.40 cal in glock or change to 357 sig barrel

This is a discussion on .40 cal in glock or change to 357 sig barrel within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok now I dont want to start a fight between calibers here I just know quite a bit about the 40 but nothing about the ...

Thread: .40 cal in glock or change to 357 sig barrel

Ok now I dont want to start a fight between calibers here I just know quite a bit about the 40 but nothing about the 357 sig and Im looking for input from people who have shot them both, preferably thru a glock

1 do you gain anything
    2 is the kick worse or better
    3 speed vs size
    4 anything else of importance

Thanks by the way its a glock 27
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

357 sig is a good round, ballistically. To me it seemed very loud. I would imagine in low light it would have a lot of muzzle flash. I am not sure how well the 9mm bullets work with the added 300 FPS.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I have a Glock 32 with the 40 barrel.

1. I gained more penetration with the .357 sig, during winter months people wear more clothing.

2. Kicks a little harder, but more of a straight back vs. a the flippy 40

3. Depending on the load, standard loads 357 sig more speed. 40 slightly bigger round.

4. Importance .. yes the .357 sig ammo is expensive ! LOL.

I think the only advantage of the .357 sig is barrier penetration versus the 40. But if you live a warm area the 40 is fine, live up north and people are packing on a lot of clothing I would carry the .357 sig during winter.
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

If you already have the G27, I'd stick with the .40, but if you're considering buying one, I'd go with the G33. I just love the performance of the .357 Sig. Tex answered your questions well.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Hey, penetration is always a good thing, but honestly? There ain't much difference in service caliber pistol rounds. 9mm, .45 ACP, .40 or .357 Sig all do perty much the same job with perty much the same result. Why modify your gun? (Not smart for a defensive piece anyway).

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

You'll find there's a noticeably louder report with the .357 SIG round, and, if you're shooting from a covered area, there'll be more muzzle blast concussion felt.

People immediately adjacent to you on the firing line MAY even try to get relocated, if possible, because you're distracting them!

Its a good round but I don't care for it. What purpose does it have? I don't know ...maybe just to be different. I decided to get rid of my 357Sig after doing much much reading on it. Yes, I still have my 9 and 40 and probably won't ever get rid of them.
    Imo it really seemed like an in-between round of the 9 and 40. The 9 and 40 can do the same, about the same, or if not better than the 357Sig. Plus the increased muzzle flash, and recoil, and sound really wasn't a "ooo look its shiny" sell point to keep it. I purchased it on a impulse buy ooops lol.
    To each their own...good luck in your decision.

VIP Member
    I can't speak to the Glock.

However, I had a Sig 2340 with both barrel.

My experience was about the same as Tx1911 plus the point of impact between the two was quite a bit more different that between different loads in the same caliber.

I suspect the same might be true w/ a Glock
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Several friends of mine have had a assortment of glocks chambered in .40S&w. Everyone of them at some point have tried a .357 SIG barrel in their respective guns. None of them went back to the 40.

I have swapped out my .40 for the 357sig in my G27 and I like the round a lot. I have the .40 barrel in my range case for practice fire. .40 is a lot cheaper and more readily available.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

I am a big fan of the 357Sig , I have 40 & 357 barrels for my G27 and Sig229. I wear hearing protection when I shoot so I don't really notice any difference in the report, and the 357Sig may have a little more snap in the recoil, but not that much.

I get my 40S&W ammo for free, so I do shoot it (40) more, but shoot the 357Sig quite a bit and carry it more.

The 357Sig has better ballistics across the board, but there is absolutly nothing wrong with the .40S&W.

As for it being a bad idea to modify your carry gun, this really isn't a modification, it is only a barrel swap, slide, frame, guide rod, and magazines are all the same, and I bought factory barrels, so I don't think it matters at all. I've never had a problem with the Glock or Sig, which were both 40s, when using the 357Sig barrel. You can even order the Sig229 from the factory with both barrels, so if it comes from the factory with both barrels, then obviously the factory doesn't consider this (non)modification a problem.

Buy a barrel, $125 or so and then you have both!

I think you will like it!
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

i know that the people that change over to the 357sig like it and stay with it. to me it is an increased muzzle flash, recoil, and sound over the 40 s&w. but several of the local departments have gone to it and turned in their 40's, 45's, and 9's.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

With a short Bbl. I prefer the 40 and with longer Bbl's I like the 357 Sig. 357 has a "sharper" quick recoil but I find follow ups to be faster than the slower shove of the heavier 40. The 357 Sig is the most accurate Pistol cartridge that I have ever fired compared to 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 380, 32 or 25. The 45acp 185 gr. is second IMHO.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm planning on getting a G22 and then conversion barrels in 9mm and .357 Sig. The ability to shoot 3 different rounds is too good to pass up to me. Since this isn't meant to be a CC firearm, I'm not too concerned about any "mod" issues. I also reload, so availability and cost of ammo isn't a big concern to me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links