Got A Question

This is a discussion on Got A Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So i didnt know where to post this so i figured this would be the best place. Admin please feel free to move it if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got A Question

Got A Question

So i didnt know where to post this so i figured this would be the best place. Admin please feel free to move it if it posted this in the wrong place. My situation is this im 5'9 id say around 160 and my problem is i have a problem concealing I carry a Ruger SR9 in a level 2 BlackHawk Serpa holster. The style of clothes i wear is usually just jeans and a loose fitting shirt but some how the pistol still prints. Im just curious if anyone else has had this problem and what they've done to solve it or would i just be better off going to a subcompact because of my stature? Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

jgp
    Well, there's printing and then there's printing. If it just looks like you might or might not have something under your shirt, but it could be anything, fine. If it looks like a gun, no mistake about it, that's a problem. Most people aren't paying enough attention to spot you. Make it work for you if that's the gun that fits your hand and that you shoot well.
    Texas CHL Instructor
    http://safety-on.com

JD
    Administrator
    The problem may not be the size of the gun, but rather the out of the waistband (OWB) holster that you're carrying it it. OWBs stick out farther, OWBs with a paddle stick out a little more.

If you're carrying with the paddle attachment, try going to the belt mount only it might help some, but I'd wager that a different holster or a slimmer gun and different holster are probably going to be in order for concealment under a shirt only.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Before I'd switch to another gun. I'd try a different holster. For me what works best is a pancake type holster followed by a scabbard type.
    Along with a good sturdy gun belt, you might be surprised at what you can hide.
    But if you are thinking of a second firearm, by all means, I would never suggest not to buy another gun
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

now the serpa holster came with a paddle option and i have wore it in both styles and ive asked dad if it prints anymore or less and he says it prints more with the belt then the paddle option. now ruger girl i was actually thinking about getting a kel-tec PF-9.

Do you like the Ruger SR9? You chose it for specific reasons I'm assuming. How about the holster? Is it the only one you've tried to conceal your pistol with?
    I'm a jeans/t-shirt man myself. Physical build....maybe the same...I'm 6'1" and 200lb. Proportionately, we may be the same...me just simply being a larger version of you while keeping the proportions the same. See what I'm saying? So in all respects, whatever I can conceal, you should be able to as well, and vice verse. I didn't want to drastically change my wardrobe, so I experimented with other methods of where (body position of carry, and holsters). We are all unique, and the available combination of pistols, holsters, clothing, personal choices, discomfort and pain thresholds, location of hardware, etc........ is so immense we cannot begin to define it in mathematical terms. That my friend is reality. Now...your pistol choice.....do you want to change that? You know if you do, then your holster choice will likely have to be changed as well. How about your attire? You willing to wear a trench coat year round, or you want to stick to what you've got? Your holster........ready to change that? How about where you wear your holster now? Will your holster work if you change the position you wear it in? If your current holster won't work for a change in position around your waist, and you like your current pistol, I'd look to a more modular holster first. This may or may not be the simplest change you can make, but I'm betting it is. In turn, and everything else remaining stable....I'll almost bet the holster change will cost you less than any of the other changes you're thinking about. Word on holsters from a 'check your wallet' frame of mind (because I know once holsters are mentioned, most want to be as frugal as possible, and holster dollars in general won't divide into ammo dollars). It's give and take, here and there, and in our priorities, our minds frequently reason the ways we should short ourselves in one aspect in order to pursue another that's seemingly more important at the time. Our minds can limit us in so many ways, and there are ways of limiting our minds to do so.
    Like I've said before....CC is a change of life and lifestyle......for some it's a rather easy adaption, for some it's work, and trials and tribulations to get where they want to be. In other terms, CC and a permit is not exactly going to be a wave that washes over you and you come out the other side as an experienced surfer from Laguna Beach. You may come out soaking wet. Then again, there are those who don't want to be shark bait.
    All in all, pick the easiest way to change what you're doing now (I say holster or position). Sometimes the simplest answers to our dilemmas escape us. Want a simple quality holster that won't break the bank? I like High Noon holsters personally. That's not a plug for them, it's just that my ideals go along with them. Keep it simple....change one thing at a time. I'm just thinking you need a more modular holster to begin with. Your "stature" has little to do with anything IMO.

VIP Member
    Are you sure it is printing. Do people notice it without being ask? When someone is specifically looking for a gun, then they'll spot it. Most don't notice, unless it is brought to their attention. Of course your in VA according to your profile, so no foul/no harm even if they do notice.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I probably forgot to mention this in the beginning but I do have multiple holsters and pistols that I can carry i just prefer my ruger because of the high cap mag which is 17+1. But for some reason doesnt matter what style clothes, pistol or holster I wear theres always a HUGE print either you can see the back of the pistol poking out or the holster shows. Archer your right but I always go back to what my grandfather taught me when i was younger "no sense in drawing unneeded attention to yourself". I dont know maybe I'm just thinking way too much into the matter i am legal to carry concealed but the last thing i want is to be questioned about why am i carrying or go into a business where i can carry and have people follow me to make sure im not a "BG". now if it would help with any advice i can list what i do have as far as pistols and holsters

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    In my experience your SERPA is not a good holster to hide any gun under a tee.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

yeah i realized that shortly after i got it Agave, last thing i want to do is stop carrying my ruger as i have gotten used to carrying it, plus you cant beat 17+1 in the chamber with a standard SR9 mag lol

Try a pancake or beltslide holster. It's a much better profile and prints less with my G19 than my Serpa does. A good belt will keep it pulled in tight and not let the gun sag outward either.

now im going to go off topic for a second and ask about carrying an ASP. I dont know if its legal to carry one even with a permit in VA ive searched online as much as i could but came up with nothing. now would carrying an ASP be a good trade off for a firearm in some cases? and thanks to all the replies im actually looking into trying an IWB holster as soon as i get the money id like to get a crossbreed any insite on their holsters?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    now im going to go off topic for a second and ask about carrying an ASP. I dont know if its legal to carry one even with a permit in VA ive searched online as much as i could but came up with nothing. now would carrying an ASP be a good trade off for a firearm in some cases? and thanks to all the replies im actually looking into trying an IWB holster as soon as i get the money id like to get a crossbreed any insite on their holsters?
    The Virginia permit is a Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun, not a concealed weapons permit, it does not allow you to carry anything other than a handgun.

As for the asp, while not specifically prohibited by code, they aren't exactly the best choice for a defensive weapon, you kind of need to know what you're doing with one to make it work effectively. As a bludgeoning object, it's really not that great. I think I'd rather have OC spray than the stick.

Administrator
    Ditch the serpa.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Try a supertuck or something else IWB.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links