BATFE says GSG-5 Fake Cans are now illegal...

This is a discussion on BATFE says GSG-5 Fake Cans are now illegal... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; GSG 5 Under Constant Attack BATF Says Fake Can Illegal Day At The Range...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BATFE says GSG-5 Fake Cans are now illegal...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Exclamation BATFE says GSG-5 Fake Cans are now illegal...

2. Remove Ads

The ATF has no constitutional authority to even exist. This crap has to stop.

Any chance of a pic,I can't figure what this is about?

VIP Member
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

So what they are saying is a gun I have owned for the last 2 years is now Illegal because of a metal cylinder covering the barrel that is Illegal because It looks too much like the real thing,Watch me start calling some congressmen from Texas on this BS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    It is quite simply an abuse of federal authority. There needs to be a better oversight system so that this sort of thing doesn't happen. There are no standards on how to judge things. If ATF gets cold feet about something they make it illegal.

One could go to home depot and put a plumbing pipe on their rifle, a "fake suppressor" and could be fined $250,000 or sent to prison for 10 years, or both. Sheesh.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    According to the ATF agent I spoke with a couple of weeks ago, there was a change made to the "CAN" between ATF approval and production.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Couldn't find anything on ATI's website or BATFE website thru search or list of rulings (none for 2010).

Is this about that tube deal on the front? All this about that? What a waste of governement money.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

Ati from ar-15.com

ATI / ATF SD Fake Suppressor Update - AR15.COM

To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.

Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.

IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16”. DO NOT RETURN THE SMALLER CARBINE SHROUD.
    WHAT TO DO:

If possible return your old shroud to the dealer where purchased and show him this notice. The shroud will be returned to ATI along with a list of serial numbers from the guns that the shrouds were removed. ATI will send replacements to the dealer for pick up at your convenience; ATI will be sending replacements as fast as logistics allow. If your dealer is out of business or difficult to reach, or you purchased your gun used, from a consumer, return the shroud directly by US mail or UPS to American Tactical Imports Inc. 100 Airpark Drive Rochester, NY 14624.
    PLEASE TRY NOT TO CALL US. We will provide comprehensive information on our web site www.americantactical.us , and www.ar15.com or by e-mail to atiexchange@americantactical.us

REMEMBER, INCLUDE THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER WITH EACH SHROUD OR A REPLACEMENT WILL NOT BE ISSUED.
    This action IS NOT being instituted through any fault and is strictly due to NFA compliance. American Tactical will assume the responsibility to satisfy the requirements in an effort to minimize the impact on our customers and protect your investment.
    We at American Tactical Imports Inc. sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely,
    Anthony DiChario
    President C.E.O. retailcandoc.021210
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Do we have the right to keep and bear arms or don't we?

It just never ends.

The fake suppressor doesn't suppress anything,it covers a skinny barrel that looks about as sexy as a plucked chicken without it,(disclaimer)Anybody from alabama that thinks plucked chickens are sexy disregard the previous satement
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

What a bunch of on the ATF's part. Approve it one year, declare it NFA the next...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    No crazier than the ATF ruling that quick release mounts on barrels for suppressors are suppressor parts and therefore suppressors themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    So what they are saying is a gun I have owned for the last 2 years is now Illegal because of a metal cylinder covering the barrel that is Illegal because It looks too much like the real thing,Watch me start calling some congressmen from Texas on this BS
    I don't own one of these but I believe my first call or email would be to ATI. I find it a bit odd that the letter states:
    PLEASE TRY NOT TO CALL US. We will provide comprehensive information on our web site American Tactical Imports , and AR15.Com or by e-mail to atiexchange@americantactical.us
    and yet I can find no information, not even a mention of it, on their web site.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links