Centre Co. PA mail in permits to end

This is a discussion on Centre Co. PA mail in permits to end within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Actually all PA Counties. New state law requires in person applications. Permit law changes could cost county | Penn State News | Local - Centre ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centre Co. PA mail in permits to end

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Centre Co. PA mail in permits to end

Actually all PA Counties. New state law requires in person applications.

Permit law changes could cost county | Penn State News | Local - Centre Daily Times

Permit law changes could cost county
    Anne Danahy

When someone asks Ken Hanson with the Buckeye Firearms Association where to go for a Pennsylvania firearms license, he points them to the Centre County Sheriff’s Office.

“I know from experience that Centre County has a professional operation and gets the license turned around,” said Hanson, legislative chairman of the Ohio group.

The reputation draws thousands of out-of-state applications for licenses to carry concealed firearms into Centre County each year — and thousands of dollars in revenue for the county. But that money will likely dry up in 2011 when a state law aimed at standardizing and modernizing Pennsylvania’s licensing takes effect.

According to the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency, one change will be that gun owners applying for Pennsylvania licenses to carry will have to appear in person to have a photo license created and sign for it. The commission is implementing the system, under the 2005 law, with state police and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs’ Association.

While some counties already issue licenses with photos or require in-person applications, Centre County doesn’t. Sheriff Denny Nau said the county processed about 9,900 licenses to carry last year, more than half of them from out of state. Nau said the new system will be nicer and easier, but it will probably mean a huge drop in the number of licenses his office processes and the money that it brings in. At $26 a license, with $20 of that going to the county, processing those out-of-state applications brought in almost $100,000 a year.

“We didn’t start this as a revenue (generator) because we never thought it was going to be like this,” Nau said. Centre County’s status as a magnet for out-of-state applications apparently had its start in 2004, because of changes in concealed weapons permitting in Missouri.
    Advertisement

The commonwealth has reciprocity agreements with 17 states that recognize Pennsylvania licenses to carry a concealed gun. At that time, Missouri’s permitting was caught up in legal wrangling and the state temporarily stopped issuing permits.

Missourians began to turn to Pennsylvania for weapons permits that would be recognized in the Show Me State. Nau said that his office got a phone call from a Missourian inquiring about getting a license, and that information ended up being posted on the World Wide Web. And things snowballed.

“Centre County got hundreds of requests,” Nau said.

Even though things have changed in Missouri, the requests are still coming.

Jim Bonner, of Sidney, N.Y., wanted to get a license to carry that would be recognized in Georgia, where his brother has a farm that is being plagued with wild hogs.

“They’re very vicious and very big, and it’s nice to have a handgun in case something goes wrong,” he said.

Bonner said he has a New York license but, unlike Pennsylvania, New York does not have reciprocal agreements with other states. He was advised to obtain a Pennsylvania license, and when he did an Internet search, Centre County popped up.

He printed the application, filled it out and mailed it to Nau’s office with a copy of his concealed weapon permit from New York, a copy of his driver’s license and a $26 check.

“It was actually fairly simple,” he said.

Under the new state law, counties will have to have systems — including photo machines, driver’s license swipers and electronic signature pads — that meet the state requirements in place by the end of March 2011.

Pike County Sheriff Philip Bueki said while some counties already issue permit cards with photographs, most of those systems won’t meet the state regulations that are being implemented. Bueki is the Pennsylvania Sheriffs’ Association representative on the advisory committee that is helping the state implement the new system.

He said the changes are a question of safety and security. That means presenting an identification in person. Out-of-state mail-in applications, he said, are “going to come to a screeching halt.”

When an applicant does show up in person at a county sheriff’s office, his or her driver’s license will be swiped and the information automatically transferred into the system. That will be submitted to state police for a background check.

“I think it’s a great move,” Bueki said. “I think we have a couple of concerns with it. When anything new comes out, it gets confusing. A lot of people are resistant to change. But I think as serious as carrying a permit is, it should be uniform throughout the state.”

The fee that counties charge to process each license includes $5 that has been going to a state fund set up specifically to help counties pay for the change. Centre County and others have been applying for $15,000 noncompetitive grants to pay for the needed equipment.

Bueki said one of the concerns is how counties will pay for equipment upgrades or repairs in the future, after the $5 fee and the $1 million in funding it was meant to create is gone.

“It’s nice to implement it. We raised over a million dollars to do it, but counties are having a tough time now,” he said. “It’s not fair to ask them to shell out the money (for future equipment). It’s a state mandate.”

Nau said he would like the state to let counties keep the $5 fee in place.

“We could send that money to the county, to help pay for equipment down the road,” he said.

Anne Danahy can be reached at 231-4648.

Read more: Permit law changes could cost county | Penn State News | Local - Centre Daily Times
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

so if the mail in applications stop , they will always find other alternatives. The people who want a LTCF form PA can pay a visit to the great state of PA and bring tourist attraction revenues.

Guess it's a good thing I just recently took advantage of this mail opportunity with Centre County-I had my Pennsylvania permit in one week.
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

VIP Member
    Sounds like time to send in my app.

If I read that right, we will still be able to until March 2011, right?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Glad I already have one, so what about renewals in a couple years? Will I have to appear in person for a renewal?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    I wonder how this will impact renewing your out of state permit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Glad I already have one, so what about renewals in a couple years? Will I have to appear in person for a renewal?
    Yes.

I've been in contact with Denny Nau and he indicates that is the case.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    Wow, they are really trying to cut revenue aren't they.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    This is what I received from Sheriff Denny Nau..................

I am guessing you will have a problem at renewal
    >> time. In addition with the Canadian residence issues,
    >> prior to May, 2011 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is going
    >> to a new licensing system. The new system will make it
    >> necessary to have the person appear personally at the
    >> issuing authority to have their photo taken, swipe their
    >> driver's license to capture all data along with signing via
    >> an electronic signature pad.
    >>
    >> This new law may exclude most out of state applicants.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I don't understand in the least how this will have a positive impact on the state. who comes up with this crap, and who passes it?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

When the pols see the out-of-state money dry up, they will have to reconsider how misguided their new law is. Pols always love money. Wonder how many out-of-state PA. CCW holders shot or killed anybody to require a re-work of the law.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

$$ say Goodbye to PA.

Say hello to FL.

That's it, if there is no problem make one up and fix it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I too went through Centre County as well for my own NR permit.
    The people were really helpful over the phone and the process painless.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

appearing in person for a renewal wouldn't be the end of the world for me, I have family in PA so I go there now and again but I probably will not renew just on principle, that's ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links