CZ P-01 or Sig P229 (9mm)

This is a discussion on CZ P-01 or Sig P229 (9mm) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am having a hard time deciding on which on to get. I would like some input, I know both are great guns but I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ P-01 or Sig P229 (9mm)

I am having a hard time deciding on which on to get. I would like some input, I know both are great guns but I just can't decide. I would like some input from those who own 1 or both a sig and/or cz. thanks.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I am having a hard time deciding on which on to get. I would like some input, I know both are great guns but I just can't decide. I would like some input from those who own 1 or both a sig and/or cz. thanks.
    i dont own one but the CZ feels so much better than Sig
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Administrator
    I'll start by saying this; you can't go wrong with either.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with the CZ. But not because its any better than the Sig, but because its simply different.

I think you will grow tired of the 229 rather quickly, as it will fill no different role than your G19 already does. Compared to the 19, the 229 will not carry near as well. Then there is the price.

All of the above could be said about the CZ too, but,
    The CZ is a completely different animal. The action is unique, as is the trigger and design. I think the CZ would be a whole lot more fun as an addition to a collection. The big wow factor will some in ergonomics, especially coming from a Glock.

With it being different, brings some issues to think about prior to the purchase. Can you get magazines, parts and service locally?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Where can I get night sights for the cz, or can it be order with factory night sights? see the sig comes with night sights. Now I know that a gun coming with night sights is no reason to buy that gun. That's not the reason I am considering the P229. It's considered to be one of the best handguns out there. I really liked your post sixto, I like what you had to say about the cz.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

CZ.

Administrator
    I'm pretty sure you can get the CZ from the factory with the night sights. They put them on the S model, so why not the compact...
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Once you hold a CZ in your hand you will want to buy one. I can't say the same for Sig.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I own both and both are great but I prefer the Sig.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

i prefer the SIG they are very durable weapons.

Both are very good weapons. I've owned both brands. SIGs are reliable and accurate, so are the CZs. I now have the CZ 75D Compact PCR and no longer have the SIG. The CZ feels great in the grip area and seems to sit lower in my hand.

Shoot them both and pick the one that calls your name the loudest.
    Keech
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

CZ P-01 or Sig P229
    I considered these two, as well. Ended up with the P-01 due to one major difference: controls. On the P-01, these are large, easy to manipulate and therefore essentially ambidextrous, even though neither gun is designed ambi. I simply cannot easily manipulate the smaller, tougher levers/buttons on the SIG, which are similar to those on Glock. The size of my hand and angles/strength involved simply make it very difficult to easily use the controls on such guns, for me.

Beyond that, the P-01 is a bit higher capacity, a bit lower weight. Ergonomics fit me very well, with the P-01, though that's very subjective. The P-01 feels large, but it fits my hand extremely well, with everything easily accessible and where it should be. Almost like the gun has been wrapped around the hand, custom fit.

Other than that, they're much the same. The SIG is known for its reliability, where the CZ tends to be little known, by comparison. Good support in the after-market (holsters, grips, parts). Nicely, at the time I purchased the P-01 it was also significantly lower priced.

Both are exceptional pistols. I would have no problem relying on either, whether as a carry gun or for IDPA-style competition.

Range Report -- CZ P-01.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either. As mentioned, what fits you better is the one that will be best for you.
    When I went to purchase my first semi, I was interested in a Sig. The fella behind the counter suggested the CZ at a significant cost savings. I now own four other CZ's.

VIP Member
    I own a P-01, among other CZ's and have handled the Sig 229. IMO the CZ has better ergonomics. The CZ also has a higher magazine capacity and weighs a little less than the Sig does. Add to that the CZ will run you quite a bit less to buy than the Sig. As for durability, see the link for torture test the P-01 went through for NATO certification.

CZ-USA -> CZ P-01 gets NATO approval. The next Generation of perfect pistols
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sixto is absoultely right both are excellent. I have a G23 and P228 which would be the same as your 19 and P229. The P228 does not carry nearly as well as the 23. It is an awesome gun. I have handled the CZ and it does feel absolutely awesome. I agree...get something different but as utterly reliable. The CZ I hear are an addiction. I wouldnt mind one myself....get the CZ
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links