Vote with your dollar!

Vote with your dollar!

This is a discussion on Vote with your dollar! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A man I met told me an interesting way of converting businesses with "no weapons allowed" signs posted. He and all of his friends (they ...

Thread: Vote with your dollar!

Vote with your dollar!

A man I met told me an interesting way of converting businesses with "no weapons allowed" signs posted. He and all of his friends (they are older gentlemen) carry concealed. And they also carry business style cards with the words "No guns? No patronage from me" written on them. For a number of years, a chain restaraunt that sells spicy chicken wings (I'll let you guess which one) in my area had a "no guns" sign posted. They would periodically drop these cards off at this place, and others like it. The sign came down. It just goes to show you, sometimes the best way to get your point across is with the almighty dollar.

Some free cards were linked in a post here at http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-not-shop.html. They are for MO, but I'm sure they could be edited to fit other states.

Administrator
    This has been popular for a while now. And its a good idea IMO.
    One large, well known Ohio gun group though has done more harm than good. Theirs was so poorly written and had several spelling/grammatical errors. It was embarrassing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As Phantoms mentioned, we just talked about this in another thread a few days ago. The fact that one individual business took their sign down doesn't prove why they did it. It might have been because of the cards, it might not. Anyway, I'll repeat what I posted in that last thread:

I have a good understanding of the anti-gun mentality. I've not only been around it all my life, I used to have it. I also have a decent grip on how business owners think.

Even when worded in as benign and polite a manner as possible, I think that these cards are more likely to make an anti-gun business owner dig in rather than change their minds.

I suggest that a well written letter or even a personal talk with the owner would be more constructive (though still unlikely to work). These cards, while expressing logical points and letting an owner know that he lost one customer, still come across as being from "those gun nuts", and will rarely be left by a sufficient number of customers to make them think twice. It's not impossible, it's just very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    Even when worded in as benign and polite a manner as possible, I think that these cards are more likely to make an anti-gun business owner dig in rather than change their minds.
    I tend to disagree. They've already dug in buy posting the sign. A well stated card (such as the MO one) will give them a request with good reasons of why to change policy. Writing a letter expressing your views is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I tend to disagree. They've already dug in buy posting the sign. A well stated card (such as the MO one) will give them a request with good reasons of why to change policy. Writing a letter expressing your views is a good idea too.
    The posting of a sign might indicate digging in, but not necessarily so. Anti gun groups have dumped signs on businesses and hit them with every bit of hysterical propaganda; indifferent business owners might succumb just out of laziness.

And let's grant your point that they have dug in by posting. If that's the case, then a card left on their counter by an anonymous customer is very unlikely to help. Again, they'll see that as the action of "gun nuts", and again, there's not enough of us to hurt them (in most locales).

Try a well reasoned letter or even better, ask to speak to the owner or manager in person. Present a calm and positive face to gun ownership. Whether we mean it to or not, telling them you won't be coming back comes across as confrontational. That message should be delivered eventually, but only after you've done everything you can to change their mind through education and logic.

VIP Member
    It's amazing how many members have taken the time to write a polite, well thought out letter or e-mail to businesses that have no gun signs and have been able to convince the owners to re-think the sign and in many cases take them down. I prefer this approach myself.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Links