I saw some VERY old guns...

This is a discussion on I saw some VERY old guns... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...while on an EMS run a little while ago. The lady said they had been her husband's, and yes, they were real. Slowly I crept ...

Thread: I saw some VERY old guns...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

I saw some VERY old guns...

...while on an EMS run a little while ago. The lady said they had been her husband's, and yes, they were real. Slowly I crept closer to the wall...

I really wanted to get pics but that would have been a bit much to ask her under the circumstances.

There were 2 long arms and one pocket arm. They all were flintlocks. The first long arm was labeled "BARNEY LONDON" on the right side lockplate. The other had no marks I could identify, and neither did the pocket arm, which had a very short barrel, maybe 3 inches, that was cut with six sides. All appeared to be circa revolutionary war.

She saw me admiring them so she told me I could come back and take them when I got off work. Just kidding! Hey I can dream, can't I?

They were beautiful although I suspect a bit 'over' restored.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

I've seen a true, unrestored, IIRC 68 caliber flintlock. And another almost the same of unknown origin. The first was inoperable and found at the school I used to work for. I could fit my thumb inside the barrel. I know what you mean, they are something to look at. It was close to 5 1/2' long. Cool stuff.

Are you sure it didn't have Barnett London on it?

Barnett London Flintlock
    Item #: JSM2133

Click image to enlarge
    Thomas Barnett & Co. of London, England, was a prolific firearms maker for British military weapons and for export to the colonies. This example is based on the legendary Brown Bess, Britain's standard infantry issue longarm for over a century (1722-1838.) This weapon was used during the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812 in America.
    This model, made for militia, follows the basic lines of the Brown Bess with smoothbore barrel, brass furniture-triggerguard, butt plate, nose cap, and ramrod thimbles. The maker's name is stamped in the loockplate right of the hammer with maker's mark also stamped in the stock near the butt. Top of the barrel reveals typical British proof marks. The letter "W" was carved into the butt stock. Condition is quite good overall with functioning original parts. Nice!

Price: $1,650.00 USD

From this site about halfway down the page:

JSMosby.com*Catalog

Another with pics here:

Antique Arms, Inc. - Untouched Enfield Pattern 1853 3 Band Barnett Rifle
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

VIP Member
    Speaking of old guns, what happened to the story that was posted here < a year ago, about the guy who found two old flintlocks hidden under his house. The OP was going to provide pictures?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Speaking of old guns, what happened to the story that was posted here < a year ago, about the guy who found two old flintlocks hidden under his house. The OP was going to provide pictures?
    I was thinking about the same thing...the old guns were in a cellar and wrapped in grease and old paper...from the 1700's right?
    Never did hear any more...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I was thinking about the same thing...the old guns were in a cellar and wrapped in grease and old paper...from the 1700's right?
    Never did hear any more...
    No pics ever added.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-rifles.html
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well it may have been BARNETT and not BARNEY, I was a bit rushed and the lighting was poor. She had lots of pics of her progeny on the table. I hope at least one of them has a taste for those arms when she goes, although since her husband has died and they still hang on the wall I sort of have my doubts. I'd hate to see them go to the dumpster or be tossed in the back of the garage.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links