it they can tell you.

Check Handgunlaw.us for more information.
    Hey! What about Wisconsin??? We border Illinois too! And we're pretty gun friendly, all things considered!
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Why would you even consider moving to the people republic of illinoisazeckastan. Thats the closet thing to a third world commie country in the USA, except for NY.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

You can conceal carry in Illinois. Sort of...

http://heartlandtrainingteam.sharepo...rry%20Info.pdf

MJK
    Ispcapt has it right...as a former resident of IL I can attest to the acciracy of his post. Do not move into Chicago city limits.While the state is restrictive, Chicago is draconian!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I moved here for my wife because she wanted to be closer to her family. We are about 40 miles from Chicago in Will County and are planning a move back to Utah after my house sells.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links