Broken a law or ?

This is a discussion on Broken a law or ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I was approached by a person that I had traded a Mossberg 500A (was my Uncles after I had given it to him and ...

Thread: Broken a law or ?

Broken a law or ?

Okay, I was approached by a person that I had traded a Mossberg 500A (was my Uncles after I had given it to him and then he died and I got it back and didn't need it) for an old 20gauge single shot shotgun (collecting shotguns now). This was last November IIRC.

It turns out that it had been stolen and then was found in the vehicle of one of the people that comes over to his house. The person that had it is a felon.

Now, the reason that this guy approached me is that during the trade I asked him if he was allowed to own firearms, he shook his head yes. I made the trade. Well, it turns out that he himself is a felon .

So, now there is a felon in jail for having the firearm and the person that had it has now just told me that he is a felon, and the shotgun probably has my fingerprints all over it as well as the guy I traded with will tell them that I traded it with him (I don't know if he will tell them that I traded for another firearm but I sure will if asked).

I am now wondering if I broke the law. I always thought that if your knowingly gave/sold a firearm to a felon that you could be jailed for it. In my case I didn't know, he didn't tell me, and he traded the shotgun freely.

So, am I up the creek or ?

Wayne

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Check with an attny in your state , but in colorado you must knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person to be in trouble. ATF is another issue , all i can say is contact an attny in your state , and possibly a mod can delete this thread just in case ( matter of public record and admission if things go wrong ) hope for the bestfor you on this tho , obviously ( to me ) you had no intent to violate
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    One thing that comes to mind Wayne is - you made a sale/trade in good faith - meaning if you are given info from the buyer, you have to accept that as given, unless something very suspicious.

I do think it is worth having some paperwork to back up a sale/trade FTF - bill of sale type deal, on which maybe when signed there is a part saying the buyer is a non felon - so when he signs he is the one commiting the indiscretion.

Hard to know in this case really and best you could do if challenged is state you were led to believe all was Ok - you acted in good faith.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

OK Wayne....You KNOW that you should take free legal advice (given on the web) for what it is worth...and that is USUALLY not worth much at all...if anything.

That being said: If you want various opinions & just want to mull it all over in order to get some other Very Unofficial "takes" on what transpired then fine.

Please remember to take it all with a large block of salt.

Administrator
    Let's see if we can make all of this a bit clearer:
    The story is slightly confusing the way you have it worded up there.

> Back in November you traded the Mossberg shotgun to a person that "turned out" to be a prohibited person.

> The prohibited person that took posession of your shotgun traded you for a different shotgun that was in his posession. You traded him even ~ one shotgun for another.

> That person (a felon) misrepresented himself to you (at the time of the trade) & indicated (to you) that he was legal to possess a firearm.
    You assumed that he was LEGAL since he already owned one.

> Then the Mossberg firearm was stolen from the original prohibited person by yet another different prohibited person.

> You very recently became aware of the fact that the person you traded with back in November is prohibited.

> Now...your fear is that the second felon is going to tell the authorities that he got the shotgun from the original felon who will likely name you & the trail is going to lead back to you.

Is that all basically correct?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It never pays to get unduly bent out of shape over anything...until you know for sure that you have real reasons to be upset.

You have some positive things going for you.

They would be that it was a long gun rather than a handgun.
    Long gun laws are usually less restrictive.

You probably have no criminal history.

You did not knowingly or intentionally do anything wrong.

Oregon would be a pretty good State for this to have happened in.

Below was copied from "Gun Laws State By State"

I don't know how much of it is applicable to your situation.

Oregon ~ Frequently Asked Questions:

Rifles and Shotguns

Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.

Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.

Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.

Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No.

Handguns

Permit to purchase handgun? No.

Registration of handguns? No.

Licensing of owners of handguns? No.

Permit to carry handguns? Yes. A permit is required if concealed.

QK,

> Now...your fear is that the second felon is going to tell the authorities that he got the shotgun from the original felon who will likely name you & the trail is going to lead back to you.
    Not afraid that it's going to come back to me. Just know that if the first person that I traded with will probably try to do something to get themselves out of trouble by trying to put it on someone else (me). But, not "in fear".

You had everything right up to this point though. Just basically put this in here to find out if I was in some type of gray area and to also point out that anyone, even people that you do know somewhat, can lie to you and also not to assume that just because they own firearms they aren't prohibited from them but have them anyway.

Wayne

Dang wayne hope it doesnt come back on ya let us know what happens..

Here we arent required to go though ffl for rifle or shottie but a pistol i would have to so i could be in the same boat if i sold a rifle or shottie to joe blow

VIP Member
    Good luck there Wayne!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    I would research the law and consider contacting a attourney and Law Enforcement. If a felon has a gun in his possesion , he should be relieved of said weapon.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Sounds like it would be well spent money to talk to an attorney just so you are perfectly clear where you stand. Most laws require an "intent" to commit a crime. Certainly sounds like that didn't occur from your end.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I would contact an attorny but I would "NOT" contact law enforcement unless you are contacted by them first. I would not give LEO's the chance to turn things around on you and think they are going to hit a home run and put everybody in jail. Chances are this dude does not even have your info right? your finger prints on the gun is unlikely because of others handeling it, wiping it down or whatever. Also it is not likely LE with print it anyway as they have there man already in jail, felon in possision of a gun, slam dunk for them. Case close!

I'd say don't sweat it and truthfully I wouldn't even contact an attorny unless or until LE contacts you (highly unlikely IMO). Also do not leave voice mails for your attorny saying anything other than you need to talk to him/her about a situation you have.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Links