You Guys That DO NOT Reload... How Do You Afford to Shoot A Lot?

This is a discussion on You Guys That DO NOT Reload... How Do You Afford to Shoot A Lot? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It all really boils down to this: How much do you shoot per given period of time? Factor the cost of ALL reloading equipment..... THEN....factor ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You Guys That DO NOT Reload... How Do You Afford to Shoot A Lot?

It all really boils down to this:
    How much do you shoot per given period of time?
    Factor the cost of ALL reloading equipment.....
    THEN....factor in the cost of reloading SUPPLIES (ie, bullets, powder, etc.)
    THEN...factor in your time to DO the reloading.....
    IF...after ALL the factoring.....you can STILL come out with a price-per-box figure LOWER with reloads....THEN....reloading is a cost-effective measure....
    OTOH...you MIGHT find the cost of reloads vs. factory (bulk) is a wash....
    Then again....a lot of folks who reload do it for the satisfaction of "rolling their own' and getting EXACTLY what they want (think cigarettes...)...plus many find it a relaxing and enjoyable hobby....nothing wrong with that, afa I can see......!
    Personally...I"d love to reload...I've though about it a lot lately....but I really don't have the spare time to devote to the craft..and, after all's said and done.....I would likely have a hard time recouping my initial investment in equipment, given the number of rounds I'd probably load in any given, say, month.....
    End of the day......like"What gun should I buy?"....."Should I reload?" has to be a personal matter -- what's "right" for me may well NOT be "right" for you!!
    (Dismounts soapbox.......)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My employer pays for it. Other than that, we have a group of guys that buys ammo by the pallet. Bulk purchases save a lot of money.
    Us too.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Right now I can get BVAC ammo for 169 a case of 9mm plus shipping. The rounds are factory reloads. I figured with prices like that reloading would way too long to break even.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Georgia Arms - AMMUNITION

they keep me shooting, good people,good ammo, good prices.

I've bought A LOT of there .38 wadcutters for range ammo.
    Thanks for the link!!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Not quite so much. You save reloading 9mm but shopping around can cut it closer. Even Wally World has Federal Champion 115 FMJ for $9.99 per 50. I picked up 600 rounds of it this weekend. Your still saving almost $3 per 50 though.
    Yea right. I'm lucky if to find the WWB for $13/50. I've only seen FC in stock ONCE in two years and I bough it all. And like you said, I'm still saving $3 a box, and could save more if I went with lead bullets, bought powder in larger quantities, and bought more primers at once.

I do value my time, but I consider a job well done invaluable. If I'm having fun doing it and it's not pushing something aside then by all means I'm going to do it.

I thought long and hard about reloading and to be honest, the only reason I'm doing it is because I can find the components to reload much easier than I can find ammo. The savings is just a bonus.

I reload and I don't buy powder a pound at a time,I buy 8 pounds of powder for around 96.00 $12.00 pound and I buy 32 pounds at a time, primers were $20.00 1000 I buy about 30,000 at a time,bullets I cast from wheel weights and lube $10.00 1000my reloads cost me between $50.00 to $60.00 1000 9mm,40 S&W,45acp,223 1000 $150.00,I've paid for over $3500.00 in reloading equipment in savings over the last 4 years when I started getting a queasy feeling about gun and ammo restrictions and started buying powder and primers when they were still fairly cheap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote:

I have a really good paying job and I dont have time to reload!
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Moga,

Since when did .40 S&W start using large pistol primers? How do you get that large primer in that small hole is what I want to know?
    Oops, my bad. It was a guess -- I don't reload. For the purposes of my cost estimation, the worst that could result is building too much expense into my pricing model by using large primers than not enough. Anything that starts with 4 = large; that was my rationale.

Thanks for the tip. Out of curiosity, what calibers require large primers?
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll use shotgun shells for my example, because I just ordered some;

A pallet of shells consists 60 flats (600 boxes) of AA runs about $3700. That's $6.25 a box and $4.50 or so savings over retail.

Now $3700 is a nice chunk of change for sure. But, get some guys to go in with you, and it isn't so bad. You just have to have a little cash up front, instead of buying a box here and there.

To further the savings, I can typically sell back the hulls to reloaders and have enough to buy a crate or two of clays.

The ratio of savings is pretty much the same in pistol or rifle ammo, but I really haven't paid much attention to the figures because I don't pay it. I just submit a purchase order and a truck brings it to the office.
    Wow. That's significant savings. I'd get all over that bulk buy too if I had an in.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I don't have any reload equipment or experience with that. However, a colleague of mine is willing to teach me. In the mean time, 9mm and .45 ammo has dropped in price quite a bit out where I shop, so I've been stocking up quite a bit. lately. Once I learn how to reload and buy the equipment, I'll most likely start doing my own ammo.

Credit card fraud.

Just kidding, of course. I only shoot around 1500 rounds a year(pistol that is.). About 3 boxes a month or so, so it's not too expensive. 12 gauge field loads are cheap, as are .22lr, and 7.62x39mm is still on the cheapish side, so those tend to be what I primarily shoot instead of my .40 Glock.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I couldn't afford to shoot if I didn't handload. I'm really not sure where some of these numbers folks come up with come from, but I "save" an average of 50-80% over factory ammunition, depending on what I am handloading. Yes, I shoot mostly lead bullets (most of which I cast myself). Lead bullets, done right, make ammunition just as good as jacketed at a fraction of the expense. Excessive leading is generally a sign of poor bullet hardness choice and/or poor bullet sizing. I find that my guns are easier to clean after a range session with lead bullets than one with jacketed ones.

Folks like to talk about how cheap .22 ammunition is. While I own a couple of .22 LR caliber firearms, I don't shoot them much. One of my favorite cartridges to shoot is .32 H&R Magnum. Its very expensive from the factory, if one can find it. However, since I acquired a sufficient quantity of brass (which can be reused many times and doesn't get lost since I shoot it in revolvers) I can handload .32 H&R Mag for just slightly more expense than buying bulk boxes of .22 LR at ChiComMart. Plus, I don't have to worry about .22 LR bulk boxes being in stock and .32 H&R is a lot more fun to shoot in my opinion. I see .22LR ammunition as being mostly a waste since the brass can't be handloaded. I shoot less .22 than anything else.

I'm also generally amused with people who want to assign some kind of dollar amount to their time. The only time that "free time" is worth money is when one could be working for money and chooses not to do so in favor of doing something else with that time. That why its called "free time". If one doesn't factor in the "cost" of time spent watching television or cooking dinner or going to the range, then one shouldn't do so for time spent handloading either. The kind of people who worry about the "cost" of their time spent doing such tasks are not the kind of people who should be handloading; they obviously don't have the right personality for it.

As for what uses large pistol primers, off the top of my head: .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .41 Magnum, & 10mm Automatic.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote:

I work for ammo and guns at a range.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    22lr conversions
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I'm just starting to get into reloading. A buddy of mine was selling his stuff (all Dillon gear) and I bought it. I'm very busy right now and setting it up is taking a while... I like the idea of it & with the speed of a progressive, I am thinking I could do 400+ rounds an hour, so time's not a huge deal, but I do wonder about it and think I "might" be biting off more than I can chew... I am wondering though, is there much in-between the two extremes? Handloading your own ammo vs. all factory stuff? From what I can tell, you save about 70% of your cash by reloading brass (assuming you have the willingness to be a brass rat at the range) you already have vs. buying factory fresh ammo.

The only other option I have found is buying reloads from a friend or small business that you trust. Of course, that can be dicey, depending on the amount of risk you are willing to take.
    I sell all of your needs for reloading. The only problem is small handgun primers. I have 3 distributors but most are usually out of stock. They are good about allocating me but it is strictly a hit or miss proposition. I take the supply it when it is available or I miss and go back to the end of the line.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links