Steel guide spring rod replacement?

This is a discussion on Steel guide spring rod replacement? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there any benefit in putting a steel guide spring rod in a Glock 26? If there is benefit, is it that significant?...

Thread: Steel guide spring rod replacement?

Is there any benefit in putting a steel guide spring rod in a Glock 26? If there is benefit, is it that significant?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I assume you're talking about just the rod. I don't shoot glock, but adding a steel guide rod will increase the weight in the forward end, which will somewhat aid in felt recoil and recoil management. It's not a part that takes a lot of abuse though, so you're not going to see any real durability benefits.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Levathain View Post
    Is there any benefit in putting a steel guide spring rod in a Glock 26? If there is benefit, is it that significant?
    G26.......short answer.....NO. The guide rod assemblies on the current sub-compact Glocks have been redesigned, and particularly with the sub-compact models (I've become more aware) that with current aftermarket offerings, and to keep your warranty (on new Glocks), I highly recommend sticking with the factory guide rod assembly specifically in the sub-compacts. Now...that's not to say I don't have a very good alternative in my G27......but, I don't seem to be able to find them anymore in current production. If you are not experienced with Glocks, don't mess with them from the factory. In my experience, I do separate the sub-compact Glocks from the rest of the models for very good and obvious reasons. Babies need to be babied......just like you shouldn't feed a puppy adult dog food. Now......on to more facts....the stock factory guide rod assembly is the best for the pistol........it has the necessary tolerances to where it will work after becoming buried in sand or dirt. Most aftermarket Glock guide rod replacements have very little tolerance since the OEM (factory) cannot be duplicated exactly under patents and such. Over the years, I have replaced most of my Glock guide rods with aftermarket ones for reasons of my own, and to this day, my full size models and compacts sport these guide rod assemblies as well as my four piece assembly in my G27. But........I'm an experienced user, and know what works as well as the factory original. I wouldn't say without a doubt that these surpass the factory originals in any way, as it's pretty much user defined. More recently, I've been able to test some more of the available aftermarket guide rod assemblies on the market for Glock pistols, and I've tried them, and voiced my opinions to the manufacturers and vendors of these items, and returned them. What you've got to realize is that most aftermarket companies, or vendors don't even care what they are selling so long as it sells. As with anything you buy, you....the end user..are responsible for it's use, and nobody else.
    My best recommendation here (and your ultimate safety is my concern)....stick with the factory guide rod assembly on the sub-compact Glock.....you can't second guess them on this one. If you do.....you're playing with fire, and if you're carrying a sub-compact Glock to save your life, then take my word for it.....don't mess with it!

no, not on the g26/27 guns. the factory one is good. for the others glocks it is hard to say. i have changed over one of my g23 and g19 with the steel guide rod/spring combo. and i kept a g23 with the factory plastic rod. i can not tell a different between them. so when it comes to glocks i would use my money for ammo, not after market parts.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

RamRod, I am not going to ask why or request more information. I am just going to say, you are the man.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sponsored Links