Defensive Carry banner

CZ P-01 or Sig P229 (9mm)

20K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  archer51 
#1 ·
I am having a hard time deciding on which on to get. I would like some input, I know both are great guns but I just can't decide. I would like some input from those who own 1 or both a sig and/or cz. thanks.

#3 ·
I'll start by saying this; you can't go wrong with either.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with the CZ. But not because its any better than the Sig, but because its simply different.

I think you will grow tired of the 229 rather quickly, as it will fill no different role than your G19 already does. Compared to the 19, the 229 will not carry near as well. Then there is the price.

All of the above could be said about the CZ too, but,
The CZ is a completely different animal. The action is unique, as is the trigger and design. I think the CZ would be a whole lot more fun as an addition to a collection. The big wow factor will some in ergonomics, especially coming from a Glock.

With it being different, brings some issues to think about prior to the purchase. Can you get magazines, parts and service locally?

#4 ·
Where can I get night sights for the cz, or can it be order with factory night sights? see the sig comes with night sights. Now I know that a gun coming with night sights is no reason to buy that gun. That's not the reason I am considering the P229. It's considered to be one of the best handguns out there. I really liked your post sixto, I like what you had to say about the cz.

#10 ·
Both are very good weapons. I've owned both brands. SIGs are reliable and accurate, so are the CZs. I now have the CZ 75D Compact PCR and no longer have the SIG. The CZ feels great in the grip area and seems to sit lower in my hand. :hand10:

Shoot them both and pick the one that calls your name the loudest.
Keech

#12 ·
CZ P-01 or Sig P229
I considered these two, as well. Ended up with the P-01 due to one major difference: controls. On the P-01, these are large, easy to manipulate and therefore essentially ambidextrous, even though neither gun is designed ambi. I simply cannot easily manipulate the smaller, tougher levers/buttons on the SIG, which are similar to those on Glock. The size of my hand and angles/strength involved simply make it very difficult to easily use the controls on such guns, for me.

Beyond that, the P-01 is a bit higher capacity, a bit lower weight. Ergonomics fit me very well, with the P-01, though that's very subjective. The P-01 feels large, but it fits my hand extremely well, with everything easily accessible and where it should be. Almost like the gun has been wrapped around the hand, custom fit.

Other than that, they're much the same. The SIG is known for its reliability, where the CZ tends to be little known, by comparison. Good support in the after-market (holsters, grips, parts). Nicely, at the time I purchased the P-01 it was also significantly lower priced.

Both are exceptional pistols. I would have no problem relying on either, whether as a carry gun or for IDPA-style competition.

Range Report -- CZ P-01.

#13 ·
I'm sure you'll be happy with either. As mentioned, what fits you better is the one that will be best for you.
When I went to purchase my first semi, I was interested in a Sig. The fella behind the counter suggested the CZ at a significant cost savings. I now own four other CZ's.

#14 ·
I own a P-01, among other CZ's and have handled the Sig 229. IMO the CZ has better ergonomics. The CZ also has a higher magazine capacity and weighs a little less than the Sig does. Add to that the CZ will run you quite a bit less to buy than the Sig. As for durability, see the link for torture test the P-01 went through for NATO certification.

CZ-USA -> CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols

#15 ·
Sixto is absoultely right both are excellent. I have a G23 and P228 which would be the same as your 19 and P229. The P228 does not carry nearly as well as the 23. It is an awesome gun. I have handled the CZ and it does feel absolutely awesome. I agree...get something different but as utterly reliable. The CZ I hear are an addiction. I wouldnt mind one myself....get the CZ

#16 ·
I have the P229 (in .40) and I can hardly find anything about it I don't like. It hasn't jammed once, has the awesome night sights, fits my hands perfectly, and is fairly compact. The only complaint I have is the double-action trigger pull, very stiff and hard to get used to. Aside from that I would recommend it to just about anyone. I can't comment on the CZ though, I've never fired one before.

#17 ·
Well I got the CZ P-01. I haven't shot it yet but I can't wait. I will be posting some pic tomorrow. while I was at the gun shop I also had night sight installed on my glock 19,its really cool. Its the first time I have ever had Night sight. I will be getting night sight on the CZ in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.