Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

This is a discussion on Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well as the title says I am moving to Illinois because my wife misses her family and whatnot so I'm pretty much stuck with it ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

Moving to IL. Can I bring my handgun?

Well as the title says I am moving to Illinois because my wife misses her family and whatnot so I'm pretty much stuck with it and have to leave the great state of Utah.
    I know Illinois has some very bad gun laws and I know they require a Firearm Owners Identification Card just to buy ammo, and firearms of course. My quesion is can I bring my pistol with me and get an FOID card when I get there? I know I can't carry in public but I'd still like it for home defense.
    Also am I required to retreat in my own home in the case of an invasion or break in?
    Any help is very appreciated. Thanks for reading.

-Quincy

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What part of Illinois are you looking at? Is it possible to live in an adjoining state and still and make your wife happy? IN, KY, and MO are all gun friendly states that border IL. Just a possibility that might work out.

Don't know what kind of a grace period you have to register your guns and get a FOID, but if you contact the office of responsibility for issuing it they can tell you.

Check Handgunlaw.us for more information.

Section 1230.20 Application Procedures

Application for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card will be made by completing an application form provided by the Department. These forms will be made available through the Firearms Services Bureau, P.O. Box 3677, Springfield, Illinois 62708-3677. All forms must be properly completed, accompanied by the correct fee and a photograph, and mailed to the address indicated on the application form. Other than in regard to an applicant who is employed as an armed security officer at a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development facility regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and who is not an Illinois resident, any requirement for a driver’s license and any requirement for a driver’s license number shall mean an Illinois driver’s license and an Illinois driver’s license number. In regard to an applicant who is employed as an armed security officer at a nuclear energy, storage, weapons, or development facility regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and who is not an Illinois resident, any requirement for a driver’s license and any requirement for a driver’s license number shall mean his or her driver’s license number or state identification card number from his or her state of residence. All Firearm Owner’s Identification Cards issued shall remain the property of the Department.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I know this overly simplistic, but DONT DO IT. Don't move to someplace that is fundamentally different from your beliefs. Tell the wife NO.

Trust me, I live in cold Ky. when I should be in Florida now. Moved here so the wife could be close to her family. Cut the cord now before it is too late.

The area we are moving to is about 30 minutes southwest of Chicago, I think it's only about an hour or so from indiana but I my wife wants to go back to her old job and she'll have a reliable babysitter in her parents so I don't think she'd go for moving to indiana.

Maddyfish, I know what your saying and if it was just me and her I'd consider it but we have a boy and she's pregnant with our second child and I'm not going to be one of those fathers that never sees his children. So for my family's sake I will make the move

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy07 View Post
    Maddyfish, I know what your saying and if it was just me and her I'd consider it but we have a boy and she's pregnant with our second child and I'm not going to be one of those fathers that never sees his children. So for my family's sake I will make the move
    Well, that is a pretty respectable position to take, I can't argue with that. I don't know much about IL law, and I'll be the first to tell you I hate all things Chicago, but there has to be a silver lining some where.
    There are a lot of interesting areas to live...and guns are not everything in life.
    "Just blame Sixto"

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll be the first to tell you I hate all things Chicago, but there has to be a silver lining some where.
    There are a lot of interesting areas to live...and guns are not everything in life.
    Your right. Lots of good food, Bears games at Soldier Field and great whitetail hunting if you head south. I wouldn't move there but I've visited a few times.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quincy,

Verify this, though it seems legally sound. Until you're legally a resident of Illinois, you are not required to have a FOID card to possess a firearm. However, most States require you to get a new driver's license within 30 days or so. Once that is done, you will be considered a resident.

Make your wife a deal---If you move to Illinois, she will vote pro-gun until the day you leave Illinois. Maybe you can help get some of those crappy laws removed.

There is amazing food in Chicago and I'm sure I'll be seeing a few bears and white sox games too so that should be fun. And for self defense I'll just have to leav the gun at home and find me a good folder and maybe some OC? I guess I'll have to research IL's knife laws

My quesion is can I bring my pistol with me and get an FOID card when I get there?
    When youestablish your IL residence then apply for your FOID card. You can download the application on line and send it in if you already established your address which will speed up the application process. It's taking about 30 days now for issuance. FOID Card Application
    You can bring any firearms with you when you move.
    IL law does not have an AWB or any other type of firearm except full auto, no restrictions on mag size, no restrictions on the number of firearms you can buy, you do not have to get permission prior to buying any firearm nor tell anyone afterwards that you bought a firearm.
    To correct what another had posted - IL does not have registration of any firearms.

Also am I required to retreat in my own home in the case of an invasion or break in?
    There is no requirement in IL law to retreat from any forceable felony in order to protect yourself.
    183 FBINA

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Yeah, outside of Chicago area (cook county?) IL isn't nearly as bad as it could be for firearms.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy07 View Post
    There is amazing food in Chicago and I'm sure I'll be seeing a few bears and white sox games too so that should be fun. And for self defense I'll just have to leav the gun at home and find me a good folder and maybe some OC? I guess I'll have to research IL's knife laws
    Not sure about the rest of the state but here is something on Chicago...

Chicago – Unlawful to possess switchblades. See, CHICAGO, ILL., MUNICIPAL CODE § 8-24-020 (2005). Concealed carry of dirks, daggers, stilettos, bowie knives, “commando knives”, any knife with blade greater than two and a half inches, ordinary razors, and “other dangerous weapon[s]” prohibited. See, id. Unlawful for person under 18 years of age to carry or possess knife with blade two inches in length or longer. See, id. Carry on person or in vehicle passenger compartment of “utility knife” (e.g., box cutter) by person under 18 years of age prohibited. Certain exceptions apply. See, id. at § 8-24-021. (Excerpted from Knife Laws of the Fifty States: A Guide for the Law-Abiding Traveler, page 48).
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by ExHippie View Post
    Make your wife a deal---If you move to Illinois, she will vote pro-gun until the day you leave Illinois. Maybe you can help get some of those crappy laws removed.
    LOVE IT! Sounds like a great idea to me.
    Always try to turn a deal in your favor.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    When youestablish your IL residence then apply for your FOID card. You can download the application on line and send it in if you already established your address which will speed up the application process. It's taking about 30 days now for issuance. FOID Card Application
    You can bring any firearms with you when you move.
    IL law does not have an AWB or any other type of firearm except full auto, no restrictions on mag size, no restrictions on the number of firearms you can buy, you do not have to get permission prior to buying any firearm nor tell anyone afterwards that you bought a firearm.
    To correct what another had posted - IL does not have registration of any firearms.

There is no requirement in IL law to retreat from any forceable felony in order to protect yourself.
    +100.....follow this....(former resident of IL)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Here are some links that should help you. Of course, you will also want to check into the local laws for the city you move to.

Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links