Glock 23 slide Homemade Refinish help...

This is a discussion on Glock 23 slide Homemade Refinish help... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys, I just bought a Glock 23 from a friend, the gun is in rather good shape but has heavy holster/mexican carry wear marks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 slide Homemade Refinish help...

Glock 23 slide Homemade Refinish help...

Hi guys, I just bought a Glock 23 from a friend, the gun is in rather good shape but has heavy holster/mexican carry wear marks on the slide that i dont want to preserve... I know its a tool and stuff, but i want it to look good...

I need you to give me some homemade solution for this, i heard that the "black oxide" of the slide can be removed, preserving the tenifer treatment (as its inlayed a few cents of an inch in the steel)

Any homemade refinishing idea is welcome... the idea is to have an even color all around it, no matter if its black, grey, silver, chrome... or whatever, the idea for it is to be corrosion resistan and scratch proof...

Maybe blasting it and sending to a chrome shop.... ???

I dont want it to be too flashy, just a neat tool...

2. Remove Ads

I don't think any gun is scratch proof,but some coatings are scratch resistant,duracoat gun finish,or KG gunkote are some spray on finishes,the KG requires baking
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

i heard that sandblasted glocks dont rust...cause the tenifer remains embed in the metal...true??? im from argentina no gun kotes or resistant paints over here!!! :(

USPS flat rate box to Argentina is about $13 - order something online from US company.

I was thinking about...removing the black oxide finish with white vinegar or birchwood casey blue remover....to leave the natural tenifer finish exposed... You guys think it would work?

I think you should send the slide back to Glock and have them refinish it in original finish.

Im in Argentina... no way to send anything to glock from here... besides...i want to do it myself!!! its fun to mess with guns... dont you think?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xeriotti View Post
    i want to do it myself!!!
    Yes, it is fun to do things yourself, but many of the chemicals are dangerous and the process is tricky- especially to do the finish well and make it last. It is a mixture of hot acids, electricity, and near sterile cleanliness that most people don't have experience with.

There are do-it-at-home substitutes, but they are never as tough as the properly applied surface treatments.

One is often best of just leaving good enough alone. Or just neatly spray paint some camo pattern on the slide. If it rubs off, clean it and repaint.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Im in Argentina... no way to send anything to glock from here... besides...i want to do it myself!!! its fun to mess with guns... dont you think?
    Ah, well DYI seems to be it, then.

Ive done some treatments on metals... controlled oxidations, anodizing... and of couse paintworks....

Im really keen on knowing what will happen with teniffer if i use an acid solution to remove the black coating...

I've heard good things about duracoat
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

If you want to do it yourself, check brownells.com for some finish options. Many years ago I built up a 1911 that I finished with cerakote, which lasted until I sold the gun and lost track of it. Here's a link: NIC INDUSTRIES, INC. : CERAKOTE CERAMIC COATINGS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Good luck
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Ive done some treatments on metals... controlled oxidations, anodizing... and of couse paintworks....

Im really keen on knowing what will happen with teniffer if i use an acid solution to remove the black coating...
    look up: Salt bath ferritic nitrocarburizing

There are a lot of good metal surface treatment books in a college engineering library. The home methods just never quite work as well.

Note to would be gunsmiths: Only qualified persons should heat a gun barrel or other critical high stress firearm parts. One can quickly destroy steel heat treating and make the barrel unsafe to fire. Low stress things like the slide are fine to mess with...

best of luck!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Ship to Robar and get it coated in NP3
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Have it hard chromed!!!! Shiney stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links