Anyone get their FFL?

This is a discussion on Anyone get their FFL? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thinking about getting a class 1 FFL, there are a lot of kits out there but they seem too slick and contain contradictory information. Has ...

Thread: Anyone get their FFL?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Anyone get their FFL?

Thinking about getting a class 1 FFL, there are a lot of kits out there but they seem too slick and contain contradictory information. Has anyone had experience with obtaining a FFL recently and did you use any of these "kits". I am looking to set up in my home.

2. Remove Ads

Well as i under stand the class 1 ffl you have to have a store front to get one per the 1995 fed law change on ffl lic.

im thinking about getting my FFL as well my fathers done research on the topic and he was the one who actually suggested i get it as well as go to a gunsmith school in PA.

I'll be getting the paperwork this next week matter of fact. Just order from the federal ATF, and your local ATF free by request. The so called kits will only give you tips on how to fill out the forms, what to look for, and what to say, and what to possibly expect. I think I've gathered enough information and credentials on my own to submit and get approved the first time around. That, and we're moving out of some excess red tape (city to county). Kind of shortens the list of approvals.

Senior Moderator
    The ATF will no longer issue FFL's unless you have a store front with a schedule of open hours.

They ran over 35,000 homeboys out of business (compliments of Bill Clinton) because they didn't want people that only sold a few guns a year to have an FFL.

The only other legitimate way to have an FFL without the store is to first get a Gunsmith license. That is now required to get an FFL. Do that and you will be good to go. You must have a Gunsmith certificate from an accredited course though.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The only other legitimate way to have an FFL without the store is to first get a Gunsmith license. That is now required to get an FFL. Do that and you will be good to go. You must have a Gunsmith certificate from an accredited course though.
    how long is a gunsmithing certification take? is it a expensive course to take? That would be something I would be very interested in doing
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Moderator
    Some are cheap, some are expensive. Some community colleges offer one and they run the spectrum from being very good to not so good.

What ever you do,make sure that the course is accredited so that the ATF will accept it with your application for the FFL.

I've known of two people that did some sort of correspondence course and it left a lot to be desired. Some come with tools, some dont. To get past the "parts changer" stage that most gunsmiths are at, you really need to take some basic machine shop courses in lathe or mill work.

We have a young man here in town that completed a 2 year school at the Colorado School of Gunsmithing, but he has no background in machining, nor does he have the tools to do so. The complicated stuff he brings to me.

Do an internet search, there is lots of info on it. There are some online courses that that say you can complete in a few months if you take an interest in it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links