Barrel cleaning/scrubbing

This is a discussion on Barrel cleaning/scrubbing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was having a conversation with a guy at work about gun cleaning. He said he doesn't use the copper bristle bore brushes because they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was having a conversation with a guy at work about gun cleaning. He said he doesn't use the copper bristle bore brushes because they scratch the barrel. Generally I clean my guns right after I use them so I don't have to use a brush but what do you do if you buy a used gun that's really dirty and needs to be scrubbed? Will the copper bore brushes hurt the barrel if you scrub back and forth to get all the crap out? I know it scratches the inside of the barrel a bit but how much does it really matter/affect the barrel? How do you guys clean a really dirty barrel?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Soak it first with a pad saturated with cleaning fluid, to let it loosen the gunk. Blast it out with some compressed(or canned air). Wet another pad and work back/forth through the barrel. getting as much of the loosened stuff out. If it's really bad then use the brush, long smooth strokes the length of the barrel, not short strokes. Make sure the brush is wet with a lubricating cleaner and be gentle. Blast with air again, then clean with dry pads until the last pad comes out clean.. If I know I won't be shooting the gun in the near future, I dampen another pad with some CLP or Rem-Oil and coat the inside of the barrel.
    Any gun that sits for 6 months or more, gets another oiled pad treatment, along with a good wipe down with a silicone treated gun cloth.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

What would be the affect if the barrel had some light scratches inside from a bore brush?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I have yet to see a copper/bronze brush scratch a gun barrel.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Yea I can't say I have either I was just curious.

I use a similar process as Rugergirl....except use a boresnake....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Ditto, if you think about it, every jacketed bullet you shoot is a high speed Copper brush.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

EW3
    Steel barrel = hard metal
    Copper or Bronze brush = soft metal

I don't see how any kind of scratching could occur. Am I missing something here?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Nope I agree, I was debating it with a guy at work and thought I was missing something to but I don't see how copper brush could scratch a SS metal barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Steel barrel = hard metal
    Copper or Bronze brush = soft metal

I don't see how any kind of scratching could occur. Am I missing something here?
    We have a winner.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Lead and copper both being softer than stainless steel, makes me believe that scratching isn't likely. Grit that may build up in the barrel from shooting, would probably be more of a concern than the brushes themselves. That is why Dad taught me to get any loose gunk out of the barrel and cylinders with solvents and compressed air before I use a brush if it's even needed.
    I am fastidious about my guns being clean, part of the way I was raised and it's stayed with me for 40 years.
    And as far as hubby's little remarks about the guns being cleaner than the house...
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

If that were true, the copper jackets on rounds would scratch the barrels within a few hundred rounds.

I clean my guns religiously with a brush, solvents, a toothbrush and a few pads. Never had a problem, unless you consider a nice clean gun a problem :P
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    And as far as hubby's little remarks about the guns being cleaner than the house...
    Tell hubby there's a solution. One cheap and one expensive and he gets to choose which.

Cheap solution: Point at the broom closet and tell him all the necessary tools for him to get to to work are in there.

Expensive solution: Point to ads in Yellow Pages for housekeeping services.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I think everyone is pretty much in agreement here and other sites too.

Mop barrel with solvent and let it soak
    Run mop back through barrel
    Run brush through barrel (from breach to bore several times)
    Remop barrel
    Run patches through until they come out clean.

My last step is to put one drop of REM oil on a patch, wad it up to lightly mosten the entire patch and make a pass through the barrel with a jag.

No problems after ?? years.

Best!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    It is not like we routinely scrape the inside of the barrel with copper bullet jackets at high speed, pressure, and temperature... oh wait, yes we do. :)

A little bronze brushing will be no problem.

The barrel will be fine. Keep mud and grit out of it, clean from the breach out, be careful with the crown on the muzzle, and don't change directions while in the bore.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links